2018 Coach File (Used Bloomington's as a base)

2018 Coach File (Used Bloomington's as a base)

Postby vols410 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 pm

First off, all credit for the overall template, win/loss numbers, coach ages, styles, etc. goes to Bloomington. All I have done is created an objective rating system for the head coaches, and created their potential ratings using a similar metric.

Installation: Same process as with Bloomington's 2016 Real Coaches Mod. Copy all lines other than the spot your coach would take into your exported DB coach table, and import back in. You'll also want to download the coach pictures, which are essentially the same as Bloomington's from earlier, but with some new head coaches added (Ewing, Padgett, etc.)

Ratings Structure: All ratings are formed from the past 3 years of data on all current head coaches, as well as performance as assistants for the newer head coaches (but much more lightly weighted.) All ratings are adjusted to fit within a 30-100 scale.

Recruiting:

Uses the 247 recruiting talent composite, which provides a recruiting score for each team. Like every other rating, I've used each coach's recruiting performance at each of his stops over the past three years.

Offense/Defense:
These ratings are constructed using KenPom's OFF/DEF efficiency (adjusted for Strength of Schedule) and are adjusted for the talent/experience on the coach's roster. The goal here is to find out how well a coach performs relative to the talent he's acquired for his team. I ran some regression to find expected data using given talent/experience, and compared this expected value to each coach's actual output.

Scouting/Development:
Both of these use overall efficiency (+/-) ratings from various sources, both also integrating various factors such as experience, lineup continuity, etc.

Tempo:
This rating is also included in the coach table. Now Tony Bennett should be watching grass grow, and Savannah St. should be flying up the court like they've got a train to catch.

Potential Ratings:
These are a function of current ratings and age, with a few random bumps thrown in to keep things interesting.

If you want to see the head coach ratings for yourself before using them, here is a spreadsheet that you can sort by Teams/Conferences/Ratings, so you can see how you like the system:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9iw6zoc0spi6b2p/Final%20Ratings%20Only.xlsx?dl=0

Here is the actual coach table:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5q16d4jvvghig3/2018%20coaches.xlsx?dl=0

And here are the coach_pics zip; just paste the pictures into your graphics/coaches folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/trpzuwxfr61hi9d/coach_pics.zip?dl=0
vols410

Re: 2018 Coach File (Used Bloomington's as a base)

Postby vols410 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Quick note, I replaced the original file with a different one today. Just realized that I didn't include the 4th tourney, so some numbers were off, but it should be good to go now!
vols410

Re: 2018 Coach File (Used Bloomington's as a base)

Postby bloomington » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Thats really great!! I went into my old 2-15-16 mod and took the head coach pics and installed them and noticed some missing but then came to your mod here and saw you completed the missing coaches. Thanks alot for doing that. I also saw the ratings which although can be subjective i suppose, think you did a great job when comparing the coaches. Appreciate the work, time and effort.
bloomington
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 Mods