Non Conference Games

Non Conference Games

Postby OneAndDone » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm a casual college basketball fan but I would like to learn more and play realistically.

How does everyone choose their non conference schedules? I understand top teams have more difficult games than small teams. But what is a typical non conference schedule for a top team? Small team? Middle team?
OneAndDone

Re: Non Conference Games

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:22 am

I don't know if there is a typical NC schedule - I think you really should use it as a strategy portion of the game. For example I started a game using Central Michigan and I gave myself a tough NC schedule in year one. I figured if I play good teams that will help me having those on my resume even if they are losses when it comes time for tournament consideration. Turns out the team was so lousy I didn't make any tournament at all. After two years my job security was getting pretty low and one of the requirements the board wanted was to be above .500 so I changed the NC schedule to be a bunch of cupcakes to get some early and easy wins and keep my job safe :)

If I'm using a powerhouse school I wouldn't go on the road to play a cupcake and I might schedule one or two tough NC opponents just to see how good my team was early on - you know, to figure out where you stand. All in all really though it should be a choice to fit your motives and do what you feel is best for your school right then and there.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion