Need help please

Need help please

Postby Lalblc » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 pm

When I try to start a game with custom rosters it says this, An unhandled exception occurred: Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'Short' is not valid.
Lalblc

Re: Need help please

Postby rawr123456787654 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm

I think that means you have a broken integer in a value on the table. An 11 somewhere there should only be 1-10, a letter where they should be a number, something like that.

Edit: Oh, or you might've done European active. For some reason there's a bug which doesn't generate unique IDs for overseas players, making exporting/importing databases impossible for now (if European players are active)
rawr123456787654

Postby Lalblc » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks I gotta be more carefull editing I guess
Lalblc

Postby rawr123456787654 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Yeah, this is my third version of the game now and honestly I've just gotten to the point where I feel comfortable editing anything in the database without doing a lot of back-ups (and even now I wouldn't recommend it, just sometimes forget to make 'em) as it's very easy to break the game and lose track of what you actually did to break it. Some tips:

- Always edit one other random thing in the database after you did whatever you want. Like, say you raised Kobe Bryant's consistency to 90; go to some random guy below him, and just re-type some random value, ie. if Mark Bryant's consistency, right below Kobe, is 72, just re-enter 72 there. For some reason MD Viewer will sometimes forget the last edit you made in the program, not sure how it works and if it always does that or if sometimes I just somehow do things at the end to undo my edit. Either way, this small trick will save ya a lot of hassle.

- Anytime you're doing editing, even if it's a long-term project you've been working on, always open the game, export the file, and import whenever you finish up with what you're doing. You might forget that you went a few days ahead in game, you might have edited a file with the wrong save name, there's a lot of room to mess up. Just save yourself the trouble, get into this habit.

- Find weird ways to categorize people. For instance, in this recent game I've been getting a little tired of how often minor injuries take a lot of my opponents out, so every few days I've been going through and setting a lot of the longer minor injuries all down to 1 day right before I move to the next day, so that their all healthy for line-ups the next day. If I do this by injurytime, everytime I set someone to 0 (or to 1 in the case of how I've been doing it) they fly to somewhere else in the database based on how it's organized; so instead, do something like InjuryType, that way you can focus in on everyone that's injured at once. Another useful grouping that comes to mind - I like to check out incoming draft classes consistency, etc since I played with randomized potential, but since a lot of guys get created for the D-League/don't get drafted, there's tons of players in the database with experience 0. So it's much easier to just go by age, since 99% of your incoming rookies will fall between that 20-23 range (a few outliers obviously shout out Jose Calderon and Thon Maker who's actually 40 but you can just take note of those kinda things).

- If you can edit/change/do it in-game instead of the database, do it. Commissioner mode for anything player related that's not a hidden attribute, for any moving of players/changing teams/dealing with FAs, etc. It's much harder to break the game doing things within it then it is messing around with databases. I used to think it'd be faster to just do everything in the excel sheets, and quickly learned that's an easy recipe for breaking your file.

Anywho - hope that helps. Lemme know if you have any questions!
rawr123456787654

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2018 General Discussion