various questions

various questions

Postby BB Brand » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 pm

1) What effect do the assistant coaches have on anything? If I fire all of them to save money, will my players suddenly play worse of something? My head coach can do the job the assistants can do, only better.
2) What's the point of the summer league? After I put my low-experience guys on the team, what's the point of the screen where I pick the other players to be on the summer league team? Can an option be put in to have the AI pick the other players for me?
3) When free agency comes around, can a column be added which shows each player's $ demand? Targeting players that I have a chance of reasonably signing at a glance would be a huge improvement. An interest level column would be great too. From what I've been able to figure out, I have to check each play individually to see how much money he wants - an unfun activity. If there's an easier way to do this, I'm all ears.
4) What are restricted free agents?
5) The ratings numbers on the free agents screen, like FGI, FGJ, SCR, etc.: How are those ratings determined, by my coaches? If the coaches, are the ratings an average of all of their opinions? Going back to question 1, if just myself and my head coach evaluated each player, would the ratings be different than if all of the coaches participated?
6) On the contract offers screen, what are mid and low exceptions?
7) On the player card screen, how does discipline, consistency, loyalty, motivation, and personality affect game play? Are inside and outside shooting how good the player is at each task or how often he'll perform each task?
8) On the training camp screen, what effect does weight training have on a player's performance?
9) The draft room for the D-league: Is there a way for me to pick the players for my team? At no point does the "select player" button light up. All that's available are the "CPU pick" and "CPU finish" buttons for every round of the draft. I must be missing something that I can't pick players.
9a) What is the point of the D-league? I can see a point I guess in that the noobs I send there get playing time, but what about the rest of the players on the team? If there's no way for me to pick my team (see question 9), are these guys just filling up space? I must be missing something, so educate me please.
BB Brand

Re: various questions

Postby Baldric » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 pm

On point 2:

If you click the Advance button, the AI will draft players for your summer league team.

It is an opportunity to try some players out (ie your second round players or others in the free agent pool before free agency)

I tend to just let the AI take care of it then auto-sim Summer League
Baldric

Postby Gary Gorski » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm

BB Brand wrote:1) What effect do the assistant coaches have on anything? If I fire all of them to save money, will my players suddenly play worse of something? My head coach can do the job the assistants can do, only better.
2) What's the point of the summer league? After I put my low-experience guys on the team, what's the point of the screen where I pick the other players to be on the summer league team? Can an option be put in to have the AI pick the other players for me?
3) When free agency comes around, can a column be added which shows each player's $ demand? Targeting players that I have a chance of reasonably signing at a glance would be a huge improvement. An interest level column would be great too. From what I've been able to figure out, I have to check each play individually to see how much money he wants - an unfun activity. If there's an easier way to do this, I'm all ears.
4) What are restricted free agents?
5) The ratings numbers on the free agents screen, like FGI, FGJ, SCR, etc.: How are those ratings determined, by my coaches? If the coaches, are the ratings an average of all of their opinions? Going back to question 1, if just myself and my head coach evaluated each player, would the ratings be different than if all of the coaches participated?
6) On the contract offers screen, what are mid and low exceptions?
7) On the player card screen, how does discipline, consistency, loyalty, motivation, and personality affect game play? Are inside and outside shooting how good the player is at each task or how often he'll perform each task?
8) On the training camp screen, what effect does weight training have on a player's performance?
9) The draft room for the D-league: Is there a way for me to pick the players for my team? At no point does the "select player" button light up. All that's available are the "CPU pick" and "CPU finish" buttons for every round of the draft. I must be missing something that I can't pick players.
9a) What is the point of the D-league? I can see a point I guess in that the noobs I send there get playing time, but what about the rest of the players on the team? If there's no way for me to pick my team (see question 9), are these guys just filling up space? I must be missing something, so educate me please.

1. Assistants contribute to the overall view of players - if you have poor assistants you may underestimate or overestimate young players
2. The summer league is for you to get a look at both your own young players and others in the league you might want to just try out and keep an eye on for later
3. Suggestion noted for the future
4. Restricted free agents are free agents where their old team has the ability to match any offer the player might accept from another team
5. The ratings are determined by a mixture of your skills as well as the coaching staff
6. Mid and low exceptions are contracts that a team over the cap (but under the luxury limit) can offer to free agents because they do not have cap space
7. Inside and outside shooting are skills in those tasks. Discipline impacts things like fouls, consistency means a player will either play pretty much the same usually with a high rating or could be all over the place with a low rating, loyalty is for free agency and resigning with you, motivation impacts a players skills each game (ie a low motivated player won't play as well) and personality impacts things like arguing in the games or getting along with teammates.
8. Helps keep the player in shape - otherwise he might gain weight and lose EN
9. Do you have control over your d-league affiliate? If not then you're not making the decisions for them.
10. The d-league lets all those free agent guys be playing games. If you get someone who is hurt and need a guy to fill in you can look around and see who from those teams you might want to call up (as long as they don't already belong to a team) or like you said you can send your young players down there to play and develop.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby BB Brand » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:18 pm

Thanks for answering my questions!
BB Brand

Postby BB Brand » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:22 am

Continuing...
10 a) On the player card, what does the scoring rating represent? I can't figure this out. Inside and outside shooting are how well the player does each thing, so scoring is how often he scores? I thought inside and outside shooting does that. Lost.
10 b) Passing represents assists?
10 c) Ball handling represents turnover rate?
10 d) Court intelligence represents what in the game?
10 e) Is there a rating that represents how often a player will perform actions with the ball? For example, Russell Westbrook handles the ball the most by far on his team. Is there a rating in this game that shows how often players handle the ball?
11) Is there a way that you can track players as they move around the league, like putting them on a shortlist or something?
12 a) On the "pre-draft workouts" screen, what do "WSCR", "WSPT", "CSCR", and "CSPT" mean?
12 b) What is "OFF DRIB" and "OFF CUT"? I think "3-point" means a 3 point shot test. What are the other things I listed testing?
12 c) "IN", "MID", "OUT", and "DRIVE" represent how well the player scores from each range and action or something else? If something else, what?
13) Somewhere just after June 20, several of my players disappeared from my roster. What happened to them? Oops, they came back on June 30 just in time for contract decisions.
14) On the "sub matrix" screen, what does "set lock" do? Can I unlock it once I lock it?
BB Brand

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:21 am

BB Brand wrote:Continuing...
10 a) On the player card, what does the scoring rating represent? I can't figure this out. Inside and outside shooting are how well the player does each thing, so scoring is how often he scores? I thought inside and outside shooting does that. Lost.
10 b) Passing represents assists?
10 c) Ball handling represents turnover rate?
10 d) Court intelligence represents what in the game?
10 e) Is there a rating that represents how often a player will perform actions with the ball? For example, Russell Westbrook handles the ball the most by far on his team. Is there a rating in this game that shows how often players handle the ball?
11) Is there a way that you can track players as they move around the league, like putting them on a shortlist or something?
12 a) On the "pre-draft workouts" screen, what do "WSCR", "WSPT", "CSCR", and "CSPT" mean?
12 b) What is "OFF DRIB" and "OFF CUT"? I think "3-point" means a 3 point shot test. What are the other things I listed testing?
12 c) "IN", "MID", "OUT", and "DRIVE" represent how well the player scores from each range and action or something else? If something else, what?
13) Somewhere just after June 20, several of my players disappeared from my roster. What happened to them? Oops, they came back on June 30 just in time for contract decisions.
14) On the "sub matrix" screen, what does "set lock" do? Can I unlock it once I lock it?

10a) Scoring represents the player's ability to score - it has nothing to do with how well they can shoot but how adapt they are at scoring in general
10b) yes
10c) yes more or less
10d) it helps in keeping turnovers down and making the "right" play
10e) well that's sort of a mixture of position (obviously PG handles the ball alot) and scoring and passing (would need to have the ball to do either of those) so a PG with high ratings in scoring and passing will mean he has the ball a ton
11) no but that's a cool idea
12a) those are the rankings by Wolverine Studios (WS) and your coaching staff (CS) for their current rating (CR) and potential (PT)
12b) the number of shots they made in the tests shooting off the dribble and shooting from a pass after making a cut
12c) no it represents how often they play in that range or perform that action
13) they must have been free agents
14) it allows you to have a "standard" sub rotation that you can lock and then if there are injuries or whatever and you make changes then when everyone is healthy you can just restore the lineup you had locked in rather than make all the changes again
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby BB Brand » Tue May 01, 2018 2:05 am

Thanks!
BB Brand

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2018 General Discussion