Error when trying to add custom teams

Error when trying to add custom teams

Postby nemolee.exe » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:32 pm

The first time I got an error was already solved here: viewtopic.php?f=332&t=34621&p=233464&hilit=teams.xml#p233464. However, when I try again I get an "Illegal characters in path". I'm not sure what that means. What do you think is wrong with my custom teams file?
nemolee.exe

Re: Error when trying to add custom teams

Postby slybelle1 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:46 pm

Without seeing the file, can't tell. Could be an incorrect character in the XML. If you can provide me the file, I could look at it.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby nemolee.exe » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Trying to recreate it to see if it still causes problems.
nemolee.exe

Postby nemolee.exe » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:44 pm

Weirdly enough, with the recreated file it creates a league with no problems.

Another question, if I make an alteration to my teams file (move a team to another conference), will it create a new schedule or will I have to put it under custom?
nemolee.exe

Postby slybelle1 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:51 pm

nemolee.exe wrote:Weirdly enough, with the recreated file it creates a league with no problems.

Another question, if I make an alteration to my teams file (move a team to another conference), will it create a new schedule or will I have to put it under custom?

I am not sure what you mean by putting under "custom"?

Assuming you are using the 2022 version of the Teams.xml file (not an older version) and your just trying to edit the default file by moving a team to a different conference, you have to be mindful of the new schedule attribute on the conference line. You have to make sure to use the right option that reflects the new conference makeup as well as change the conference you moved the team from. You can see samples of these values in the default file or you can go into the realignment screen and you'll see the valid choices there. If there isn't a valid choice that represents your custom conference, then you might be out of luck. Assuming you get these correct, an automatic schedule would be created based on how the conference does it.

If you are trying to complete a custom league, pretty sure you have to create your own custom schedule to go along with it.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby nemolee.exe » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:19 pm

OK, new problem.

The game won't load on my thirteen-team conference.
nemolee.exe

Postby slybelle1 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:22 am

nemolee.exe wrote:OK, new problem.

If your using just the default Teams.xml file versus a true custom league file, you might have limitations on how you can setup your league. Looking at the realignment options within the game, does appear to have a schedule format for a 13 conference team but would need to be split into two divisions. Once you ensure two divisions, you could try altering the the XML for the conference by using Schedule="ThirteenTeamTwoDivision".

But again with the default file, not really sure what are all the limits and what else you would need to consider. Should be doable with a custom league but believe that comes with the burden of creating a schedule to with it.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby nemolee.exe » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:43 pm

slybelle1 wrote:

If your using just the default Teams.xml file versus a true custom league file, you might have limitations on how you can setup your league. Looking at the realignment options within the game, does appear to have a schedule format for a 13 conference team but would need to be split into two divisions. Once you ensure two divisions, you could try altering the the XML for the conference by using Schedule="ThirteenTeamTwoDivision".

But again with the default file, not really sure what are all the limits and what else you would need to consider. Should be doable with a custom league but believe that comes with the burden of creating a schedule to with it.

It unfortunately gives me a Requested "ThirteenTeamTwoDivision" not found. error. I tried ThirteenTeam and it works out fine somehow. Albeit it gives me an error when I try to make a league.
nemolee.exe

Postby slybelle1 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:58 pm

nemolee.exe wrote:
slybelle1 wrote:

It unfortunately gives me a Requested "ThirteenTeamTwoDivision" not found. error. I tried ThirteenTeam and it works out fine somehow. Albeit it gives me an error when I try to make a league.

That type of schedule must not be available through the teams file, it is on the realignment screen. You could create a standard league and then after year 1 conduct a realignment of conferences within the game. But of course you would have to play through a season first. That schedule name I guessed on since that is how the others are named.

If you ever want to share your file, I can look at it. If it accepted the thirteenteam but still got error, I might be able to spot the error that is causing that.
slybelle1
Elite Member

Postby nemolee.exe » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:03 pm

nemolee.exe

Next

Return to DDS: College Football 2018-2024 Mods