Is There a Way to Replicate Pack Line Defense

Is There a Way to Replicate Pack Line Defense

Postby ZorbaGarp » Wed May 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Wondering how people adjust pressure and double teams. Would it emulate Virginia's pack line defense if you played at a low intensity (3 or 4) to replicate sagging and then double team everyone to replicate on-ball pressure? Make sense?
ZorbaGarp

Re: Is There a Way to Replicate Pack Line Defense

Postby PointGuard » Wed May 09, 2018 3:49 pm

I've never tried anything close to that. Not sure how the game would handle that...Maybe it would create a lot of open shots as your players tried to double team all over and others became free???

Guess you could try playing some exhibition games and experiment to see what happens. Maybe it would work but maybe it would be like pouring water into liquid nitrogen. :eek:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:35 pm

ZorbaGarp wrote:Wondering how people adjust pressure and double teams. Would it emulate Virginia's pack line defense if you played at a low intensity (3 or 4) to replicate sagging and then double team everyone to replicate on-ball pressure? Make sense?

I'm wondering this myself. UVA is local ACC school (my daughter graduated from there) and I see every game on TV. My impressions of all those years of watching UVA is that:

1) They position themselves first to take away the 'handed' drive.
2) When they first take position, they resemble a 3-2 zone.
3) They try to keep the ball out of the low post, however when it gets there, they double team whoever has the ball.
4) The guards are all tall and athletic. They switch easily.
5) When the ball goes up, the bigs block out and everyone goes for the rebound.
6) They don't double team outside much at all. As I said earlier, they look to take away the drive.
7) They never press.
8) they never sag off, they stick to their man and try to box him out when the ball goes up.
9) they take more charges than any team I have ever seen--the result of positioning to take away drives.
10) They are most vulnerable to jumpers from the top of the key.
11) They only use an 8 man rotation and that always leaves them vulnerable to a big injury at the end of the season.

Question: Where is this defensive intensity setting and double-team options? I don't see them on the Defensive settings screen.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Your_Imaginary_Friend wrote:Question: Where is this defensive intensity setting and double-team options? I don't see them on the Defensive settings screen.

Those settings are available when playing out a game. Click on "Subs/Strategy" icon, then you can check off which position(s) you want to double team and can also change "Defense Intensity" and "Press Frequency".
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:42 pm

PointGuard wrote:
Your_Imaginary_Friend wrote:Question: Where is this defensive intensity setting and double-team options? I don't see them on the Defensive settings screen.

Those settings are available when playing out a game. Click on "Subs/Strategy" icon, then you can check off which position(s) you want to double team and can also change "Defense Intensity" and "Press Frequency".

thanks, i was afraid of that. I never play out games.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Your_Imaginary_Friend wrote:
PointGuard wrote:

thanks, i was afraid of that. I never play out games.

Can't do anything with double teaming anywhere else, but you CAN set Defensive Intensity on your HOME page..that would set it for entire games...can only alter it WITHIN a game in the way I mentioned in my earlier posting.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Yes, I do that. And I'm beginning to notice that it works. At least on rebounding, which does produce meaningful stats.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion