Anyone have any success trading up in the draft?

Anyone have any success trading up in the draft?

Postby jacob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:58 am

If so, what's your secret? I've never been able to trade for the #1 pick even when offering a few top 5 picks plus future 1st rounders. I've tried throwing a young 3-4 star potential player in as well and still no dice.

Just now I offered all this to the Thunder for the #2 overall pick (just to see if they'd reject it, and they did):
#4 overall pick
#6 overall pick
#9 overall pick
1st round pick next offseason
1st round pick offseason after next

:/
jacob

Re: Anyone have any success trading up in the draft?

Postby MikerG » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:11 am

I just got one deal done, with a 5* Player and an early 1st rounder for AI´s pick. I think it was the 1st overall, but could just have been 2nd Overall.

It´s almost impossible to trade up without giving up very high value. Even if you eye on the 5th ot 6th overall pick and offer eg. 7th and 9tn, AI will not trade it. The other way, I got a lot of offers, when AI wants to trade their 1st rounder for my just picked Player, often the Team directly behind in the order. If I want to get additional value, AI is unwilling to give up anything else. So it´d be good to look into it to get nearer to reality.

AI doesn´t throw in any futute picks into trades on their own, so perhaps they didn´t value them at this point.
MikerG

Postby Gary Gorski » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Not going to lie - the trade AI is the single toughest thing to work on in the game and I have always erred on the side of making the AI ask for too much rather than not enough. In terms of this the AI is taking into account the player it could take versus what you are offering so its going to compare what it feels is the 2nd best player vs the 4th, 6th, 9th and if you're a good team it's not going to assume those picks are worth much.

But lets put this into actual context - if you were looking at the '16 draft would you rather have Ingram or Bender/Hield/Poeltl and some late 1sts? If my opinion is that Ingram is KD 2.0 then I'm not trading him for a handful of stuff even if you're giving me lots of it. Now if I'm in that position this year where personally I don't love Lonzo then I might take a deal like that.

I would also suspect you wouldn't run into as much difficulty if you were offering like 10,12,16 for 8 or something like that but the AI is going to be very protective of what it feels could be elite assets and it knows that if its considering trading an elite player/prospect that it better be getting something like that back.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby MikerG » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:29 pm

I´m ok with good talent in the pool. Every team should protect it and have a high demand in trades. The later picks, like you mentioned, should be more flexible than now. Of course the offering team has to sweeten the deal in uptrading, but 2for1, 3for1 or an additional future pick are working in todays NBA. AI ignores to put future picks in offers in v1.3, as if they can´t value them.

Trade dealine deal are kind of the same thing. I tried to acquire players on the block and AI values them very high, like 1st round picks. So it´s very hard to get a reasonable deal. Even if the AI´s guy´s contract is running out. The in the news AI sometimes trade away it´s players from the TB for lower value than I offfered several times. But I agree with another of your points, it´s better to get no deals than exploit AI...!
MikerG

Postby jacob » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:59 am

Yeah it's better this way than having the AI be a total pushover like in most games where you can trade a few mid tier players for a 1st round pick then replace them in free agency, wash, rinse and repeat until you end up with like 5 top 10 picks. I don't like having to police myself in games. I was just wondering if I was offering trades at the wrong time or something (in draft) cuz I imagine once a top 3 drafting team has their sights set on "their guy" it would be hard to sway them. Though I've since tried right after the lottery.

But like you said Gary, trade AI seems very hard to get 100% right and I think making it harder is way better than having it be too easy so no criticism was meant.

I did make one trade work; offered a young 4* PG, 2 top 10 picks and I believe a mid rounder for the #1 overall (saved the game beforehand and reloaded right after though lol, I really like the PG).

Gary- is the trade AI set up to where some of the teams' GMs can sometimes be milked for better deals a little more than others? Cuz I remember one time I was getting a certain team's (can't remember who but a below average team) future 1st round picks easier than others in one offseason and was thinking that was a pretty cool thing for those willing to shop around.
jacob

Postby rawr123456787654 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm probably not the best source for this, I mess around a lot and force trades between teams to make things more interesting (never myself) but in my experience, trading is almost always a very vanilla process with basically picks being regarded as sacred and any player over 30 being regarded as fodder. It really would be cool to see some more clear mentalities in the AI agenda - something as simple as "contending", "pushing for playoffs", "rebuilding", "tanking" could add some diversity to how teams are trying to manage themselves. Also adding a few more traits to staff in future installations (and allowing GM changes for other teams in commissioner mode PLZZZZZ :) ) could change things up as well, I know something like a "negotiating" trait could be dangerous in terms of making the player too overpowered but even things like "tendency to make trades" in the preference sliders could definitely bring life to what often feels like a very random system. Again, wanna say that I literally love this game and all suggestions I'm making are purely because the game's so recently released and the feedback in the community has seemed active, so I just wanted to contribute my ideas. Almost to 1980 already :cool:
rawr123456787654

Postby dudefan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:43 pm

AI Warriors trading Curry for (AI Clippers) Blake Griffin+2nd Rounder in 2018 ist mind-baffling
dudefan

Postby SirMichaelJordan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:38 am

rawr123456787654 wrote:I'm probably not the best source for this, I mess around a lot and force trades between teams to make things more interesting (never myself) but in my experience, trading is almost always a very vanilla process with basically picks being regarded as sacred and any player over 30 being regarded as fodder. It really would be cool to see some more clear mentalities in the AI agenda - something as simple as "contending", "pushing for playoffs", "rebuilding", "tanking" could add some diversity to how teams are trying to manage themselves. Also adding a few more traits to staff in future installations (and allowing GM changes for other teams in commissioner mode PLZZZZZ :) ) could change things up as well, I know something like a "negotiating" trait could be dangerous in terms of making the player too overpowered but even things like "tendency to make trades" in the preference sliders could definitely bring life to what often feels like a very random system. Again, wanna say that I literally love this game and all suggestions I'm making are purely because the game's so recently released and the feedback in the community has seemed active, so I just wanted to contribute my ideas. Almost to 1980 already :cool:

Yes things like team focus (contenders, rebuilding, etc) GM and head coach traits and preferences and player roles could definitely help the AI roster building and trading. I doubt the AI would trade Curry if he was listed as a franchise player or untouchable.
SirMichaelJordan

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:05 pm

jacob wrote:Gary- is the trade AI set up to where some of the teams' GMs can sometimes be milked for better deals a little more than others? Cuz I remember one time I was getting a certain team's (can't remember who but a below average team) future 1st round picks easier than others in one offseason and was thinking that was a pretty cool thing for those willing to shop around.

Yes - not every team evaluates things the same way and every once in awhile you might run into a virtual GM Isiah Thomas or so :)
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2018 General Discussion