3 Point Shooting Bigs Discussion

3 Point Shooting Bigs Discussion

Postby Tim Moungey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:23 pm

So I know this has come up with a few people as to if it's a big or not.

Digging into my own leagues, here's what I'm finding:

High 3 point shooting for bigs is directly tied to Above the Break (ATB). It seems approximately 15-20% ATB is where the effect becomes noticeable, but the overall 3P to FGA percentages are more or less in line with the ATB rating. The NBA mod that most of us are using has high ATB ratings for bigs. Below that 15% threshold, the 3P attempts are relatively minimal - even at 8-12%.

So it doesn't appear to be an issue or bug with the game itself - it's how the players are rated in the mod file. Note: I haven't done a long-term study with created players to see if the player creation needs to be tweaked, but it's clearly an issue of ratings and isn't as pronounced as the everything above 1% ATB results in crazy numbers either - it's a much wider scope than that.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Re: 3 Point Shooting Bigs Discussion

Postby Tim Moungey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:41 pm

One curious thing someone else pointed out (He wanted to look at Nikola Vucevic as a case study): He shot 32% of his shots from behind the 3 point line, which is in line with the variance of his 28% ATB rating (12% catch and shoot), yet 30% of his 3 point attempts (approximately 130) came from the corners, where he has a 0% shot pref rating.

The question then becomes - what's the interrelationship between shot preferences, action ratings, and offensive systems (I'm thinking the last is playing a bigger role than we realize). This is definitely the most complex version of DDS ever, and even long-time series veterans are having trouble breaking this one down.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby C-Bailey24 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:40 am

Good points. I was surprised to see DeAndre Ayton have an ATB percentage of 50. I thought he was more of a traditional big. Could be just an assumption.

Tim Moungey wrote:The question then becomes - what's the interrelationship between shot preferences, action ratings, and offensive systems (I'm thinking the last is playing a bigger role than we realize). This is definitely the most complex version of DDS ever, and even long-time series veterans are having trouble breaking this one down.

I get the feeling that the last part of that sentence is just how Gary intends it to be lol
C-Bailey24

Postby Rizzo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Any update on the shooting numbers not matching the corner percentages?
Rizzo

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2019 General Discussion