New Injury System

Re: New Injury System

Postby rawr123456787654 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Yeah I dunno, I definitely enjoy trying to accomodate injuries, adds some depth to the game relying on the bench unit. BUT I do agree with you that the new injury system has definitely dramatically changed how this game plays vs past installations. I like it often times and I understand the realism- but I do think that the rate at which a lot of people sit now is waaay too high, a lot of good guys are missing like a quarter of the season just because of minor scrapes. One solution, as this is how I originally thought the (OUT) vs (PROB) would function;

Make the injury system more of a progressive system over time. If someone breaks his nose, sure maybe he'd miss a couple of injuries, but that would quickly become a playable injury (I use broken nose because I've seen it derail several players already, which is often frustrating because I know people would just play through it IRL) and move from an (OUT) to a (PROB). Then, as time goes on that (PROB) goes from effecting his injury, say, 80-85% to 85-90% etc as the timer gets closer to 0 for the injury. A team thats doing really strong record-wise might be willing to bench anyone injured, scuffed or not, but a team fighting for home court advantage might want to play guys anywhere over 80%. A team fighting to get INTO the playoffs might play guys that are as low as 70! (Number percentages I'm basing off how the injury system used to work).

I know that's all probably asking a lot, and in the meantime I'm making do, no complaints - but I do think it would make the game a lot more exciting, and it would definitely improve immersion overall. Cheers either way, having a blast with the new game!

EDIT: Also something that might make doing the depth chart easier for ya that isn't clear right off the bat - if you set a line-up and use the "lock" button, restore restores the line-up to whatever that was before. Very useful for injuries that are gonna effect you for a couple of days.
rawr123456787654

Postby jacob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that after downloading the latest version right now (I dont usually download each update but I keep getting the "unhandled exception" error that closes the game).
jacob

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 pm

jacob wrote:Related question: What is the "OUT" number on the depth chart/ what does changing it do? I've been assuming that changing it from 85 to 75, for example, means that with a minor injury that player now has a 75% chance of sitting out as opposed to an 85% chance but I feel like I'm probably wrong in assuming that.

Also yeah, its tedious changing the depth chart and the matrix every 2-3 games. I've turned injuries off for now. I had tried turning injuries down to 20% and then 10% but it seemed to only affect the time injured, not the frequency (so lots and lots of 1-3 day injuries). Most people probably dont mind or actually like tooling around in the depth chart every few games, I'm just impatient and usually just wanna get to that sweet, sweet nectar known as the offseason.

The OUT number on the depth chart refers to the 'energy level' of the player. When his level drops (from 100) to that number, he is subbed for. There are some discussions of this around--might be in the DDS17, so check there. Gary has said lower settings lead to poor performance. I set everyone to 85 and that works great for me. I like to rotate 10 men, however.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby jacob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 am

Your_Imaginary_Friend wrote:The OUT number on the depth chart refers to the 'energy level' of the player. When his level drops (from 100) to that number, he is subbed for. There are some discussions of this around--might be in the DDS17, so check there. Gary has said lower settings lead to poor performance. I set everyone to 85 and that works great for me. I like to rotate 10 men, however.

Oh okay, thanks man. That does make sense, though seems very similar to what the matrix (forgot what its called this year) is for. I can see how having both is definitely better and more thorough though, which is awesome.
jacob

Postby jbergey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:07 am

Gary Gorski wrote:
dudefan wrote:the depth chart&rotation managment could use some ui/improvement. very tedious to change a player if the starter is injured and out

Ok what would you like to see done with it to make it easier to use?

On the tail end of back to back days the players shouldnt start out at 100 percent making roster management in these situations similar to what a NBA coach has to think ahead to. If they are probable the coach should probably decide to play them with a minor penalty. It shouldnt default to not playing these players.
jbergey

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

jbergey wrote:
Gary Gorski wrote:
dudefan wrote:the depth chart&rotation managment could use some ui/improvement. very tedious to change a player if the starter is injured and out

Ok what would you like to see done with it to make it easier to use?

On the tail end of back to back days the players shouldnt start out at 100 percent making roster management in these situations similar to what a NBA coach has to think ahead to. If they are probable the coach should probably decide to play them with a minor penalty. It shouldnt default to not playing these players.

I agree with you on the starting endurance - that's something that will be worked in as the injury system evolves. I disagree though on the PROB - guys sit out one or two games all the time now during the regular season. For example just saw an alert that Kyrie Irving is ruled out for tonight. Why? Because he took a knee to the thigh last night. If this was a playoff game of course he would be playing but because its one of 82 largely meaningless games then he's going to sit.

You can play the PROB injured player if you want to - there is an injury penalty factored in as well as increase for possibly making the injury worse but if you let the AI handle who is playing then yes, the AI is going to choose to sit him because that's just how it is done today.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Tazilon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:19 pm

If a starter gets injured with an "OUT", you simply swap them with whomever you wish to fill in and unclick the injured guy's position selections. When he heals, you reverse the procedure.

Bench player are even easier as you just unclick their position selections and turn them back on when they heal.

Seems pretty easy to me!
Tazilon

Postby jbergey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Are you saying probable players always sit? I dont understand what you are saying.

Truthfully, teams just make up excuses(injuries) to rest players which you can try to figure out how to program but probable players are usually not sitting early in the season especially in meaningful games. Figure out a resting stat or implement a coaching resting rating but dont try to confuse the "fake" injuries with real ones. It will give the human even that much more advantage over the computer resting probable players.

Al Horford was also listed as probable and he played.

But anyway to have the effect you want stamina loss has to carry over from day to day so the computer/human owners have to decide if they want to start Kyrie at 85 percent or let him rest and get him back up to 95+ percent. Its the same type of evolution Football Manager and Out of the Park have made with their endurance system.
jbergey

Previous

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2018 General Discussion