Shooting Ratings & Percentages

Re: Shooting Ratings & Percentages

Postby Double Dribble » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:32 am

im already on to the next season and hes graduated...your game is just too addicting! if i find anyone else similar ill send it your way
Double Dribble

Postby PointGuard » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Gary: Think I may have hit on something re the 3P issue. See my email and attached game files.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby leslieweizen » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm

I just wanted to say that this is a great thread, and I appreciate the posts by the OP and by C-Bailey. I don’t have CB18 yet and am only just now digging into CB17 in a hardcore way, but their posts reflect my biggest struggles with the game so far.

My favorite part of all WS basketball games is molding the players I’ve drafted/recruited into their most efficient possible selves offensively, and this is a HUGE part of the CB games, as so many top recruits arrive on campus as high volume bricklayers. Problem is, they don’t really grow out of that, and it’s inevitable to have some on your team. There’s really no way to recruit a steady stream of high-efficiency outside shooters, as many of these guys have shooting ratings of ‘A’ and, eventually, high FGI / FGJ ratings. Four of my six Top 100 recruits shoot a lot but are somewhere between mediocre and hopeless in terms of efficiency. Your coaching edge becomes minimizing the damage they can do, rather than pushing them toward excellence.
leslieweizen

Postby hefewe1zen » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Here's what I assume but I'm still new to the game (playing CB17 but I guess engine is the same):

- A player either drives or takes a shot (right pie ratio).
    Drives are tied to the FGD hidden rating.

- Shots (100%-drives) are either 3 pointers, jumpers or post shots (left pie ratio).
    They are tied to FG3, FGJ and FGI hidden ratings.

-In-game ratings take both tendencies and individual shot ratings into account (so PF/C have high inside scoring).

-Scoring and shooting ratings are not related. High scoring only means more shots taken.

What I'm not sure about:

-Some players shot much more 3 pointers than they should (like 40% 3pt taken with 25% ratio) which leads me to think that actual shot ratios are dependant on playing position (like SG shooting more 3pters if playing PG).

-If FG% depends on shot ratings, not scoring, how does scoring matter? In theory, a team of 1-rated scorers should be just as able to produce high FG%. Except if low scoring means more passive play which leads to forced shots late on the shot clock and turnovers.

-In terms of tactics, offensive style mostly depends on which players on court have high scoring (for example, 3 high scoring outside shooters or dominant forwards with playmaking guards). --> What does shooting preference do then? If favoring outside, will it make outside shooters take more shots or ALL players take more outside shots?

-I still don't have an idea how passing and ball handling affects anything other than not giving the ball away (even though clearly they should, as making offensive decision making helps teammates get clean shots).
hefewe1zen

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion