Location Pitch

Location Pitch

Postby cbraddy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 am

Does anyone know how the location pitch works? For example, I'm currently coaching Depaul, located in Chicago. Recruiting a guy from O'Fallon Illinois. Granted they are in the same state but they are about 300 miles away so not really close to home. So, I'm trying to figure out if they go by state/region or if they factor in miles.
cbraddy

Re: Location Pitch

Postby NCAAhoops » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 am

I don't know how the game uses Location exactly, but I use it when a kid says he wants to play close to home and is in my state. I feel like it helps when I use it this way moving me up his list over out state schools.
NCAAhoops

Postby PointGuard » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:26 am

My feeling is that for those recruits for which location is important, in-state trumps (sorry for the use of that word) regional...and the recruit being within your region helps more than if the recruit resides outside your region.

There is also a "pipeline" factor that is built into the game's engine that influences some recruits...i.e., recruits from an area for which you've had repeated success recruiting will tend to look a little more favorably toward your program.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Over the years I have had lots of luck with in state and in region recruiting at low Prestige schools. As PointGuard said it only happens with recruits for whom location is a big factor, but it can happen.
Wayne23

Postby cbraddy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 am

Okay thank you letting me know. I wasn’t sure. I’m from Illinois and know Southern Illinois is pretty far from Chicago so wasn’t sure how the location worked exactly.
But with that in mind would a player from the same town as the college (who has close to home important) be favored more over other schools in that state?
cbraddy

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:04 am

It goes more by the cost of "Scout Live," "Host Recruit," and "Visit Recruit." Those in-state will have a cost of $125 each, and those are the most likely to be "landable." Recruits where the cost is $650, $500, and $700 are also possible targets for a school like Southern Illinois. Actual distance within the state is not a factor. I did some of the leg work and research for Gary when he was setting this up several years ago and it's a matter of drawing a circle to include a certain rough area of a certain number of miles out of state; that's what differentiates $650, $500, $700 from $850, $750, $900.
But states as small as Rhode Island and as large as California are treated the same in this regard.
You won't have any $650, $500, $700 states if your school is in Alaska or Hawaii, and few in some other remote areas.
Hope this helps and keep the questions coming!
Wayne23

Postby cbraddy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Yes thank you very much for your answer. I’m just getting back into it after a little break from the game and just trying to figure out some of the pitches. Thank you again!
cbraddy

Postby PointGuard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Great that you're back playing the game and posting.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby CoachC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:12 pm

location as already said is more expensive for recruiting, when going outside of your state or outside your region...the further you go outside of your region, the more expensive it becomes. however location has another effect...and that's when using it as a recuiting point during home visits. e.g. if you are in the midwest recruiting someone from the east coast that has location as a high priority (or where influential parents have it as a high priority), you are going to have a significant advantage promoting location over someone recruiting them from the west coast...a much more common occurence is when you are recruiting someone from your home state with location as a high priority....even against teams from the same region but from another state, it gives you a huge advantage. location matters not only in cost of recruiting, but in selling point at the end as well.
CoachC

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:23 pm

" if you are in the midwest recruiting someone from the east coast that has location as a high priority (or where influential parents have it as a high priority), you are going to have a significant advantage promoting location over someone recruiting them from the west coast"

Wha? Why and how? I get it if the recruit is in a mid-distance state- $650, $550, $700 rather than $850, $750, $900. Is that what you're saying? If not, tell me more because this is new to me.
Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion