Unexpected retiring players

Unexpected retiring players

Postby Schlitz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:38 am

Could you add a notice for players considering retirement so we know what to expect at the end of the season? Or are the retirees a bit random at younger ages?

I just simmed a season (lost in the championship) and my starting QB retired at 33 and a starting guard at age 34 leaving me with two unexpected holes to fill. I figured once players hit 36 or so it could be expected at any time but one of the best QBs rated a 91 overall just quits at 33 y/o with another year left on his contract? Meanwhile I'm seeing 38-40 y/o players as free agents. Just find that a little strange.
Schlitz

Re: Unexpected retiring players

Postby vgorilla80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:26 pm

Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, Chris Borland, Anthony Davis, Rashard Mendenhall...need I say more? It happens quite frequently, particularly in the last few years.
vgorilla80

Postby Schlitz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:36 pm

vgorilla80 wrote:Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson, Chris Borland, Anthony Davis, Rashard Mendenhall...need I say more? It happens quite frequently, particularly in the last few years.

Yeah I get that it can happen, but to me its a big letdown to have it happen here. I don't want to build a team around Aaron Rodgers only to have him retire 5+ years too early AND without warning. Just my opinion but I think setting a threshold at 35 would be better so once players hit that age you should be prepared for them retiring. Superstars walking away at such a young age are an exception to the rule in real life but here I ran into a superstar QB and a really good starting OL both doing it at the same time and at the end of my very first season. Just seems a bit much to me.
Schlitz

Postby Templer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Schlitz wrote:... Just my opinion but I think setting a threshold at 35 would be better...

No, that becomes too predictable. Football is a game, not mathematics.
Follow WWPF Football on WWPF insider: https://twitter.com/WWPFInsider
Templer

Postby TheBlankman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 pm

You should get a notice like "Hey, I'm considering retirement." Like 75% of the time. Also the ability to try to persuade the player to keep playing. Sometimes a player just retires without notice, but I'd say that doesn't happen very often. 75% seems fair.
TheBlankman

Postby AKH » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:14 am

this is surely something we can look at.
AKH

Postby Schlitz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:24 am

AKH wrote:this is surely something we can look at.

Thanks!

I'm not looking to know exactly when players plan on retiring with 2-3 seasons warning, but if they are considering it then some kind of notification would be nice in their final season. In my example, I was suddenly without an elite QB without warning. I go to start my next season and suddenly see I only have 2 mediocre QBs and no FAs worth signing. Just strange since he wasn't that old either. I also had a starting OL retire quite young. Would like to be able to plan for drafts and FA periods accordingly but not looking for some "easy mode" solution. :)
Schlitz

Return to DDS: Pro Football Future Suggestions