Promotion/Relegation League & Other Interesting Mod Things

Promotion/Relegation League & Other Interesting Mod Things

Postby drophammer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:34 am

I have been testing out the capabilities of modding, and I have successfully implemented a 120 team custom format league that is set up in such a way that there are 10 conferences of 12 teams each in 2 tiers. After each season, the winner of the championship games in the lower tier conferences qualify to move up, along with any team in the lower tier conferences that ends up (after bowls) ranked in the top 25. Swapping teams between conferences can be accomplished in the SETTINGS screens between seasons. It does work on a custom league format. The worst teams in each of the related top tier conferences are dropped, 1 for 1, to replace the teams moving up. I then advance into the next seasons, but before holding Training Camps, I can load in a new schedule for the new year (also something that was not confirmed to work for a custom league format) - this can be done on the Association Schedule page or the Team Schedule page. However, unlike during Association creation and the initial setup, the schedule does not seem to get properly checked, and mistakes can get by. I happened to notice it before I moved on, so I was able to correct it and load a new version before moving on.

All things said, I am impressed by the flexibility of the game. The modding may not entirely intuitive, but once you get the hang of it, you can do quite a bit.

Oh, one last thing I did was change up the playoff structure so that the 8 teams are taken from the 5 top tier conference champions + 3 at large teams. Sweet. If I want to, I understand from another thread that I can make alterations to the bowls to reflect which ones will take in the at large berths by loading them in at the right point, but after seeing how it worked out last time, I liked it. I kept the Rose Bowl as a game between the PAC and the successor to the B10 (called the Great North in my league).

To make 120 team structure work, I made sure to renumber the teams from 1-120, and because I moved teams around, I made sure to renumber their "last year finishes" within each division to make sense. Scheduling is... complicated. I have a spreadsheet that generates 3 weeks of random nonconference matchups between the two tiers, then 3 weeks of matchups within conference but across divisions, then a 7 week run that includes all divisional games, a crossover match against a conference opponent from the opposite division, and a bye. After each season creates new conferences, I put the changes in, and the spreadsheet generates the new schedule for the next season.

That's about it for now. I am simming through several seasons to make sure all my supporting material works, then I will start it over and take a team to see how I do. I just wanted to post something positive, since I originally posted several frustrated posts and then a bunch of questions.
drophammer

Re: Promotion/Relegation League & Other Interesting Mod Thin

Postby drophammer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Update - looks like my playoff bowl set isn't working out like I thought it was. So, I will have to rejigger those. But that is okay. It seems like the Quarterfinal designation trumps everything else, and the games take the top 8 no matter where they are from. I think I will put that in as a suggestion, though.
drophammer

Return to DDS: College Football 2018-2024 Mods