A Tar Heel in Dystopia

A Tar Heel in Dystopia

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 pm

(Author's note: This dynasty, in a different form, was begun during the testing period for DDS:CB2018. It crashed. I decided to start it over- with a twist.)

I was born 35 years ago, in 2001, right here in Durham, North Carolina. My parents named me Nathan Charles just so they could call me NC, and that’s always been what I answer to. Born in this state, never plan to leave here. My dream is to some day coach at either Duke or UNC, don’t much care which.

I just got hired as head coach at my alma mater, NC Central. It was a long journey, from high school assistant to high school head coach, to five years as an assistant here. It’s a small school, not highly thought of in the hoops world, but it’s my school, and I hope to improve the quality of the hoops played here. We’re in the mid-Eastern Athletic conference, which isn’t highly thought of either.

I’m big on grades and discipline, I’m ambitious, and I will NOT cheat, even if I’m lucky enough to get to one of those big schools where it might help. I want to be a role model for my athletes.

I talk with a deep North Carolina drawl, but I don’t aim to try to reproduce it in this journal.

How long will I stay here? Until a higher rated school in North Carolina offers me their head coaching job.

My next journal entry will tell you about the tough times I live in.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: A Tar Heel in Dystopia

Postby Wayne23 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 pm

We live in tough times. We’ve had a succession of right wing, dictatorial, religious fanatic Presidents, starting from when the POTUS in 2019 was forced to resign. The Congresses since then have been a perfect match for the Presidents, and we live in what can only be called a theocracy. There really is very little freedom here.

I’ll tell about all of that as we move along, but just as a start, no one can move from their community to another one without government approval.

Our world is terribly polluted, and the life span has dropped from close to 80 years, to just about 60. But no one is allowed to discuss, or even admit that the pollution exists. We have cities that go underwater, and they are never mentioned again. It's like they never existed.

Health care is for the wealthy and the privileged only.

Everyone in the U.S. is required to attend a two hour church service every Sunday, and a 90 minute service during the week- they’re held every weeknight in every city and in most towns, so finding one isn’t difficult.

Other religions, except for Islam, are allowed, but if you belong to one of them you still need to attend the two Christian services I mentioned above. And the list of approved Christian denominations tells you what your choices are. If you happen to be sick, or happen to have any other reason for skipping a service, you need to get approval from the Marshal in your area. There are pretty harsh penalties for anyone who is denied approval.

Just for the record, this journal is being written on flash paper. I can turn it to ashes in mere moments, which I would do if I were caught keeping it. I plan to be honest. That would get me placed in an Infidel Re-education Facility (read: “concentration camp”) if the journal was found. People don’t usually ever leave those facilities.

Professional sports are outlawed, so all of my players, even when I get up to a major university, will stay four years.

We’ve been at war since 2021- real war, not the little skirmishes we were always involved in. We’re battling the Russians, the Chinese, and the League of Arab
Nations in a very complicated scenario where countries change sides from time to time for no apparent reason. The only good news about that is that no nukes have ever been used in the war.

All right. That gives you an idea. More later.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:36 am

5/1: Our recruiting class ranked #345 of 352. Not good! My predecessor here was NOT a recruiter. He wasn't much of a coach, either.

Settling in. We buy the national basic report. “We” means my staff and I. The staff is made up of three high school coaches I hired this week. We can’t afford top notch assistants, and I’m not making a whole lot of money either.

We’ll run the Princeton and Triangle offenses, play all zone on D, 2-3 for 1/2 the time, and 3-2 for the other 1/2. We won’t press much, but when we need to, we’ll go 2-2-1.

The team I got back looks decent for our conference. We hope to be competitive, but the only goal my GM, Hoss Wrightcart set for me was not to finish last in conf. I plan to have Hoss schedule all cupcakes pre-conf.

6/26: 4 scholarships to fill.

8/21: We offer to 2 PGs, a PF, and a C.

9/18: Weak non-conf. schedule.

9/25: Got a PG, #370.

10/2: Not getting many recruits. Maybe we’ll do better in the spring.

1st day of practice. We’re picked to finish 1st in the MEAC. I think we have a good team, for this level. Not sure about 1st though. Hope so!

11/6: The only lineup position that’s sort of set is PG. 11 man rotation. The guys who earn PT will get it:

Senior Kip Holm seems solid at PG. Junior Fran Arsi starts at SG, subs at PG. 3 guys sub at SG, junior Ken Pers, and sophs Dom Evan and Mike Tras.

Soph Tony Dumc starts at SF with junior Mike Jaes getting time there.

Junior Carl Leli starts at PF. Senior Jam Meex subs there.

Junior Joey Brad starts at C, subs at PF. Soph Brad Evly is battling for the starting C spot.

We’ll see what happens!

Everyone in the entire country lives in a hotel room, a converted apartment, or a converted condo unit. If you live alone, and unless you’re married you WILL live alone, you get a hotel room with a bath. If you live with a spouse you get the same. If you live with a spouse and kids you get a small apartment. All the private homes, except for those where church or government officials live, are vacant, or have been turned into some sort of business or storage facility, or school.

For most people meals take place in the hotel or apartment house dining room. Those in condo complexes go to the dining hall nearest their unit. Meals are simple, and not very good.

There is usually a hotel in every good sized town, and one or two in every city. People simply don’t travel very much. Sports teams do, and church choirs, and preachers and church and government officials. That’s about it. So very few hotels are needed.

We travel by bus, rail, and subway (in the cities that have subways). Only the same wealthy groups I mentioned above fly. No one owns cars or other motor vehicles. There are limos and drivers to care for the elite.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 pm

11/20: 1-1 start. PG Kip Holm looks good.

Our only recruit signed. We need to grab more of them.

12/4: 3-3. Winning at home, losing on the road. Holm continues to play well. Brad Evly will now start at PF, and Ken Pers will get all of the sub minutes at guard, and some of Fran Arsi’s minutes, too.

12/11: We won our two road games, the first we win, at least partly due to the play of Brad Evly. So, of course, Evly strained a knee.
Out for 2 weeks.

12/25: We end pre-conf. play at 7-4. I’ll take it. Evly will be back for our next game, which isn’t until 1/4. +3.2 PPG, +3.2 RBs, +0.5 TOs. Pers will now start for Arsi.

We live in a lock step society. We all wear the same type of clothes. It reminds me of the days when Mao Zedong was the dictator in China. Our uniforms don’t look like theirs, but they are just as drab, and there’s no variety at all. They are comfortable, and they are designed to be warm enough in cold weather and cool enough in warm, but they define drab. On the basketball court the home team wears off white, the visitors wear dark grey. Same in all the other sports. Our world is colorless.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:39 pm

1/15/2037: 10-5, 3-1. Good start to MEAC play! 7 guys averaging between 13.7 and 7.3. Balanced scoring. PG Kip Holm is our go to guy.

1/29: 12-7, 5-3. RPI #110. +2.3 PPG, +4.2 RBs, -0.8 TOs. In a 5 way tie for 2nd place.

2/12: 15-8, 8-4, RPI #96. In a 3 way tie for 2nd in the MEAC with 4 to play, but 3 are on the road, all against teams with winning records.

2/26: We end the regular season at 16-11, 9-7, RPI #117. Tied for 4th in the MEAC. +1.1 PPG, +4.8 RBs, -0.8 TOs.

Church. I couldn’t hate it more. I have to go, and I have to sing when they sing, shout “Halleluliah!” when they shout “Halleluliah!” Jump around, scream, and shout when they jump around, scream, and shout. I have to pretend I’m totally into it. It’s idiotic and insane. But at least one, maybe two of my assistants are “true believers,” and several of my players are. It’s two hours of horror on Sunday- and if the preacher goes over time there’s nothing that can be done about that; and they regularly do go over time. Then it’s an hour or more again during the week. Being in a “leadership position” I am scrutinized very closely. Of course, I do NOT say the prayers I am supposed to say at home, but the Bible and the other required “holy books” and pamphlets are by my bedside, and they go in my suitcase when I travel. I pretend to read them on the train or bus, but that time is spent thinking about hoops, or just day dreaming.

And, of course, any books worth reading are banned; the same holds true for TV shows, movies, music- all forms of “entertainment.” I try to spend as much time at the office, or just alone in my room, as possible. While computer use is closely monitored, I just lose myself in work. My basketball related computer stuff is all approved. So basically, I spend as many waking hours working as possible. They like it if you have holy music playing in the background. I do, but it is on the lowest setting possible. There are some music CDs that are quieter, and more melodic. Those are the ones I play.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:40 pm

3/1: We play #12 seed Norfolk ST, 11-17, 6-10, an upset winner in the play in round. We won by only 4 there. Figures to be a close game.

3/2: 76-73, but we led by as many as 18. The final score was as close as they got in the 2nd half. 22, 11 for C Joey Brad, 20, 8 for PF Brad Evly. +8 RBs. Too many TOs, 17, but they had 21.

#1 seed Hampton, 22-6, 14-2, in the semifinals. They beat us by 13 at our place. We feel like we have a shot if we play well.

3/3: 75-88. 32-50 at the half. They just beat us up. My guys tried, but they were over matched. All 5 starters had 10 or more but we couldn’t stop their attack effectively in the 1st half. +11 RBs, but 18 TOs (-8).

Hoping we get invited somewhere but it’s probably unlikely given our low rated conference.

17-12, 9-7, RPI #114.

3/12: Going to the WOL! #3 seed in the East. We play #6 Arkansas. Yikes! We’re the better seed, but they’ve played a MUCH tougher schedule. We’ll give it our best shot.

3/13: 68-65. Back and forth all the way. They had us by 10 early, but in the second half it was close all the way. We had the last possession. I called a time out and set up a play for our C, Joey Brad. It didn’t happen, and SG Ken Pers wound up with the ball, 20 feet from the hoop, with time running out. He launched a three and it went in. He had 16, 4-9 on threes. Brad had 18, 8. I’m thrilled to win my first post season game as a head coach!

#2 seed Texas Tech, 17-14, in round 2. We need to play at our best.

3/15: 65-81. They were the better team. We were +14 on the boards but they pressured us and forced 25 TOs. That was the difference. Great first season!

4/3: #1 Louisville is the champ.

4/4: Awards: Senior PG Kip Holm made the MEAC 1st team. Junior C Joey Brad made 2nd team.

4/9: Not sure I impressed anyone enough to want to hire me. Tenn-Martin called, but they’re not in North Carolina.

4/23: I ask for money. Got $7000!

18-13, 9-7.

I guess I should talk about gays, lesbians, transsexuals, and everyone else who is not… “normal” is the wrong word. None of them are allowed to exist. If they are caught they have two choices, conversion therapy or death. At first, most “other” people were known- from the internet, especially social media. They all got their choice. Now, they are pretty well hidden. Someone gets found out occasionally, but not that often. Their community must be very well guarded, and very careful. One of the many things that is so ridiculous, so unnecessary, and so sad, about the times we live in.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:44 pm

5/1: #31 recruiting class. Excellent!

6/5: We see a transfer we like, and he seems to like us.

6/12: No.

6/26: 6 scholarships.

8/21: We offer to 2 PGs, 4 PFs.

9/18: Got a PF, #308.

9/25: Got another PF, #237. We have exactly zero guards interested. Widening the search.

10/2: Got a third PF, #494.

1st day of practice. We’re picked to win the MEAC.

11/6: 8 man rotation:

Frosh Trav Rich is at PG. Senior Fran Arsi starts at SG, subs at PG. Senior Ken Pers subs at SG, and is making a bid to start there.

Junior Tony Dumc starts at SF, with senior Mike Jaes getting equal time.

Senior Carl Leli starts at PF, subs at C. Senior Joey Brad gets equal time at PF.

Junior Brad Evly is at C.

I said earlier that Islam is the only religion that is outlawed. Those caught practicing it are given the death penalty. But there are other religions that are allowed but frowned upon. The Roman Catholics, the Mormons, the Christian Scientists, the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and several other churches are allowed, but they are not encouraged, and their members are watched closely. Occasionally some of them, especially clergy members, simply disappear. Oh, and members of those sects, and some others I didn’t name, must attend approved church services as well as their own.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:36 pm

11/20: 2-0 start. We look solid inside, but our ball handling is awful.

All 3 recruits sign.

12/4: 6-0. Great start! We’re playing weak teams, but then we’re from a weak conf. We just played the 1st of 7 straight road games.

12/18: 8-2. Considering how many road games we’ve played, I’ll take it. Still too many TOs, 15.4 per game.

1/1/2038: 9-2 going to MEAC play; RPI #101. +6.1 PPG, +7.3 RBs, +1.0 TOs (still 15.1 though). Brad Evly leads us with 12.4, 8.0.

Those of us in college athletics are very fortunate. Our housing and clothing are the same as everyone else’s but our food is much better. The rulers understand that athletes must have a good diet in order to perform well, so college athletes and those of us who work with them have our own training table.

The rest of the folks eat oatmeal every morning, with raisins when they’re lucky. For lunch it’s sandwiches, usually peanut butter, tuna, or something like that. For dinner it’s a stew with whatever vegetables and roots are available, and with chicken or fish. Once a week they get red meat in the stew. They get bread with it, and usually rice pudding or something like that. They can drink coffee, milk, or water, at all three meals. Crackers- just plain crackers, are provided for an evening snack.

We get eggs, cereal, and usually bacon or sausage for breakfast, with toast, juice, milk, and coffee. For lunch it’s a stew something like I just described, but with more meat or fish in it, and with a better quality of bread, usually whole wheat. For dinner it’s chicken, fish, lamb, or beef, with potatoes and two vegetables. We get the same pudding for dessert as the rest of the people get. Our evening snack is usually popcorn. And for all meals, as well as the snack, it’s pretty much “all you can eat.” Just don’t waste any food. Fair? No, not at all. And I don’t like that. But there’s nothing I can do about it.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 pm

1/15: 12-3, 3-1. RPI #72. Our starters average between 12.4 and 10.0. Very balanced attack.

1/29: 14-5, 5-3. RPI #. 6 teams, including us tied for 1st. 3 more are one game back. +5.2 PPG, +7.2 RBs, -0.5 TOs.

2/12: 17-6, 8-4, RPI #55. Alone in 2nd, 1 back of Coppin ST. They are here for the regular season finale.

2/23: Coppin St is here this evening. We’re tied for 1st, 3 up on third, so this one is for the regular season title.

85-64. We expected a closer game, but we played great D, and we set up and took good shots. 21, 12 for C Brad Evly, 17, 7 for PF Joey Brad. We win the conf.!

2/26: 21-6, 12-4, RPI #41, to end the regular season. +5.3 PPG, +7.5 RBs, -0.6 TOs. 6 players getting 9 or more PPG.

The war is weird. Young men and women sign up or get drafted. They train then go off to parts unknown to fight who knows who. When they come back no power on earth will get them to say anything at all about where they were or who they fought. They will tell you it was hell. They will tell you they saw lots of death and lots of wounded. They may have been wounded themselves. But they will give no specifics; won’t even say who the enemy was.

Whatever and whoever slapped this lid of secrecy on, there seems to be no way out of it.

As a result no one in the U. S. knows anything other than what we see, hear, and read in the state run media. Right now China is our ally, and Russia and the League of Arab Nations are the enemy. The countries of Europe, Africa, South America, and much of Asia, as well as Australia and New Zealand, seem to go back and forth. Right now Africa is almost completely on the other side, while Europe is mostly on ours, with Aust. And NZ. Asia is split about 50-50.

But everyday there’s a story about a country or a block of countries that have switched sides. And the fighting never seems to take place in this country.
With modern aircraft, naval vessels, and missiles, that seems ridiculously unlikely. There are so many unanswered questions.
Wayne23

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 am

3/1: We play #9 seed Norfolk ST, 13-15, 7-9, in the 1/4 finals. Their PG has a sore shoulder but I’m guessing he’ll play. They won by 3 there.

3/2: 91-83. We led most of the way. 26 for PG Trav Rich, 18, 8 for PF Joey Brad. #4 seed Savannah ST, 14-14, 9-7, in the semis. They won by 6 there. I think we’re better but we need to play well.

3/3: 74-78. We spent the night playing catch up after a slow start, and we never quite got there. 14, 12 for C Brad Evly14, 8, 6 for SG Fran Arsi.

22-7, 12-4, RPI #50. We’ll go somewhere.

3/12: NIT, #2 West. We play #7 Marquette, 16-16. It won’t be easy, they’ve played a much stronger schedule.

3/14: 69-85. Not pretty. 15, 11 for Brad, 17 for #3 guard Ken Pers.

4/3: #2 Purdue won it all.

4/4: Awards: Trav Rich is MEAC Frosh OY. Brad Evly made the 1st team. Tony Dumc made the 2nd.

Move? If an NC school offers, yes I will!

4/9: Lots of calls, but none from in state. I’m staying.

4/23: I ask for a facilities upgrade. Got it! C- to C+.

Good season!

22-8, 12-4. Overall, 40-21, .656.

From time to time a college athlete will leave his team to sign up for the military. These kids are protected from the draft until they graduate, or until the end of the year when their playing eligibility expires, but the propaganda from the war machine is beyond intense. Being kids, some fall for it.
Wayne23

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2018 Dynasty Reports