A Few Issues with the Game

A Few Issues with the Game

Postby Magic Bird » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:25 am

I know that the official release of the game is due later today, so it's probably too late for any of the following issues to be resolved by version 1.0. Hopefully some of them may be resolved by update 1.1.

1. During one season I was playing through, I was viewing the "Show Tournaments" screen and selected "Sim Entire Season." Once the game started rolling along through each day, I noticed there was no "Stop Simulation" button available to press while in this view. I wanted to stop simulating games in order to check out some stats, but since I could not do so, I ended up forcibly aborting the program.

*Suggestion: Add a "Stop Simulation" option to the "Show Tournaments" view.

2. In conference tournaments, I've noticed that sometimes the higher seed in a given matchup is not listed as the home team. For instance, in the Patriot League (National League) Tournament, this occurs when at least one of the top two seeds is upset. If the 8 or 9 seed upsets the 1 seed, the 8 or 9 seed will be the home team when playing the winner of the 4 seed versus the 5 seed. The same thing happens when the 7 or 10 seed defeats the 2 seed. 7 or 10 will be designated as the home team when facing the winner of 3 versus 6. Also, in the Patriot League Tournament championship game, if the seed of the team coming out of the top seeded team's half of the bracket is lower than the seed of the team that advanced from the 2nd seeded team's half of the bracket, the lower seeded team will be listed as the home team in the championship game. The game should favor whichever team is the higher seed in a given matchup as the home team.

3. When one petitions the board for a budget increase and the board approves the request, one has to remember what the previous budget was and subtract that figure from the new budget value in order to find out how much the budget has increased. I don't mind doing some simple math, but it's easy to forget what the old budget was.

*Suggestion: Add how much of a budget increase the board has given the program in budget "Request Approved" emails.

4. If one calls a player and asks them to drive more or less, one must also ask them to shoot fewer or more threes, shoot fewer or more jumpers, or post up less or more. This results in the post, jumper and three tendencies not totalling 100%. Only the drive rating should change, not the post, jumper, or three tendency ratings.

*Suggestion: Add "Drive less" to the Playing Style topic discussion menu alongside "Drive more" and the other options. If a user selects either Drive more or Drive less, have the call skip to the "How long should I work on this change?" menu. Remove "Drive less" from the "What area of my game should I expense in working on this?" menu.

*Alternative Suggestion: Add a generic "Shoot more" option to the Playing Style topic discussion menu. If a user selects either "Drive more" or "Shoot more," have the "What area of my game should I expense in working on this?" menu only display the options "Drive less" and "Shoot less." If a user selects one of "Post up more," "Shoot more threes," or "Shoot more jumpers," make sure the "What area of my game should I expense in working on this?" does not display either "Drive less" or "Shoot less."

I am aware that "Shot" in the drive/shot action preferences is calculated as 100 - drive.

5. DDS:CB 2019 changes the directory of saved association files. In previous games, a saves folder existed alongside all the other game files and folders in one central DDS:CB folder. Now the saves folder has been renamed "Leagues" and is stored in a directory under Documents, separate from the game's main files and folders. I personally don't like this change for two reasons. One, I prefer to keep my Documents folder organized and filled with only certain files. I don't like when programs choose to store files and create folders in the Documents section; I don't want those files and folders there. Two, I like keeping as many files and folders as possible that pertain to a specific program (in this case DDS:CB 2019) in one central location. Right now I manually relocate my League save files from Documents to a Leagues folder I've placed in the game's main directory every time I create a new association. I load my associations from the new location successfully. This is a minor personal issue which has negligible impact on my enjoyment of the game.

*Suggestion: Allow users to configure where they want to save their leagues at when creating new associations.

*Alternative Suggestion: Revert to the saves system used by previous games in the series.
Magic Bird

Re: A Few Issues with the Game

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am

2. For tournaments the games are played on a neutral site with no home court advantage so it does not matter who is listed as "home"

5. I do NOT recommend moving the saves folder because the game is not conditioned to look in the installed folder any longer but rather the documents folder. This change was made for a number of reasons (other than this is how more and more programs/games are doing it now). There were instances where people were having permission issues saving files to the installed directory and its also easier for people to back up their save games especially if they're playing more than one Wolverine Studios games. In the past they would have to go to each individual game folder and make copies etc... now they could just backup the entire Wolverine Studios folder that is in the Documents folder all at once.

I will look into the other items post release though for sure.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion