Game Questions

Game Questions

Postby bagman428 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 pm

I have some questions for anyone that can answer on here... I am trying to find a good college sim game but the only one ive come across is cactus... i like it but its a bit unrealistic and very costly!.... each season costs money... was looking for something similar but cheaper... i have some questions about the game hopefully someone can answer

1. If i play a full season will it automatically seed the teams for the ncaa tournament? or will it use the real life seedings?
2. Are the players real with real names and also can you use real team logos and change the names of the teams since they are not real
3. Can you just let the computer control both teams and watch the game unfold in front of you? i am not talking about auto playing a game automatically but just watching the game controlled by 2 computer managers
4. Can I create my own schedule and league? like say i want to create a league of 40 teams with 2 divisions can i do that?

Thanks

Tom
bagman428

Re: Game Questions

Postby bagman428 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:36 pm

More questions

1. Does the game include older seasons or just the current season
2. If i am playing a full schedule am I able to view any game on the schedule or do i have to be an assistant or coach that particular team to watch a game? I know in some sims you can view any game but in others you have to set up a coach for every team to be able to view games for that particular team
bagman428

Postby Double Dribble » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 pm

I will do my best to answer your questions. To me, this is an amazing game and recreates the strategy and authenticity of college basketball to an incredible degree. However, it is more of a what-if type game rather than a single season replay.

1. You can play the current season if you download the correct mod which is located in the mods section. There might be some recent older seasons that are mods, but nothing exhaustive. The game is editable, but I imagine it would be quite the undertaking to correctly mod seasons on your own.

2. You can watch any game on the schedule. Just click and watch. You can view the gamecast screen which is play by play or a 2d screen which shows player movement.

3. The game will seed for you and there is even a selection show that mimics what you see on tv! The demo which allows you to play a single season stops right before the seedings and tournament show is played though to entice you to pay. :-)

4. You can download logos and players from the mod section. With the right mods, the game looks beautiful!

5. I don't think you can create a custom league, but you can create a custom tournament. I haven't done it myself though.

To me the true beauty of the game is you can play unlimited seasons, recruit players and create your own dynasty. You can try to build a team that wins with athleticism and defense. As of now, I have a team with two 7 footers and I am running a post heavy offense that feeds them the ball constantly. Got knocked out in the sweet 16, but I hope to do better the following year. Give the demo a spin. I don't know if the game is exactly what you are looking for, but I think you may enjoy it even more because it has a lot more possibilities than just a single season replay.
Double Dribble

Postby bagman428 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:23 pm

So you are saying the game plays into the the future meaning I can play many years into the future starting with 2018? Im guessing if i use the mods it will have real players till it goes into the future then the players will be fake.

It may sound boring but I prefer just to be a spectator to the game. Do I have to take over a team or can i just let the computer control all teams and I can just watch any game of my desire on the schedule?
bagman428

Postby Double Dribble » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:36 pm

bagman428 wrote:So you are saying the game plays into the the future meaning I can play many years into the future starting with 2018? Im guessing if i use the mods it will have real players till it goes into the future then the players will be fake.

Yes.

t may sound boring but I prefer just to be a spectator to the game. Do I have to take over a team or can i just let the computer control all teams and I can just watch any game of my desire on the schedule?

Doesn't sound boring at all!

I believe the game will let you do what you want. As I said , there is a demo so give it a try. You will have to download the mods. There are mods for logos, players and coaches in the mod section. They will work in the demo after proper installation. The demo will let you spectate almost a full season. It stops right before the tournament.

I think you will have a lot of fun because the game is beautiful to look at and it will be like watching a real live espn webcast!
Double Dribble

Postby bagman428 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like i will like it.... i will get it soon may try the demo first since it sounds like i will have full control and be able to do anything just like the real game except the tourney.. thanks again
bagman428

Postby Gary Gorski » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Answers for you right from the developer's mouth
1. If i play a full season will it automatically seed the teams for the ncaa tournament? or will it use the real life seedings?

You play year round in the game. You start with summer recruiting, play the season, conf tournament and post season tournaments and then go onto the next season and repeat. It has nothing to do with the real life teams or season

2. Are the players real with real names and also can you use real team logos and change the names of the teams since they are not real

No, the players are not real nor are they based on real players and the teams are fictional as well but you can edit anything you want. The community has provided mods which will add the real teams, logos, courts and even coaches and maybe players? Check the mod forum and see what is available but it is all done by the community.

3. Can you just let the computer control both teams and watch the game unfold in front of you? i am not talking about auto playing a game automatically but just watching the game controlled by 2 computer managers

Yes on the schedule you can choose to watch any game that you want just as you can watch and coach your own games

4. Can I create my own schedule and league? like say i want to create a league of 40 teams with 2 divisions can i do that?

No you cannot edit things in that fashion

1. Does the game include older seasons or just the current season

The game contains no seasons - its purely fictional

2. If i am playing a full schedule am I able to view any game on the schedule or do i have to be an assistant or coach that particular team to watch a game? I know in some sims you can view any game but in others you have to set up a coach for every team to be able to view games for that particular team

You can view any game on the schedule for any day - you just check the box next to the game to signal you want to watch instead of sim
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby PointGuard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Highly suggest you at least download bloomington's 2017-2018 Real World Mod. That provides correct team names, nicknames, and logos and correct conference names and logos. It also includes actual courts for each team.

As to the other mods, they're all good but it just depends on which you want.

I "believe" the Real World Roster mode provides correct names for players for the 2017-2018 season but the skills, attributes, and characteristics of the players have not yet been provided. I don't use that one, so maybe others who have can provide you with better info.

Since it sounds like you primarily want to sim things, you can sim (or play out) as much as you wish, including not only game play but also recruiting and off-season tasks. So if you want, you can quick sim an entire season and then continue doing that for as many seasons as you wish.

While the game seeds the end of year tourneys, you can also create your own 64-team tournaments with ease using Tournament Maker which is part of the game. You can then sim (or play out) those games.

There are two basic formats for conference set up. The primary one replicates existing conferences exactly. The other is a promotion/relegation mode which creates 16-team conferences based initially on team prestige levels. Top finishing teams in each conference get promoted to the next higher conference and bottom feeds get relegated to the next lower conference at the end of each season. You can not create your own conferences like you mentioned.

You can adjust your own team's pre-conference schedule, by switching out teams the computer has scheduled and picking from a list of teams that can replace those. Conference games are scheduled by the computer.

There are a LOT of different ways you can play the game, so try different things and play it the way that best suits you.

There's a Game Guide available in the OPTIONS tab of the game. It provides basic guidance to get you started.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby bagman428 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 pm

One last question.... I will probably just download the real world mod and logos i do not plan to download the real player names file. So my question is this. Since the game is fictional and uses fake players will the teams perform as they do in real life.. like teams with strong reputations like duke and kentucky should I be seeing those teams do better than teams that are bad in real life.... just curious if its all random or based on team reputation and if i play into the future should i continue to expect to see those top teams do good or will it be very different the longer i play into the future?

Also the game doesnt look like it has an "out of town scoreboard" from what ive seen on some video clips.. meaning if im manually watching/playing a game you wont be able to see the scores in real time of other games in progress on that day, that would be a great feature to add to the game...

I will download the demo tmr
bagman428

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 am

At least during the first few seasons the strong teams in real life are the strong teams in the game.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion