Offensive Sets

Offensive Sets

Postby jayeburgh » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Is there any theorycraft on how to set up the off. Sets? I am trying to build a brutal d with a slow methodical off. Without telling me exactly what to do, any pointers? Like if I wanna have pick and roll be my bread butter, what type players do I want? Ect.
jayeburgh

Re: Offensive Sets

Postby dudefan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 am

What i really find annoying is the fact that i cant tell e.g. Ben Simmons to stop shooting threes. Even with the marginal training options to reduce Catch&shoot over several months doesnt help. He is still jacking up threes and misses them all.
A coach should be at least able to tell a player to stop shooting threes
dudefan

Postby jayeburgh » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:46 pm

That is annoying.
jayeburgh

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:02 pm

This is something I've been on the fence with over time. On one hand I understand the frustration with not simply being able to tell him to do something. On the other hand I've always tried to make players "individuals" that are just more than a bunch of numbers and in real life just because you tell a player to do something doesn't mean he will do it. I think what probably has to happen eventually is building in a risk/reward module that is stronger than the suggestions. Something like a "demand" for what you are talking about with the possibility that either the player does what you want, ignores you or flips out and gets mad and demands to be traded or will leave as a free agent to find a team that appreciates him for what he wants to be.

Is that something that would be of interest?
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby markprior22 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:00 pm

I wonder if something like this could be tied to a personality rating? A non star or laid back personality would be more likely to follow instruction with no problem while a diva or superstar type player might have his own ideas. Thinking Dennis Rodman or a coach trying to order LeBron around the court. Would not be received well.
markprior22

Postby Gary Gorski » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am

Sure it could be tied into those very easily although there would have to be a chance that even a good personality player could get upset - just a lesser chance while doing this to a loose cannon type guy would pretty much automatically set him off
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby rawr123456787654 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Sounds like a good way to handle it.
rawr123456787654

Postby thedraem41 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:52 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:This is something I've been on the fence with over time. On one hand I understand the frustration with not simply being able to tell him to do something. On the other hand I've always tried to make players "individuals" that are just more than a bunch of numbers and in real life just because you tell a player to do something doesn't mean he will do it. I think what probably has to happen eventually is building in a risk/reward module that is stronger than the suggestions. Something like a "demand" for what you are talking about with the possibility that either the player does what you want, ignores you or flips out and gets mad and demands to be traded or will leave as a free agent to find a team that appreciates him for what he wants to be.

Is that something that would be of interest?

This would be awesome.
thedraem41

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2018 General Discussion