Course Development Process

Course Development Process

Postby PointGuard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:01 pm

When I first agreed to be a member of the beta-test group for DDSPG, I figured it was just going to be testing the "game". That definitely has been a lengthy process with many builds and re-builds by Gary to fix and tweak and add things with each new build.

But what I was NOT expecting was the testing of the courses Gary has developed and continues to develop. During this process, a discussion of pricing came up and as a confirmed cheapskate, I was one who was very concerned about course pricing. But now that I've been involved with the testing of the courses, I now understand the development of Gary's courses isn't just one of creating beautiful courses (which he definitely has done and is doing), but a very extensive process for him of fixing, cleaning up, and tweaking things as we discover how individual holes and the entire course actually plays and the scores it produces. That means Gary looking at a lot of feedback from the testers (and after the course is released, from the entire player community) and then his trying to figure out how to "fix" problems (i.e., too many holes-in-one on a par 3, too many shots into the water, too low or high of scores on a specific hole or the entire course, ball location fora given point near just off the hole but the game treating that as a putting rather than a chipping situation, tee shots that go too far awry on a hole, how realistic approach shot placement is, what different weather conditions do to shots and scoring, how the course and individual holes play for players using one-click and tri-click methods for their golfers as well as compared to AI-controlled golfers, etc, etc, etc).

I have no idea how Gary "fixes" problems, but he does continually adjust and re-adjust the courses until they are ready for release. It's got to be a time-consuming and difficult process, but he gets it done and is committed to creating realistic courses, play, and scores.

Now that I've had a glimpse of the testing and tweaking process, I more fully understand that it's not just a case of "creating a course" and putting them up for sale and can now more fully understand why the cost is what it is for the courses.

Just thought I'd put this out there since there are probably others, who like me, would otherwise feel that development of the nice courses is a rather simple and quick process and that courses should be pumped out quickly and the cost be lower than it is.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Re: Course Development Process

Postby Zorro » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Not only that my Friend but sometimes we come up with different opinions or facts and he has to decipher which ones need to be tweaked. So he tweaks and retweaks. That is something the forum does not see. So there is a hell of a lot of work I never knew existed before I joined the team. That would drive me absolutely crazy. So at the risk of being called a fanboy I have to say “Hats off to you Gary.” He does try to make the game the best it can be at a reasonable price...............Z
Zorro
Elite Member

Postby themonk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:17 am

Well said, PG and Zorro. I'm glad, too, that I'm part of the beta-test team. It made me appreciate the kind of effort that Gary is making, so that we can have a game to play with and enjoy. With Zorro, I say, too: "Hats off to you, Gary..."
themonk

Postby Big Dummie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:28 am

I am an Original 6 hockey guy, so lets make it a hat trick for Gary, hats off! I looked at the course designer one time, no thanks, way to time consuming for this geezer. Thanks.
Big Dummie

Return to Draft Day Sports: Pro Golf General Discussion