3 questions about customization/creation of data file(s)

3 questions about customization/creation of data file(s)

Postby philintheup » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Because I've had a great deal of trouble putting this together with regard to an idea I've had for a sort of hybrid custom/historical league, I need to ask a couple of questions about the importing of data for a new league.

1) What is the correct format of the JSON file to create a single-season league?

I've used examples provided in this forum as templates, but continue to get error messages that the files are not properly formatted when I attempt to import them.

2) What is the correct format for the JSON file used to create a historical database?

Similarly, I have tried to modify/edit/use the existing historical database files in this forum, but have gotten similar error messages.

3) Finally, is there are alternative to the JSON format for editing league data (i.e., is there a way to export the files in ".db" format in order to edit the data in Access and re-import it that way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I also apologize for my earlier frustration post (which I have killed off). Thanks in advance.
philintheup

Re: 3 questions about customization/creation of data file(s)

Postby sjm593 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:49 pm

I'll add to this since I'm in a similar boat. Played the PFS games for a few years and just bought DDSPF 20. Basically, I have no familiarity with JSON and have gotten the same error messages trying to convert the historical mod file to CSV. Back on PFS, I had a lot of fun combining all the historical rosters from each year into one big CSV and using a random selection to put them into different draft classes. I would love to do this again if possible.
sjm593

Postby MathieuV » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 am

I have done a lot of editing of the historical .json file. It is a hot mess. There are different players with the same ID, the same players listed up to 4 times, players missing ...etc, etc. Anyhow, it is very easy to make errors.

https://jsonlint.com/ I use this site to fix the errors. Copy and paste the whole .json file into the browser. Yes, it's huge, so it takes a sec. It will give you the first error it encounters. Fix that error and then repeat the process. Eventually you get to the point where it says the file is good, all the errors are fixed.
AAFC - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjF_BCwm4o0ZgvZAL3SBb3KpFFjFhg?e=qnPeLu
Various Teams - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjF_BCwm4o0ZgvkCGLJyhCvrNmVREQ?e=5lUjh2
MathieuV

Postby philintheup » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:11 pm

Mathieu:

This should help immensely! Thank you.
philintheup

Postby brooks_piggott » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:46 pm

For a single season file the easiest way to do it is to create your league with whatever teams, format, etc. you want. Then go into the player search and click on All Players and then Export data. That export file will be in .json format and can be used in the CSV/JSON Converter app to go back and forth between CSV and JSON. Then you can use that JSON either to import back into the game on the player search screen, import draft players, or even create your league again with that json file as the custom import.

The historical roster with multiple starting years, etc. is a much more difficult file as it has different versions of players and their ratings across their careers and uses an import id to make sure it's trying to keep players separate. Editing that file is tough and probably needs it's own program created to work as an editor/import/export tool.
brooks_piggott

Postby philintheup » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 am

Brooks:

Thanks for the info.

One question about a historical database. If I plan only to start in a single specific year and import rookies as they go, would that be the extent of the data needed in the file (i.e., the players to be imported for year one and then the rookies for import in their specific years)? Or is there a more efficient way to achieve that?
philintheup

Postby brooks_piggott » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:50 am

If you're doing one class at a time or one year at a time you should be able to use the player import/export system with the converter and then just import your draft classes into the game at the appropriate time.
brooks_piggott

Postby philintheup » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:04 pm

That makes sense. Is there a working example of a draft class import JSON somewhere on here I could use as a template for that process?
philintheup

Postby philintheup » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 pm

Also could use an exemplar of a single-season import, because I've had some problems with formatting on that before.
philintheup

Postby brooks_piggott » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:35 pm

single season exports can be generated by clicking on the Search menu option, then All Players, then export data. A similar function exists within the draft screens for draft players.
brooks_piggott

Return to DDS: Pro Football 2019-2024 Mods