Shooting Ratings & Percentages

Shooting Ratings & Percentages

Postby phillycheese » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:04 am

So I've noticed this a ton in my 30+ year association where I started with Grand Canyon then moved to Arizona where recruits with an "A" rating in outside scoring and guard with "A" in inside scoring tend to not have that great of ratings and shoot terrible percentages. In the 1-10 scouting, they'll even be a 9 or 10 in outside shooting but a closer look at the ratings show a mid 30 rating in FGJ and low 30 rating in 3pt shot.

I just want to know if this is expected and how are we actually supposed to find good shooters because I've recruited a ton of "A" outside shooting guards and bigs with only a couple of them actually able to shoot 40% in threes.
phillycheese

Re: Shooting Ratings & Percentages

Postby Gary Gorski » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:08 am

Well I can take a look at it but there's scouting error as well. Surely you've probably seen some B or even C shooters who turn out to be pretty good, right?
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby PointGuard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:16 am

Haven't analyzed individual player shooting percentages, but avg (mean) and range for TEAM FG% and 3PA% and FT% are VERY close to what occurs in real life, so overall I think there's not a problem.

And yeah, scouting error can create mis-impressions on how individual players will perform. This probably is greater at low prestige colleges since there is less budget and therefore lower quality coaches.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby phillycheese » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 am

PointGuard wrote:Haven't analyzed individual player shooting percentages, but avg (mean) and range for TEAM FG% and 3PA% and FT% are VERY close to what occurs in real life, so overall I think there's not a problem.

And yeah, scouting error can create mis-impressions on how individual players will perform. This probably is greater at low prestige colleges since there is less budget and therefore lower quality coaches.

Right but for the most part it was at Arizona with my scouting at 100 and my assistant at 94. It's a struggle to get my team to shoot 35% from deep and over 42% from the field. I can't tell you how many 5-star players I've had that shoot in the low 30's for field goal percentage but have 10 scouted in outside shooting.
phillycheese

Postby The Purple Emperor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 am

What are their FGJ % and FGJA as a percentage of total shots taken? Usually that is the culprit to poor shooting in DDS games from what I have found.
The Purple Emperor

Postby PointGuard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:28 am

phillycheese wrote:
PointGuard wrote:Haven't analyzed individual player shooting percentages, but avg (mean) and range for TEAM FG% and 3PA% and FT% are VERY close to what occurs in real life, so overall I think there's not a problem.

Right but for the most part it was at Arizona with my scouting at 100 and my assistant at 94. It's a struggle to get my team to shoot 35% from deep and over 42% from the field. I can't tell you how many 5-star players I've had that shoot in the low 30's for field goal percentage but have 10 scouted in outside shooting.

That's rather unusual alright.

In the 4 seasons I analyzed team stats for DDSCB2018, the mean for all 352 teams for 3P% was 35.5%, 34.7%, 34.6% and 34.5% whereas the mean for all Div 1 teams in real life NCAA the past 2 seasons was 34.8% and 34.8%.

The range for all 352 teams for the DDSCB2018 four seasons for 3P% was: 27.7%-43.4%, 22.6%-43.1%, 25.7%-43.7%, and 26.9%-44.4% whereas the range for all Div.1 teams in real life NCAA the past 2 seasons was: 26.7%-42.9% and 27.1%-42.6%.

So both the MEAN and the RANGE were very similar for teams when comparing DDSCB2018 and Real Life NCAA Division 1. Obviously individual team's percentages would be different between DDSCB and Real Life since in DDSCB the players are fictional with different skills than the players on the same team in Real LIfe.

Maybe Purple Emperor's comments are correct with respect to how often your team was lofting up 3's....or one or two players on your team with poor 3P shooting skills were shooting too much.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby The Purple Emperor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:05 am

I was speaking of jumpers, actually. It is a very low percentage shot, and in DDS, a poor shooting percentage is usually tied to too many jumpers, which is normally corrected by having them post up or take more 3s for greater efficiency. Driving can result in an increase, but only if the opponents have a low drive stop % - otherwise it turns into a jumper (which is why you can never completely get rid of jumpers for anyone but centers).
The Purple Emperor

Postby Double Dribble » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:08 am

i would say proper offense and pace and complimentary players matter a lot. Make sure you are running a system that is a good fit for your players and that they are getting enough practice in it or they could underachieve
Double Dribble

Postby C-Bailey24 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:16 am

Yes the AVG of overall Team numbers may come out looking okay but the OP is spot on with this. Guards and Swingmen shoot low percentages in this game and this is actually something that is not new. It was even worse in last year's game. I made a post about it with last year's release and it just got glossed over. I sent pm's to Gary and Wayne about it also. I've discussed it with Gary via email regarding this year's version as well. It's not simply about scouting error and what type of offense you run. It's a game engine flaw also. We can only coach one team so the CPU teams are not gonna "coach" their players to drive more and post up, etc. I'm not bashing the game at all but if you wanna see for yourself just take a few minutes and start going through some teams and conferences in your association and click on the STATS page. Sort by FGA and you'll be surprised by the percentages you see. You'll notice a trend when clicking on player cards. Centers and Power Forwards will usually be somewhere between 46-60%. Makes sense because they're shooting right near the basket for the most part. But then you'll notice that the guards and swingmen are mostly, not ALL, but mostly sub 44% shooters. That's just not realistic.

IMO, the first thing that contributes to this is that despite a player's Shot Preferences saying 80% Jumper/ 20% Three, they're actually taking over 50% of their overall shots from behind the arc. Again, you can see this on the stats page by sorting by FGA. You'll commonly see 8 FGA/G, and in the corresponding 3PFGA will be a 4, 5,or even 6 and 7. Guards and Swingmen don't drive enough nor take enough shots on the mid-range. Majority of their inside shots come off of the steal--fast break--then layup/dunk animation. But a true dribble drive to score at the rim game is lacking. Again, before someone says "you can coach your player to do xyz" this is not just about MY team but the overall association. Player creation and the offensive sets also contribute. Majority of the guards and swingmen have heavy "Shot" tendencies and very low "Drive" tendencies so in the offensive sets they tend to just hang outside of the arc and tha'ts where they end up shooting it. I have a guy on my team right now who i've called and "coached" to be a 22%Post, 39%Jumper, 29%Three guy. Through 13 games he's taken 32 shots and TWENTY-TWO of them have been from three-point land. Same thing for him last season. 86 shots...45 of them from Three. Again i'm not trying to tear the game down or ruin anyone's fun/experience but this is indeed a flaw in an otherwise great game. So if no one else does it i'm personally asking the OP to do what i said and take a look around his association at a lot of the teams and you'll discover that it's not just your players but lots and lots more.
C-Bailey24

Postby PointGuard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:24 pm

True, lots of 3's by perimeter players in DDSCB. But take a look at real life NCAA team stats though, and you'll see a lot of their perimeter players taking over 50% of their FGA's from beyond the arc.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion