Custom league with automated schedule

Custom league with automated schedule

Postby r2brew2 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:56 pm

For anyone interested, I have been playing around for a while at getting a custom league setup, while still using the game's automated scheduling system. While I would love to set up a truly unique league structure, the idea of manually setting up 700+ games every season didn't sound like fun to me! After many trials and tribulations, I'm happy to say I've succeeded. I felt it might help someone else out, so I'll share here.

In order to keep the automatic schedule working, I kept the overall league structure intact, i.e. 11 total conferences, 4 of which have 14 teams, 3 have 12 teams, 1 has 11, 2 have 10, and 1 has 7. But from there, I did a bunch of shuffling around and renaming teams. Having discovered the issue below, I may try experimenting further and setting up new conference sizes and potentially even a different number of conference (which would clearly need editing the Bowl file), but this seems like wishful thinking that the automatic schedule would still work.

Anyway, while I thought I was just shuffling around team names while keeping the overall league structure intact, this kept failing . I wasn't getting an error at the league setup (trust me, I got plenty of those when messing something up, like forgetting to reset the 'lastyearrank' for example). It would just hang indefinitely on the league creation screen. Again, fundamentally, I was just renaming a bunch of teams, so I didn't see why it wasn't working. But as it turns out, I was taking a bit of a shortcut that the game files don't like. Problem was, if I wanted to move team X from conference A to B, I was just using XMLPad Pro to move that entry in Teams.xml accordingly.

At long last, I figured out the problem: the Independents. They seem to have a unique scheduling system in the automated game scheduler. So your 'Independent' league needs to keep the same team IDs (62, 63, 65 and so on). My problem was that I was moving these IDs around, for example putting Notre Dame (id 65) into my equivalent of the Big 10. As soon as I reverted the independent conference to it's original team IDs, the game successfully generated a new league for me. I've still moved ND to the Big Ten, but I've swapped their team ID with a team that I've replaced into the Independent league (which I've made the Military Academy league, for example). I've run a couple samples of multiple year leagues, and it seems to be working.

This does result in a couple wonky rivalry setups for a few teams, but that seems like a small price to pay for not having to manually set a massive schedule every year
r2brew2

Re: Custom league with automated schedule

Postby luketoussaint » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:27 pm

I addded an 8th team to the independents on mine.
luketoussaint

Postby luketoussaint » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:28 pm

how do i create a schedule
luketoussaint

Postby nemolee.exe » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:37 pm

I did the same thing except I moved two teams from 14 team conference to an 11 team conference.
nemolee.exe

Return to DDS: College Football 2018-2024 Mods