What's your philosophy?

What's your philosophy?

Postby DaveDurden1989 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi guys,

I've made a post here recently asking about trying to run a Tarkanian like system, but I see how difficult that is.

As a new player, I was looking for a system to try and establish. What sets and usage do you have set? Defense? What does your practice time look like? What attributes are you looking for in recruits?

I'd love some sort of template that I can plug in to at least get started, and then make changes from there. I'd love to get really involved and start writing in the dynasty forum!

I'm just looking for all help possible! Please drop me a comment or a PM, and I look forward to hearing from you and updating you on what happens!

Thanks all!

- Dave
DaveDurden1989

Re: What's your philosophy?

Postby PointGuard » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Rather than follow what others do, I'd suggest you decide what YOU want to do. Where are your teams strengths and weaknesses (inside scoring vs outside scoring, ball handling/passing, defense, etc)? Also do a lot of your players already have high proficiency for some specific strategies? Then after reviewing the descriptions provided in the Strategies section about various offenses and defenses, choose ones (2 or 3 offenses and man-to-man plus one zone defense and one full court press) that would seem to work best for your team. It's sort of a guess, so you might hit it right on target or you might be off a bit...no big deal.

Then practice the OFFENSES and DEFENSES you are going to employ so that your players' proficiencies increase for the strategies you are using.

I generally allot about 40-45% of my practice time to the offenses I will employ, 15% for the 3 zone attack offenses, 30-35% for the defenses I will use, and 10% for the full court defense I will use. But if my team's defense sucks, I might shift some offensive practice time to defense (and vice-versa).

For example if I'm using Shuffle 75% of the time and Princeton 25% of the time I might allot 30% of my practice time to Shuffle and 10% to Princeton and allot 5% to each of the 3 zone attack offenses (but if I'm going to play a team that uses a 1-3-1 defense a week after the week I'm presently in, I'll shift all 15% of the zone attack offense allotment to the 1-3-1 zone attack offense for that week and then shift back. And if I'm using M-2-M 60% of the time and a 1-2-2 zone 40% of the time I might 20% of my practice time to M-2-M and 15% to 1-2-2 zone. And then I'll use the final 10% of the time the full court press I'm using.

What attributes in recruits? Generally I like strong rebounding and defense as well as scoring capability. Also nice if a guy doesn't cause problems, is a leader, is a hard worker, isn't injury prone, etc.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 pm

I agree with PointGuard that you should follow, or develop and then follow your own philosophy. I go with Princeton and Triangle on O but hope to experiment with others when 2019 comes out in the spring. I spend 20% of my practice time on Prin., 15% on Tri. 5% on each of the 3 zone attacks. On D I vary it. I usually go with 50-75% man, and when it's 50% I go with 25% 2-3, 25% 3-2. When 75% man it's 25% 3-2. As to % of practice time, either 20, 10, 10 or 30-10. I go with 10% on presses, usually full court man. So yes, I spend 50% of my practice on O, 50% on D.

As to what I look for in recruits: 1) Good defender. I will not look at a guy who is rated D or F. Then with guards it's ball handling. With big guys it's rebounding. I barely look at their scoring and shooting ratings, and I don;t look at all at anything else. And yes, I absolutely practice what I run and nothing else. I don;t adjust for my opponent. Let them adjust to my game.

All of this has worked very well for me over the years. I go with a 7 or 8 man rotation, occasionally, a 6 man, and rarely more than 8. I adjust the rotation based on stats, looking at the "per 40 minute" column.

Again, I expect to experiment with other offenses when 2019 drops.

If I have a real stinker of a player I'll cut him. It's worth the hit to Team Prestige if it's only one guy. RARELY I'll cut 2 guys, but only rarely.

Unless I'm with a good team (Say TP of 70 or more) I want cupcakes in my pre-conference schedule. Wins help with recruiting and they build momentum.

That's all I can think of at the moment. And good luck!
Wayne23

Postby DaveDurden1989 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Wayne23 wrote:I agree with PointGuard that you should follow, or develop and then follow your own philosophy. I go with Princeton and Triangle on O but hope to experiment with others when 2019 comes out in the spring. I spend 20% of my practice time on Prin., 15% on Tri. 5% on each of the 3 zone attacks. On D I vary it. I usually go with 50-75% man, and when it's 50% I go with 25% 2-3, 25% 3-2. When 75% man it's 25% 3-2. As to % of practice time, either 20, 10, 10 or 30-10. I go with 10% on presses, usually full court man. So yes, I spend 50% of my practice on O, 50% on D.

As to what I look for in recruits: 1) Good defender. I will not look at a guy who is rated D or F. Then with guards it's ball handling. With big guys it's rebounding. I barely look at their scoring and shooting ratings, and I don;t look at all at anything else. And yes, I absolutely practice what I run and nothing else. I don;t adjust for my opponent. Let them adjust to my game.

All of this has worked very well for me over the years. I go with a 7 or 8 man rotation, occasionally, a 6 man, and rarely more than 8. I adjust the rotation based on stats, looking at the "per 40 minute" column.

Again, I expect to experiment with other offenses when 2019 drops.

If I have a real stinker of a player I'll cut him. It's worth the hit to Team Prestige if it's only one guy. RARELY I'll cut 2 guys, but only rarely.

Unless I'm with a good team (Say TP of 70 or more) I want cupcakes in my pre-conference schedule. Wins help with recruiting and they build momentum.

That's all I can think of at the moment. And good luck!

That was extremely helpful man! I appreciate it! I will be sure to look for you if I have any questions!
DaveDurden1989

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Any time, but Point Guard's advice is usually right on target, as is CoachC's when he's around.
Wayne23

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 General Discussion