Before I choose to switch games - couple of questions?

Re: Before I choose to switch games - couple of questions?

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:29 pm

I did play that other game. It isn't nearly as deep and rich as DDS:CB.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby CoachC » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:14 am

kicktothehead99 wrote:Hi there

"I am a heavy player of another College BB game and one thing I really enjoy about it is finding the diamonds in the rough."

:Have no comment about diamonds in the rough, or the football game, but i will tell you that CBB is NOT a diamond in the rough. It has been around since 2005, and each iteration has improved it. If you know of another College BB game...i'm pretty sure you'll forget about it even if you only play the demo of CBB:18.

"In DD CB -
1. Do HS stats offer a projection of what the player "might become"? (I know not all will work out but - are there enough diamonds in the rough to really zone in on HS stats in recruiting and not make it like the football where I just sort by overall rating and click)"

: Of course! Recruiting is a major part of the game. Not only do you get information from the national services, but your own recruiting coach (who is only as good as the guy you put in the position), their performances at huge perfomance camps in the summer, and their HS coaches opinions about their work ethic, leadership ability, and proneness to injury all are involved...at that's just the tip. But it should give you enough to understand, that when you battle for a player from another school while recruiting....there's a lot at stake."

" Does Height matter? I enjoy looking for the big 6-11 center who can be a force from sheer strength"

: yes it does, although subtlely sometimes. It's relative to position. You can have a 6'5 sf rated at B in shot blocking who will block a lot of shots from guards and other sf's but don't look for him to block many shots against the opposing 6-11 center. Weight can matter too, but my best advice I can give, and that I have ever given anyone in this game, is to do what makes sense to you and your coaching philosophy. The game is complex, and yes, height and weight both matter, but you aren't going to find any sort of direct correlation as to how.

"3. Do physical attributes really play into a player developing? (will a good jumping SG be better than a low jumping SG etc)"

: physical attributes with regards to development? not so much. A player that you recruit with a hard work ethic will develop faster than others. The development skills of your staff, especially your practice coach have a part in it. But you have to also consider the attributes you want a player to have... an SG with low jump shot ability, e.g. had better be an A on defense and a great ball-handling combo guard. On the other hand a 6'5 SG with good defense and rebound abilities, can easily play the sg or the sf postion.

"4. Do the defense sets really make a difference in the game or are they "eye candy" - meaning - if you choose a particular defense (say 2-3 zone) because you have average players but all with real good height will that out perform if you chose a man defense but you had slower players etc ..

: I've been playing the franchise since CB1, and you had better believe that defensive sets matter! Some players will set their sets based on their personnel, but I have always based mine on my philosophies...no right or wrong there...as long as you know that it really does matter. Zone defenses , just in real life, stop driving guards and limit touches by post players, but are useless against other teams, especially those with great 3pt shooters. M2M can shut down 1 or 2 key scorers , especially if you use the double-team option judicially, but can lead to more foul trouble. you will get difference responses from veterans to this question, and quite frankly, you'd get different responses from me depending on what team I was trying to build. But the basic answer is...YESS!!! Defensive sets matter, so do offensive sets, and pressure sets. The longer answer is more than what you want to know right now, but yes...IT MATTERS!

"5.I have the 2018 demo and been playing around with it ... the interface has several un-intuitive clicks and screens that actually get annoying that cover other screens and require multiple clicks to get around ... This has been address with 2019 correct? "

I've been a part of the 2019 beta team and played 2018, of course, but not sure exactly what "clicks and screens" you are referring to. I can only promise you that anything that has come up during beta-testing has been brought up to Gary (Wolverine's owner) and that he has listened. I'd have to have more specific information to comment. Screenshots maybe?

"6. Overall as your sim dynasty grows into years do the statistics stay relatively balanced and "in-line" with reality for the most part?"

: If you mean do they adjust to each year as say, the stats in OOTPB...no...What I can tell you is that the current iteration of the DDS:CB franchise does it's best to conform to the current norms, and adjusts itself with each iteration. However, now that the franchise has developed to the point that importing a game from previous iterations into the newest one is easy...then yes, at least some part they react to year to year changes.

Thank you for any replies ... I see the activity here and the game seems to be actively developed and supported and it seems like an interesting game.

welcome, and all I can tell you...buy this game, become a part of this community.....you'll always count it among the best decisions you ever made!
CoachC

Postby VinCal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Are there Mods out for the 19 yet? I can't play the game with fictional schools. I love the realistic logos.
VinCal

Postby Gary Gorski » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 pm

There are AMAZING mods that were ready from day 1 - check out the mods forum at viewforum.php?f=296

The DDS:CB community ALWAYS steps up to the plate with great mods
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby CoachC » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:47 am

kicktothehead99 wrote:
When it comes to sim games - I like to be immersed in the world created (as I am sure most people who play do) - Wolverines games seem to have the fun factor of immersion from what I can tell so far.

Indeed it does...the fact that that there are so many interactive variables for coach's tendencies and preferences that only become clearer by playing the game and role-playing the coach to the hilt, certainly adds to that. There are no attributes in the game that are meaningless, but Gary has wisely kept much of the interactions of those attributes hidden over the years, which encourages the immersive roleplaying aspects of the game. The active and friendly dynasty reports help as well. If you've never done a dynasty report yourself, you should try one, even though it takes a lot of time and effort! The immersion factor will be multiplied 10 fold! Read some of Wayne23 and PointGuard many terrific cb dynasty reports over the years, and you will see what I mean. I had tremendous fun doing the two Tarkanian dynasties I wrote, and had just as much fun being an active participant in one of PG's unique dynasties a couple of years ago where he asked for players to play an active role! The whole thing turned out pretty crazy, and I drove PG nuts a lot of the time...but what a blast!
CoachC

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion