Advanced Stats Section > PER vs. EFF

Advanced Stats Section > PER vs. EFF

Postby deftones » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm

As I'm looking through my players individual advanced stats I see there are categories for PER and EFF. What is the difference between the two? The definitions are Player Efficiency Rating and Individual Player Efficiency, but what do each of them mean? Do you give more weight to one or the other?

I'm looking to tweak the minutes distro for my starters and bench and trying to see if these two stats categories would be helpful in backing up these decisions.
deftones

Re: Advanced Stats Section > PER vs. EFF

Postby PointGuard » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:42 pm

Check this site out for a comparison of Eff vs PER as well as the Eff formula: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficiency_(basketball)

Check this site for the complex formula for PER: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_efficiency_rating

As to which is better: They're 2 different ways of evaluating players. Since individual player ratings can at times vary between the two, I just look at both to get a general sense of things.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby deftones » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:34 am

Thank you for the feedback. In general, what ways, other than looking at boxscores, do you evaluate players and make lineup and minutes adjustments during the season?
deftones

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 pm

I base lineup changes on how well a player is doing offensively, but with a LOT of consideration given to how good a defender a given player is. I will sacrifice offensive production for good D, but I will try to establish a balance. As in real life, some guys earn more time, and even earn their way into the starting lineup. BUT, I like to have at least one guy who can come off the bench and light it up a little.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:23 pm

deftones wrote:Thank you for the feedback. In general, what ways, other than looking at boxscores, do you evaluate players and make lineup and minutes adjustments during the season?

There are so many evaluative means within this game...and I'm sure that each and every player of the game weighs and uses these means differently. Here are a few that I use to varying degrees:

Player ratings
Per game stats--particularly shooting percentages
Per 40 min. stats--helps with player comparisons
Shooting stats--particularly what stands out--good and bad
Advanced stats--one place where you can get a little sense of defensive abilities
Player cards--player stats to show development (or regression); game logs; ratings progression; play proficiencies; shot preferences; career bests; shot chart (what stands out good and bad)
Chemistry
Lineup Tracking
Leaders (how do your key players do compared to those on other teams)
Team Stats (are the individual player accomplishments/stats/etc really doing what you want for the team)
Team Info (leaders but moreso a quick way to look at team/opponent stat comparisons)
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby PointGuard » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Good points by Wayne on making lineup changes throughout the season.

One thing I tend to get burned on from time to time is to have a player who comes in off the bench and plays well most every game. Because of that I decide to put him in the starting lineup...and then he performs poorly or marginally well. The difference probably is due to the guy playing a high percentage of his on court time with and against other subs when he was coming off the bench...but having to play a much higher percentage of his on court time with and against higher quality players as a starter.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion