Few Thoughts/Suggestions

Re: Few Thoughts/Suggestions

Postby JHopkins19 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:Do you recall if its happening after a technical foul?

I do not, but the next time I see it happen I will check the game log specifically for that and report back.
JHopkins19

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 pm

JHopkins19 wrote:- I'd like to be able to click on a players name from a box score/player awards and have their player card pull up

I can double click on a player in the box score and bring up their player card - try it, it should work

- When my initial assistant coaches contracts run out, I'm not able to bid on them again. Is this working as designed? For example, I would have loved to retain my 1st assistant, but he was demanding money I couldn't afford. When the staff hiring portion occurred, he wasn't available to hire, and then when I checked on him, he signed for significantly less than what he had demanded to extend and at a dollar amount I could have afforded.

Did he take a job at a better school or for a higher assistant job? Usually if the coach doesn't show up it just means he's not interested in working with you

- I moved from Delaware to Wisconsin and was given an initial 2 year contract. I think that needs to be looked at as no coach would ever accept those terms. I also noticed that during that first year with a new program, your old schools incoming recruit class populate din the bottom right screen instead of your new school.

I will change the minimum to 3 years and it is updating that box but only momentarily. The reason it switches back is because it is based on the team you are viewing on the upper right side window which remains the old school. I have changed it in 1.2 to change to your new school automatically

- Incoming freshman logic needs to be looked at. As Wisconsin, I signed the #183 SG and #638 C for depth/long term purposes. I made sure that both had "playing time" as not a concern. They didn't have incidents throughout the year and actually received 5-10 minutes per game. Advance to the next season and both are transferring. This has happened consistently in my experience. I'd get it if they were the top rates at their position/5 star guys and rode the bench, but I have found trouble building depth at times due to unrealistic playing expectations from incoming freshman. Unless they are transferring for another reason? Is there a way to see WHY a player is transferring?

There has to be a reason they transferred. First of course is grades - that they have under a 2.0 because if they have poor grades and you are at at least a decent school academic wise then there's a good chance they transfer out. The other reason is attitude - one thing to monitor for sure is their relationship with you. If that falls below 50% you're going to be in danger of losing the player because they really don't like you as a coach at that point. Relationship with teammates is also important. A number of things could drop these other than incidents - playing time, losing, your temper rating vs their personality, any phone calls you make to them...remember the game takes into account you coaching these kids every day and not just what happens on 30 game days. Even if playing time wasn't a huge deal if they feel there is someone they are better than playing in front of them they're not going to be happy about it. They could choose to sulk and pout without causing an incident and just become more gradually frustrated over time.

The relationship status is important to monitor - if you notice it getting low try to do something about it if the player is important whether that's giving them significant playing time or calling them and trying to talk to them about their attitude. Once it starts to break down the players are at risk for transferring.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby JHopkins19 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks for the replies!
JHopkins19

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Also in trying to pinpoint this - I assume stop on all deadball is not checked, auto sub is checked and what about show halftime report?
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby JHopkins19 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm

The only option I have checked is enable subs.
JHopkins19

Postby thermocaster » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:Do you recall if its happening after a technical foul?

I just had this happen again, and it does appear to have happened right after a technical foul. There was a tech called on the Cal coach with the game 76-72 Oregon State - and every subsequent possession, OSU got the ball. There was even a possession where OSU's player was called for a foul --- on one of OSU's other players. And that player shot free throws. And then OSU got the ball back again.

This was happening in 2D, on 10 speed.
thermocaster

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Was the Cal coach AI controlled and were they home or away?
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Wayne23 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Gary, pardon the hijack, but is this true? Was it ever true:

Is it still true that there's no point repeating a pitch once that pitch has been made? Ex: I pitched Location. The recruit had mild interest, say somewhere in the middle. Will continuing to pitch that change anything. This is NOT about Visits to discuss an area, just about the pitch. I know visits are different and repeating can help there.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby thermocaster » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:Was the Cal coach AI controlled and were they home or away?

Both coaches were AI-controlled (I was the 2nd assistant on Oregon State) and the game was actually on a neutral court (Pac 12 tournament).
thermocaster

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Wayne23 wrote:Gary, pardon the hijack, but is this true? Was it ever true:

Is it still true that there's no point repeating a pitch once that pitch has been made? Ex: I pitched Location. The recruit had mild interest, say somewhere in the middle. Will continuing to pitch that change anything. This is NOT about Visits to discuss an area, just about the pitch. I know visits are different and repeating can help there.

Each visit is its own "thing" (dont know how to better describe it) so if you pitch a category they're not interested in once it will likely have the same impact the next time. So if you are able to figure out what category is most important and you are strong in that category it would be wise to pitch the same thing again - if he wants to play for a power conference and you are Duke you don't go in and pitch the academic reputation of the school because last time you got him all fired up about playing in the ACC now do you?
Gary Gorski
WS Development

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion