Bell Cow Removed From Game

Bell Cow Removed From Game

Postby regenerator » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 pm

I have seen this a few times. I have a team with a bell cow RB, and at some point later on in the game (sometimes 2nd half) he is simply taken out and the rest of the game the backup RBs take all the carries. I thought this was bc of an injury, but checking after the game there is not injury to the bell cow RB. Whats going on here?
regenerator

Re: Bell Cow Removed From Game

Postby TalonHIFL » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:18 am

I know after around 20 carries even a 99 stamina RB sits out. One work around is not having any RBs behind him on the depth chart.

That keeps your RB1 in even after his 20-24 carry limit.
TalonHIFL

Postby regenerator » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. This is def a defect. My RB was taken out after 10! carries. Maybe he was taken out that earlier because he had already tallied 143 yards! Your workaround makes sense but what if your bell cow gets hurt?
regenerator

Postby brooks_piggott » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:43 pm

The game targets 15ish carries and as players get tired either from too many carries or too many yards they'll be subbed out. We had tons of complaints of too many RB's going for over 300 carries, so we ramped it down to a more normal level. In future versions I want to do a better job of players sitting out 3rd downs, or for whole series so they can get back in and spread the carries across the entire game instead of hitting a wall like they do now.
brooks_piggott

Postby TalonHIFL » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:33 pm

regenerator wrote:Thanks for the reply. This is def a defect. My RB was taken out after 10! carries. Maybe he was taken out that earlier because he had already tallied 143 yards! Your workaround makes sense but what if your bell cow gets hurt?

I've run into injury problems, and the game pulls my next best RB into the depth chart, so it still works unless you have a preference for a lower rated RB as a back up in certain formations.

I did have a RB who ripped off 2 80+ yard runs in the first quarter so he was at over 160, and never ran again, which was disappointing since I thought he'd easily get the single game rushing record in that game.
TalonHIFL

Postby bioeagle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:49 pm

I definitely think it should be by # of carries, not the # of yards. I've had a RB get over 100 yards on maybe 3 or 4 carries, then he is worthless the rest of the game. That is not realistic. If a RB has 30 yards rushing in the first quarter and then breaks open a 90yd run in the first quarter, he is not going to benched the rest of the game in the NFL.
CFA - Costa Rica Howlers
WWPF - Cleveland Browns
CSFL - Cincinnati Bengals
NCFA - BGSU & Navy
bioeagle

Postby regenerator » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:07 pm

Brooks, I know this was you guys well thought solution to an issue that a lot of user's complained about, but I think it's still broken.

The best solutions, esp in this game, imo, are the ones that are adjustable. Give us another slider or drop-down list. I feel like the 15th carry thing leaves us too hamstrung (pun intended).
What if you WANT 300+ carries? It may be uncommon today(Le'Veon had 321 in 2017), but large portions of NFL history featured true "bell cows", guys running 20-30 times a game. Even some 400-carry seasons. What if you want that style? With this 15-20 carry limit, yr stuck in 2017, and if i'm not mistaken, this means you could never run a, for instance, 1990's NFL-type league?
regenerator

Postby brooks_piggott » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Some of the code is in there to prevent people from "gaming" the system. We have other mechanisms now to help with this so we can alter some of those checks.
brooks_piggott

Postby regenerator » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 pm

So you could alter, if a user requests, the 15-carry limit so we could run 30 times a game if we want? FOr instance, I am running a 1998 season and need people like Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders, not to mention Better to rush for over 300 in a season.
regenerator

Postby regenerator » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 am

An idea came to me today -
Could you implement a checkbox in Options somewhere, labeled something like "300+". If this is not selected, then current logic rules apply regarding back carries being limited to 15, or certain number of yards, etc. If the checkbox was selected, then normal logic would apply and you could continue to feed your bell cow indefinitely. If someone wants to run a guy 50 times in a game, well, I would say the player at the very least would become so exhausted that their performance on the field would be severely limited, and more likely some kind of injury would take them out. No strange, abnormal logic/code need be implemented - normal laws of physics and body performance serve to limit # of carries on their own.
regenerator

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2018 General Discussion