Issue with Course Designer

Issue with Course Designer

Postby psd1213 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:46 pm

The course designer runs VERY slow. there is a delay of about 7 seconds no matter what I am doing. Placing the tee box, placing an object, placing grass, etc. Every time the same delay. Is this normal? I have the latest video nvidia drivers and all other drivers up to date.. I am running an Alienware laptop. I7-6700 processor, 16 Gb ram, win 10, nvidia GTX 970m video. 2.6 ghz processor. Made sure that game is utilizing nvidia not onboard video as I have the Optimus system. Any ideas or is this normal? I wouldnt think so.
Last edited by psd1213 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psd1213

Re: Question about course designer

Postby themonk » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:20 am

Hmmm... That's not normal. I have an old 5-year-old, Windows 8.1 based HP laptop. Haven't experienced any time lag using the course designer. Except when I didn't HIDE the SET HOLE BASE while placing textures or hazards. That could really slow down your computer. After you set your hole base, you have to hide it.

Here's how Gary explained it during the beta test:

Gary Gorski wrote:Have you tried the option of clicking the checkbox to turn off the hole background? I think one issue causing the slowness is that the textures in order to not be squares have transparent backgrounds so its constantly redrawing the transparency with the background image but if you turn it off then it should show much faster

Also:

Gary Gorski wrote:In fact I'm going to update the tutorial and the course designer to default to having the background image off - then you can turn it on if you want to see what it looks like with the bg you chose and back off again to work more quickly
themonk

Postby psd1213 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:20 am

That box was already checked, so that wasn't the issue. Checked or unchecked, same lag. Really makes the editor not so much fun to use.

While the laptop is certainly not top of the line and current, it is still strong enough to get through this game without issue. I have no idea whats causing it. Turned my Kaspersky off, as well as Malwarebytes. Didnt make any difference. Gary, any ideas?? I have zero issues with ANY other games.

Edit: I changed the thread title as it is an issue and not really a question.
Last edited by psd1213 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psd1213

Postby gbmoore » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm having the same issue.
gbmoore

Re: Issue with Course Designer

Postby fredreed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 am

If your having any issues with this game at all I would make sure that the firewall is turned off as well. Also there are lots of people having problems with playing games under windows 10. You need to make sure that both antivirus and your firewall programs are turned off. I mean both windows firewall and the standalone firewall programs disable them both. Most of the steam games using avast antivirus are giving out false reports that they are a virus as well just ignore the messages.
fredreed

Postby psd1213 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:56 am

fredreed wrote:If your having any issues with this game at all I would make sure that the firewall is turned off as well. Also there are lots of people having problems with playing games under windows 10. You need to make sure that both antivirus and your firewall programs are turned off. I mean both windows firewall and the standalone firewall programs disable them both. Most of the steam games using avast antivirus are giving out false reports that they are a virus as well just ignore the messages.

If you read my second post you will clearly read where i stated I had no other problems with ANY games using windows 10. I also very clearly stated I used Kaspersky AV, so I do not know why you mention Avast, as it doesn't apply to my case.

I understand Gary has a lot on his plate now I'm sure, but the lack of response to this or any other threads by him lately has me concerned. He has been here, but has not responded. I would have thought at the very least he would have acknowledged the issue and would look into it, even if he has no answers now.
psd1213

Postby fredreed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 am

I was just saying that windows 10 can have issues with certain games not all. But one major issue is performance under windows 10. I am actually thinking about switching over to linux mint because of all the major bugs that windows 10 still has and that windows new builds have more and more of them. With your issue I would look at how your performance is set up. There are different levels of them in windows 10.
fredreed

Postby psd1213 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:35 am

fredreed wrote:I was just saying that windows 10 can have issues with certain games not all. But one major issue is performance under windows 10. I am actually thinking about switching over to linux mint because of all the major bugs that windows 10 still has and that windows new builds have more and more of them. With your issue I would look at how your performance is set up. There are different levels of them in windows 10.

So the fact I have issues with ONE section of a game and no issues with the 1,000 or so other steam games I own means I should look at how my performance is set up? I am fully aware of issues with Win 10 and gaming, which is why I specifically mentioned that I have no other issues with anything else. If there was an issue with my setup, it would show up in other games. The fact it only affects one would lead me to believe the issue is within the game, not my system. Maybe the game just doesn't like the latest Nvidia drivers. Maybe after the next update it runs fine. We shall see. But I am not about to start changing everything else just to eliminate a few seconds lag in ONE instance.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound unappreciative or combative. If you are just going to offer generic help for everyone, fine. Just identify it as such. You specifically said " If your having issues" (By the way. It's "you're" in this instance, not your. English is not first language for me wither. Easiest way is to change "you're" to "you are" and see if sentence makes sense. That's how I taught myself. "You're computer might be the issue" "You are computer might be the issue". Makes no sense. So "your", which signifies ownership, is the proper usage. ""Your going to have issues with that driver". You are going to have issues. Makes sense see? Not trying to be "that guy" and correct. Just helping out}.
psd1213

Postby fredreed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:24 pm

It's not going to be easy for Gary for optimize the performance because not all computers have the same hardware setup. It could take months for him to get the performance optimized. It will likely require a lot of coding to do this properly and even then there's no guarantee it would work. Lagging is an issue that most games have and not all PCs are put together the same way. They all have different hardware inside of them. Plus they probably use different type of graphic like dedicated or integrated.
fredreed

Postby Zorro » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 pm

psd1213 wrote:
fredreed wrote:I was just saying that windows 10 can have issues with certain games not all. But one major issue is performance under windows 10. I am actually thinking about switching over to linux mint because of all the major bugs that windows 10 still has and that windows new builds have more and more of them. With your issue I would look at how your performance is set up. There are different levels of them in windows 10.

So the fact I have issues with ONE section of a game and no issues with the 1,000 or so other steam games I own means I should look at how my performance is set up? I am fully aware of issues with Win 10 and gaming, which is why I specifically mentioned that I have no other issues with anything else. If there was an issue with my setup, it would show up in other games. The fact it only affects one would lead me to believe the issue is within the game, not my system. Maybe the game just doesn't like the latest Nvidia drivers. Maybe after the next update it runs fine. We shall see. But I am not about to start changing everything else just to eliminate a few seconds lag in ONE instance.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound unappreciative or combative. If you are just going to offer generic help for everyone, fine. Just identify it as such. You specifically said " If your having issues" (By the way. It's "you're" in this instance, not your. English is not first language for me wither. Easiest way is to change "you're" to "you are" and see if sentence makes sense. That's how I taught myself. "You're computer might be the issue" "You are computer might be the issue". Makes no sense. So "your", which signifies ownership, is the proper usage. ""Your going to have issues with that driver". You are going to have issues. Makes sense see? Not trying to be "that guy" and correct. Just helping out}.
There is never any reason to be rude to someone who was just trying to help. Sounds like he was just trying to help you...........................Z
Zorro
Elite Member

Next

Return to Draft Day Sports: Pro Golf General Discussion