Buying DDS games

Buying DDS games

Postby lukevol » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 am

Hey guys.

I'm writing this post because I've been pretty conflicted these past days because I'm undecided whether to buy DDSCB and DDSPB. Don't get me wrong I love the idea and I've been looking for college and pro basketball games, that are sort of similar to "Football Manager" for a loooong time, and both games look like they go close enough compared to anything else on the market. The problem that's been keeping me back is that I've read terrible reviews on steam and generally on the internet (among which numerous comments say how the game is very unstable and crashes all times). I have, however also read that buying the steam version does not give you the right to the updates which can be downloaded only through the product code that WS gives you (so I've heard). Is this true? Because I will be willing to pay more money for the game comparing to the steam version, in order to have a nice, non-frustrating, crash-free experience.

Thank you
lukevol

Re: Buying DDS games

Postby PointGuard » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:36 pm

I don't play the Stream version so I can't help you with questions about that (e.g., how Stream handles updates) and will leave that up to others to answer, but....

I've been playing DDSCB since it's inception years ago and it is a fantastic game and has been VERY stable. Of course, it's always good to save regularly since computers can act in strange ways. :rolleyes:

I think the same goes for DDSPB (very good game and stable), although I don't own the most recent version of it (I would if I had the time to play both regularly).

I've seen no negative reviews about either game and the developer has been good with support. He does version updates (fixes) as needed, handles individual's problems, and provides new and improved aspects for each of these games via annual game revisions. The forums here also help with providing advice/suggestions to game players. So I highly recommend both games.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby lukevol » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Thank you, I feel reassured now. Hopefully somebody will be able to tell me if it's the same case for the steam version
lukevol

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:48 pm

A few years ago the games tended to be unstable. The company has fixed that very well. Crashes and such are rare now, but, as PointGuard said, it's always a good idea to save regularly. I do the "suspenders and belt" thing and alternate saves between two names. Example: Bruins1 and Bruins2. T%hat way, if a RARE crash does happen, I haven't lost much. But truly, I don't really need to do that any more.
Wayne23

Postby lukevol » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 am

Is it the same in case I buy the game on Steam?
lukevol

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Should be.
Wayne23

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:10 pm

I own both games (and DDSPRO17, also) and all through Steam. Steam updates all the games whenever they are released--just like all games purchased through Steam.

I have come to prefer Steam because often I will open up a game and find an update I did not anticipate or know about. So I don't have to go through the hassle of downloading and running an .exe file my virus program might not like.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby lukevol » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 am

So have you ever had stability problems with the games on Steam?
lukevol

Postby PointGuard » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm surprised if there are present-day stability problems with these 2 games, but one thing that could POSSIBLY create issues (not sure if it really does anymore) is to perform actions within other programs on a computer while the game is performing actions (e.g., simming, saving, etc) which could POTENTIALLY create conflicts within the computer. Also, it doesn't make sense to me to run a year's worth of actions within the game without saving...regular saves are quick and easy to do.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 pm

lukevol wrote:So have you ever had stability problems with the games on Steam?

No, not a one. I'm surprised this is a concern for you, in fact.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion