How Do Walk-On's Work?

How Do Walk-On's Work?

Postby BKL » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 pm

Just starting the game and season (never have gotten through a full season as I'm relatively new to the game play). Regarding walk-on's can someone help me understand:

(1) Will there be try-outs for walk-on's and I get to decide who to keep, etc.? Or, does the game just assign new walk-on's as needed?
(2) If I release a walk-on, what happens to that spot? Will I be able to assign another walk-on?
(3) During recruiting, if I want more spots to recruit more players, should I release my walk-on's...will I be given more scholarships?

Thanks!
BKL

Re: How Do Walk-On's Work?

Postby PointGuard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:37 pm

1. No tryouts...the game just generates walkons for the teams. Usually the walkons are generated to build up your bench at positions where you have fewer than 3 players.
2. I assume if you release a walkon, another will be generated. But since I've never released a walkon to see if I can get a better one, I really am not sure.
3. Each team has 13 scholarships available to be filled. Your roster is made of 15 players so typically you have 13 scholarship players and 2 walkons. If for some reason you didn't fill all your scholarships, then additional walkons would be generated to fill those positions, but each walkon would not be awarded a scholarship unless you decide to do that on your own.
At the beginning of each recruiting season, the game will indicate how many scholarships you have to fill during recruiting. If all 13 scholarships were filled in the previous season, then the number you will have to fill will be: (total number of seniors who graduated + any players who transferred away from your team). So if you had 3 seniors who graduated and 1 player who transferred the number of available scholarships to fill would be (3+1) = 4. If you had only 11 scholarship players in the previous year (and therefore 4 walkons) and 3 of the scholarship players were seniors and one of your other scholarship players transferred away from your team, then you'd have (3 +1 + 2) = 6 available scholarships to fill during recruiting.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: How Do Walk-On's Work?

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:41 pm

If you release a walk-on, you will get another. On the other end, if you have too many walk-ons coming back, the game will release one so that you have 15 total players.

I generally cut all my walk-ons every year and hope the newly generated ones are better. I have had some very decent walk-ons when starting a new game and that guy I kept.

I do think about keeping my walk-ons around if they start as freshmen and gather enough experience with my offensive and defensive sets to make a difference. At this point I cannot tell what a useful difference is, so I remain hopeful of generating a better player instead of that.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion