Heavy Inside Attack Question

Heavy Inside Attack Question

Postby dwhansen777 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:09 am

I run a motion offense with heavy inside attack. With this focus...do the PG/SG tend to attempt more high quality shots vs. balances/outside preferences?

Ie.,"the coach wants us (PG/SG) to get the ball into the PF/C in the low post...therefore I (PG/SG) better be taking quality 3 pointers...or risked being benched?"

Is that "baked into the thinking"...or not? Does 3 point accuracy tend to be higher in this case?
dwhansen777

Re: Heavy Inside Attack Question

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:21 pm

My experience is that I use this when the other team has crap inside defensive players or for whom the scouting report show an outside zone as their primary defense. As the game is designed, your highest SCORING attribute players will take the shots. So if your highest SCORING players are all outside shooters, this not a good idea. Don't expect a kickout pass from big men with low passing/handling ratings either.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby PointGuard » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:57 pm

As a reminder...if you are using "auto switch" in the "Defensive Set" pullldown in the Subs/Strategy page while playing games, the AI will employ an approximation of the mix of offensive sets you have setup as well as approximating the offensive freedom percentage you've opted for when the other team is using a man-to-man defense against your team. When the other team uses a zone defense against your team, then the AI will use the proper zone attack offense or no set offensive set for your team.

I'm not sure how to achieve the goal you have re your offense...probably best just to experiment a bit.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby dwhansen777 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:22 am

Sorry for the confusion...I'll try again.

In ANY situation...if an offensive has a "heavy inside focus" ( get more shots taken in the post area)...do the perimeter players (PG/SG)...who will now be taking less shots than normal...when they DO TAKE A SHOT...will it tend to be a better quality shot opportunity...ie. more selective...or not?

In that situation...could one expect the 3P% to be higher...or not?

TXS
dwhansen777

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:15 pm

That's a great question, dw. When DDS:CB2019 rolls out I just might try an experimental association where I chart that, unless you decide to do it first. It definitely interests me.
Wayne23

Postby C-Bailey24 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:38 pm

dwhansen777 wrote:Sorry for the confusion...I'll try again.

In ANY situation...if an offensive has a "heavy inside focus" ( get more shots taken in the post area)...do the perimeter players (PG/SG)...who will now be taking less shots than normal...when they DO TAKE A SHOT...will it tend to be a better quality shot opportunity...ie. more selective...or not?

In that situation...could one expect the 3P% to be higher...or not?

TXS

Kinda sorta. Since i've been unhappy with the ugly perimeter shooting percentages for a couple of versions now, i've been constantly trying little things to get some efficiency. What i've been doing is running about 80-100% Offensive freedom which goes against how most of us would like to play the game. The reason i do this is because what i have noticed about the the offensive sets are the way they've been programmed is that the guards and small forwards spent a LOT of time positioned behind the three point arc which in turn makes them shoot a LOT of their shots from that range no matter what their Shot Preferences say. So when given more "freedom" of movement and not being restricted and setting the focus to Heavy Inside there will be less three point shots attempted which in turn does up the percentage.. SOMEWHAT. You also need a big man or two who favors shooting from inside and has a good scoring rating.

Something that would help with recruiting to these Offensive Sets that are in the game would be MORE and HIGHLY accurate information on how the recruit likes to play. As it is now the little information you get can be highly inaccurate which doesn't quite make sense to me. If a coach, scout, or recruiter goes and watches a player play a couple of times they can get a pretty accurate idea of if they like to shoot threes, drive a lot, shoot inside etc. You don't have to have a high scouting eye (rating) to see that Ben Simmons likes to shoot as close to the basket as possible and avoids three pointers. Too many times in this game the play style info is inaccurate. Coach tells me on the recruit card the Center or Power Forward im recruiting "doesn't shoot many jumpers" then he get's to my team and his Shot Preference is 65% Jumpers and 35% Post. Everything in the game shouldn't be subject to "fog of war". Just my opinion.
C-Bailey24

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:13 pm

I agree. A good high school scout, which means an assistant coach, can figure out a middle school kid's preferences and style pretty quickly, and be 99% correct about it.
Wayne23

Postby PointGuard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:57 am

Submitted your question and comments to Gary for him to think about for CB2019.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion