Coaching Help/Tips Needed

Coaching Help/Tips Needed

Postby BKL » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 pm

I am fairly new to basketball but have played a number of other sport sim games. I have been decent at recruiting, but my weakness seems to be at coaching. I enjoy coaching the games, setting strategy, etc. I am hoping members of the forum could provide some guidance:

(1) What should I look at when scouting another team? How should I adapt my strategy to that scouting?
(2) How do I know what offense/defense to run? What should I look for?
(3) When my team is down in a game, what should I be looking for to make strategy changes, and what then should I do?
(4) Can someone provide some basic insight into the pro/cons of the in-game strategy, such as offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, offensive pace, etc.

Any help on any or all of these items would be welcome.

Thank you!
BKL

Re: Coaching Help/Tips Needed

Postby PointGuard » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 am

BKL wrote:I am fairly new to basketball but have played a number of other sport sim games. I have been decent at recruiting, but my weakness seems to be at coaching. I enjoy coaching the games, setting strategy, etc. I am hoping members of the forum could provide some guidance:

The comments below are purely my PERSONAL preference. There are a lot of ways to handle coaching.
(1) What should I look at when scouting another team? How should I adapt my strategy to that scouting? I don't pay a lot of attention to the descriptions in the scouting report on individual players, but look at what type of defense they employ...particularly if they use a zone defense a lot, I then increase the amount of time I spend in practice the week before I meet that team on the offensive zone that goes up against that zonel I look more closely at player stats...particularly ppg and FG% and 3P% for individual players to help me decide if I will double team specific players. I also look at their ratings to help me decide who I may focus my defense against.
(2) How do I know what offense/defense to run? What should I look for? When I take over a team I usually stick with the offenses and defenses that had been used since the returning players will have practiced and improved their ratings for those offenses and defenses. Over time, I may switch over one of these at a time. I think you can be successful with most any offense and defense you employ, but read the descriptions for each to try to determine if your team's players have strengths or weaknesses that would help make a particular offense or defense either successful or not. I usually practice and use 2-3 offenses and a man-to-man and one zone defense.
(3) When my team is down in a game, what should I be looking for to make strategy changes, and what then should I do? I tend to use a deep bench so that I can keep fresh legs on the floor (i.e.,not let EN drop too low). If down by several points in the waning moments of a game, I often will move to more outside shooting, greater freedom on offense, an a higher pace of play. I also might increase my defensive pressure and offensive/defensive rebounding.
(4) Can someone provide some basic insight into the pro/cons of the in-game strategy, such as offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, offensive pace, etc.This is really personal preference. I tend to keep offensive and defensive rebounding at some level above 5, my defensive pressure a little above 5, and my pace somewhere near the middle often a little above 5.

Again I think you'll find that DDSCB game players each have their own individual strategies and that there are many DIFFERENT ways to be successful.

Any help on any or all of these items would be welcome.

Thank you!
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion