Ben Simmons player archetype

Ben Simmons player archetype

Postby pdandy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:17 pm

v1.6

I'm using the historical mdb file. The in-game Ben Simmons attempts ~200 3pts in a season and makes 0.
So I'm trying to make edits to the mdb to fix this so the in-game Ben Simmons has similar production to real-life Ben Simmons. Yes he cannot shoot 3s but he also doesn't put up an attempt unless he has no other choice. In real life, assuming he plays all 82 games, Ben Simmons is on pace to shoot 25 total 3pts.

Test 1: I first noticed that his Corner and ATB shot tendencies were high so I set them to 0. I also gave him 15% in mid range and 85% tendency for in the paint. What I noticed was he continued to shoot around 75 per season all at the top ATB location.

Test 2: Then I went to the mdb again and made him focus completely on Drive and Kick, Drive and Shoot and Pass only. This didn't change much. He still attempted 76 ATB 3pts and made 1.
I understand that in end-of-clock situations there may be a heave but 3x the heaves seems excessive. I don't think these are heaves anyways. To have all 76 heaves happen at the very top ATB zone too much of a coincidence.

Test 3: I started to think that the game engine just can't model a PG that doesn't want to shoot 3s. The game also always has the PG bring up the ball so I think this contributes to the likelihood of Ben Simmons taking 3s at the top ATB location regardless of his db ratings. Thus I moved him to SG and he only attempted 26 3pts. But again, all of these are in the top ATB zone.

Can the engine be adjusted to model players like Ben Simmons and Shaun Livingston? I know it is a sticky situation to make a change that really only impacts two players (off the top of my head) but one of those players is a young future star.
pdandy

Re: Ben Simmons player archetype

Postby Gary Gorski » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm looking into this for the next update
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Lalblc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Are u guys still working on this is there anything u can do ?
Lalblc

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:22 am

Well for one the PG doesn't necessarily always bring the ball up in the game but Simmons is a total anomaly. I'm still looking at a solution for him because obviously he's going to be in the league for a long time. The thing is that he's really not supposed to be in the PG slot - that should be Fultz with Simmons as the 4 man who handles the ball and creates the offense. I haven't watched him a ton so I guess the real answer is going to be figuring out how to make someone act more like him. Where does he go in the offense after he brings it up? What does he do when the shot clock winds down (does he just drive and throw up a contested 2pt jumper? does he hide so he doesn't get the ball?) Its just a process that is going to take some time to work out
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2018 General Discussion