Help with recruiting

Help with recruiting

Postby Eugene93126 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:33 pm

I am currently coach for the Clemson TIgers and we went 9 and 19 last season and last year we got 4 recruits. One was ranked 165, the other 180, then a ranked 265, and finally a ranked 885. Our team barely have any players right now even with those recruits and we only have one sg and we have too many big mans, 4 pfs, and 3 Cs, and only 2 Pgs, and 2 SFs. Our team is young but inexperienced and we are in May 1st right before recruiting starts. All one more thing, our prestige is at a 40 right now so recruiting is going to be an arduous process. To make matters even worse, my job security bar is going lower and lower and it seems like I am on the verge of getting fired. Is there any way to save this nightmare? Any tips for recruiting and run a successful play for my big man team?
Eugene93126

Re: Help with recruiting

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:34 pm

1. If you have open roster spots, starting on 6/5 you can try to grab some transfers. That won;t help you this year, since they need to sit out a year, but if you get any it will help over the long haul.

2. Make sure you have at least $40,000 for recruiting. That's my minimum. I even hire cheap assistants if I need to in order to have that money.

3. You will get walk ons added to your roster on 6/25. Since you have only 2 guards, they will be PGs or SGs.

4. Keep going after any recruit who shows any interest at all, if you like him, and with in state, and sometimes in region recruits, go after them even if they show no interest. Sometimes they will get interested in time.

5. Save some money for March and April. There will be recruits available who did not get picked by the schools they wanted, so they need to find a school to play at. I get some good recruits in the spring!

6. I build my team by doing 2 things: 1. Set recruiting to "Easy" for the first two season, "Normal" after that. And, 2. I schedule easy non-conference games. Wins draw recruits!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Eugene93126 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks! Originally I scheduled a really hard non conferene games and that is probably why I ended up with a 1 and 9 record beginning conference play. I thought if we beat any of those good teams we would get a bump on prestige but instead it backfired. I would take your advice for the spring recruiting and see if I can snub some top 100 player. But any gameplans for my big man lineup?
Eugene93126

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:59 pm

1. You can be somewhat successful with an SF at SG, IF he has good ball handling skills, say 5 for PAS, 4 for HDL, or better. I've had luck with this strategy.

2. You can play a one guard lineup, and just go for all the RBs you can get to make up for the turnovers you're bound to get!
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 am

Eugene93126 wrote:Thanks! Originally I scheduled a really hard non conferene games and that is probably why I ended up with a 1 and 9 record beginning conference play. I thought if we beat any of those good teams we would get a bump on prestige but instead it backfired. I would take your advice for the spring recruiting and see if I can snub some top 100 player. But any gameplans for my big man lineup?

Prestige is only changed after the season and based on what you achieve overall - ie total number of wins, conference championships, what postseason tournament you made, how far you got in the big tournament...and it is measured both as a portion of how good you have been over time and with a recency bias factor based on what you did last season
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion