Can you Edit the DB File for 16 Fictional Teams?

Can you Edit the DB File for 16 Fictional Teams?

Postby BKL » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Is there are way to edit the DB file so that you can have a 16 team league but with different fictional teams than the default? For example, I would like the Brooklyn Hoops instead of Atlanta Eagles. I change the 16-team default.dat file but it keeps going to the original 16 teams. I know I can edit all the various team manually once the game is started, but I just was wondering if I could easily cut and past all the information in the default.dat file instead so it just provides all the fictional teams I would like. It doesn't seem to allow this, unless I am doing something wrong. Basically, what I do is go into the default.dat file and copy all the Brooklyn information and paste that everywhere for Atlanta. I do the same for the other teams I would like to change. When I go to start a 16-team fictional league, all the original teams are there, not the ones I thought I had updated.

Help, thoughts?

Thanks!
BKL

Re: Can you Edit the DB File for 16 Fictional Teams?

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm

I would say your best bet is to take maybe the NBAmod file that is out there (either to use as an example or to just edit) and edit the teams there and then use the custom option in setting up a league.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby BKL » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:23 pm

Is there a guide somewhere as to how to do this? I only ask because I can set up the teams, but I don't want historical stats, players or coaches. So, if I import a historical file, can I leave coaches and players blank? I tried to do something similar last night and believe I received an error in the process. My thought was that the historic import was looking for more than just teams, but also a players and coach file, which I don't have because its a fictional league starting from scratch. I just want a fictional league, but with different fictional teams than the default and since so many other fictional teams are available I thought it would be simple to customize that somehow with the database.
BKL

Postby Gary Gorski » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:16 pm

OK I think I understand what you're trying to do now - I think right now the only option would be to just edit after the league creates. I never really thought about a scenario where someone would want all fictional stuff but only change which fictional teams are in use. I will see if there is anything I can do to make it easier as well
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby BKL » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 am

I believe I can perhaps do what I want by editing the basicres.dat file, but its PW protected. Is there any way this can be unlocked?
BKL

Postby Gary Gorski » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm

No that file is locked as you found which is why I suggested the only real option being editing it after league creation right now.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Magic Bird » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Is there a reason why the game must load teams setup information from basicres.dat instead of default.dat? It would be useful for modification purposes to have the game load as much league creation data as possible from the default file like in previous versions of DDS:PB. Could a future update to DDS:PB 2019 feature this change? This would satisfy BKL's problem and restore modding abilities that were present in older DDS:PB games that I (and probably many other players) miss.
Magic Bird

Postby Gary Gorski » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:38 am

Let me see what I can do with it
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Magic Bird » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:18 am

Thanks for looking into it Gary.
Magic Bird

Postby BKL » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Yes this would be great. Would save a lot of editing time and make modding of fictional teams easier.
BKL

Return to DDS: Pro Basketball 2019 General Discussion