Interacting w/ Players - Best practices?

Interacting w/ Players - Best practices?

Postby JHopkins19 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 am

Any best practices regarding interacting with players? It seems like every time I attempt to do this, the player never takes it well. Is there anything in their player card which suggests whether someone should be treated tough or gently?

Secondly, are there any "tells" during the recruiting process that would give a glimpse into a player being a problem child or not? For example, when calling a player and the player not answering your question and sarcastically saying they fell asleep or playing a video game. Is that a "tell?"
JHopkins19

Re: Interacting w/ Players - Best practices?

Postby novafan14 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15 am

JHopkins19 wrote:Any best practices regarding interacting with players? It seems like every time I attempt to do this, the player never takes it well. Is there anything in their player card which suggests whether someone should be treated tough or gently?

Secondly, are there any "tells" during the recruiting process that would give a glimpse into a player being a problem child or not? For example, when calling a player and the player not answering your question and sarcastically saying they fell asleep or playing a video game. Is that a "tell?"

My strategy is to first use the "address gently" for the first occurance and then if occurs again i'll consider using the "strongly admonish". I've had mixed success though especially with players who have poor personalities (shown on the bar graph in the player profile page)...If their personality is "disruptive" it seems they are much more combative and unreceptive to my coach's phone call. I'm sure having a better reputation as coach also helps influence the player more so too.

When recruiting, I will scan the "Recruit Notes" for players I'm targetting to see if there are any red flags reported by the recruit assistant coach. I try to avoid guys who have questionable work ethic, recurring injury history, and especially attitude problems. You won't always get a report on each or any of those traits as it seems they only come in after recruit shows some interest in the program and after several weeks of being on the "call list". I'll often factor these in when I make my scholarship offers.
novafan14

Postby JHopkins19 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:32 pm

novafan14 wrote:
JHopkins19 wrote:Any best practices regarding interacting with players? It seems like every time I attempt to do this, the player never takes it well. Is there anything in their player card which suggests whether someone should be treated tough or gently?

My strategy is to first use the "address gently" for the first occurance and then if occurs again i'll consider using the "strongly admonish". I've had mixed success though especially with players who have poor personalities (shown on the bar graph in the player profile page)...If their personality is "disruptive" it seems they are much more combative and unreceptive to my coach's phone call. I'm sure having a better reputation as coach also helps influence the player more so too.

When recruiting, I will scan the "Recruit Notes" for players I'm targetting to see if there are any red flags reported by the recruit assistant coach. I try to avoid guys who have questionable work ethic, recurring injury history, and especially attitude problems. You won't always get a report on each or any of those traits as it seems they only come in after recruit shows some interest in the program and after several weeks of being on the "call list". I'll often factor these in when I make my scholarship offers.

Thanks for the reply and ideas. Total brainfart on the recruiting notes.
JHopkins19

Postby Seazyceaz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 pm

I was too hard on a guy and he transferred (would be my starting PF, so it was a hit!) so I’ve stopped interacting at all with them, since we only get practice occurrences before and after the season anyway
Seazyceaz

Postby PointGuard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Seazyceaz wrote:I was too hard on a guy and he transferred (would be my starting PF, so it was a hit!) so I’ve stopped interacting at all with them, since we only get practice occurrences before and after the season anyway

Not acting can at times have adverse consequences as well. The rest of the team might begin losing respect for you as coach and player relations may suffer as well. That can impact how your team performs. And if the relationship with the coach goes down enough, players may transfer.

While there is the greatest number of team incidents during the training period, individual player interactions occur throughout the year and those can affect not only the players involved but also the rest of the team.

How you as Head Coach handle these situations probably should reflect what you've set as your discipline level. Low discipline coaches probably let things go more whereas high discipline coaches get after guys more. Also, how you respond depends on who you recruit. I think if you recruit guys who are very interested in discipline and then they find that the coach never does anything to handle situations that arise, their relationship with the coach is likely to decline and the possibility of their transferring increases.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Seazyceaz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 am

PG, my mindset right now is that even if a player causes problems before & after the season it is only 2-3 instances throughout the year so no need to go crazy on him, but as you pointed out this may back fire. Coming towards the end of only my 2nd season as a head coach so I know I have a lot left to learn
Seazyceaz

Postby Double Dribble » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm

This has been a very helpful thread! i had a player who got into a couple of skirmishes earlier in the year. Thought i handled it by calling him because he didnt cause any more issues. However the chemistry with his teammates never really improved and he was lashing out by getting technicals practically every game lol He was a great sixth man for me but between the chemistry issues and playing time he transferred. i was shocked! but after reading this thread it makes sense and is a good game mechanic. i will also be more aware if someone is tweeting wolverine studios instead of paying attention to me on the phone. hmmm... is gary saying tweeting wolverine studios is bad? lol
Double Dribble

Postby PointGuard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 pm

There are some who should have their tweeting fingers and thumbs cut off. Just sayin'.
:rolleyes:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby ZorbaGarp » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Are there ways to interact without scolding, for example just calling to encourage a player? Also, has anyone had success changing a player's shot preference by asking them to drive more or shoot more threes?
ZorbaGarp

Postby jfsolo23 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:10 pm

It's not a big deal, but IMO, walk-ons should basically be perfect angels with a great work ethic. On pretty much every team IRL they know if they caused any trouble or got an attitude with the coach, they would get kicked off the squad in two seconds.
jfsolo23

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion