Location Pitch

Re: Location Pitch

Postby CoachC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Wayne23 wrote:
Wha? Why and how? I get it if the recruit is in a mid-distance state- $650, $550, $700 rather than $850, $750, $900. Is that what you're saying? If not, tell me more because this is new to me.

that quote was not about the cost Wayne, but about the appeal of location on recruits during home visits.....the more regions away...and the same region but not in the same state for that matter......give you a huge advantage when using location as a point of emphasiis on home visits to recruits (or recruits parents) for which location matters...it's always been that way. It's always and forever been a go to ever since cb1
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby CoachC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:38 pm

e.g if you are a college in illinois recruiting someone from illinois for whom location matters (or for whom location matters to the parents), it's a huge recruiting point to emphasize during home visits even if you competing against someone next door in the same region like Indiana.
CoachC

Postby CoachC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:43 pm

but maybe less obvious would be the situation when you are in illinois recruiting someone from indiana and your opposition is in california....if the recruit cares about location..using it as a pont of emphasis will usually bring them to you.
CoachC

Postby CoachC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:45 pm

everything else matters too of course...but in november...location can often be the deciding factor in bringing home a recruit.
CoachC

Postby CoachC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:50 pm

but since the question was about how the location "pitch" works, rather than the cost of recruiting someone outside of region...i thought i'd throw my 2 cents in.
CoachC

Postby CoachC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:53 pm

i hope that made some sense in the end.
CoachC

Postby CoachC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:02 pm

one thing i don't think is intuitive to new players is that pitches don't mean squat until home visits. when you call a recruit and ask them about pitches...you are only asking about what matters to them, you aren't trying to sell them on anything....and you want to know ALL that info about your top recruits before your home visits....that's the only time the pitches matter...by then you know what they care about , and you know what you can offer them that your opponent recruiters can't.
CoachC

Postby PointGuard » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:56 pm

I agree that pitching location for instate players (for whom location is of some importance) gives you an advantage over schools that aren't in your state. Same for pitching location for players (for whom location is of some importance) in your region gives you an advantage over those schools outside your region. But I don't agree that pitching location for players who aren't in your region and who aren't in the region of a school going after the same player gives you an advantage if you are "closer"....if you are in Michigan, pitching location to a recruit who is in New York gives you no more advantage than a school in Colorado who is going after the same player. If it did, then schools in the central part of the U.S. would be at a continual advantage over schools that are on the coasts since they would be "closer" to more recruits.

I also believe that location means something to players (for whom location is of some importance) even BEFORE or WITHOUT a home visit. A player who is in your state or region understands that without a home visit. But of course, home visit pitches are HUGE influences if properly applied...they're like bit influence multipliers.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby ZorbaGarp » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 pm

CoachC wrote:one thing i don't think is intuitive to new players is that pitches don't mean squat until home visits. when you call a recruit and ask them about pitches...you are only asking about what matters to them, you aren't trying to sell them on anything....and you want to know ALL that info about your top recruits before your home visits....that's the only time the pitches matter...by then you know what they care about , and you know what you can offer them that your opponent recruiters can't.

I'm not a new player and I never figured this one out! Thanks for the heads up! Is there any value at all to continue to call players if you know how they feel with all the pitch areas?
ZorbaGarp

Postby PointGuard » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:48 pm

ZorbaGarp wrote:
CoachC wrote:one thing i don't think is intuitive to new players is that pitches don't mean squat until home visits. when you call a recruit and ask them about pitches...you are only asking about what matters to them, you aren't trying to sell them on anything....and you want to know ALL that info about your top recruits before your home visits....that's the only time the pitches matter...by then you know what they care about , and you know what you can offer them that your opponent recruiters can't.

I'm not a new player and I never figured this one out! Thanks for the heads up! Is there any value at all to continue to call players if you know how they feel with all the pitch areas?

Sure...can improve their degree of interest if your program by calling sometimes...it might take repeated calls to do so.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

PreviousNext

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion