Online Dynasty Play

Online Dynasty Play

Postby dbkoch32 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:56 pm

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for a loyal group of people to join an online league with me. I don't know how long a season will take yet, but I'm just gauging interest in a league. I think it will be fun to recruit and play against each other.
Let me know...
dbkoch32

Re: Online Dynasty Play

Postby CoachC » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 am

sadly in 14 years there has always been interest, but never enough players with the time to commit to actually develop an on-line league. The few attempts early on never went very far, and in recent years no one has really tried. I absolutely agree that it would be fun! And if you can find enough players interested in giving it another try, I'd definitely be interested, and i know there are a lot of other long-time players that would be interested as well. One of the biggest problems has always been that someone with a lot of extra time on their hands has to volunteer to be commissioner and coordinate all the uploads. feel free to pm me and keep me posted!
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Magic Bird » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 am

I'm interested!

Several matters need to be addressed in order for an online league to work, though. Who would be the commissioner? The commissioner needs to be someone with the capability to manage hosting the league's information and discussions online. The commissioner also must be comfortable with using all of the file export and import features in the game, and with uploading the files to wherever the league is hosted at. Also, the commissioner needs to be the most dedicated member of the online league. She/he must establish and follow a strict schedule to maintain the league and contact with its members. The commissioner must have or make the time for this.

Where would the league be hosted at? I know some communities for other games like using Discord. If the league is not hosted on Discord, would the league have its own website? Many other questions arise concerning web hosting if the plan is for the league to have its own site.

These issues are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to operating an online league well.
Magic Bird

Postby CoachC » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 am

Magic Bird wrote:I'm interested!

Several matters need to be addressed in order for an online league to work, though. Who would be the commissioner? The commissioner needs to be someone with the capability to manage hosting the league's information and discussions online. The commissioner also must be comfortable with using all of the file export and import features in the game, and with uploading the files to wherever the league is hosted at. Also, the commissioner needs to be the most dedicated member of the online league. She/he must establish and follow a strict schedule to maintain the league and contact with its members. The commissioner must have or make the time for this.

Where would the league be hosted at? I know some communities for other games like using Discord. If the league is not hosted on Discord, would the league have its own website? Many other questions arise concerning web hosting if the plan is for the league to have its own site.

These issues are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to operating an online league well.

yep, that's why it's never happened even though the capability was there since CB1. i don't follow the pro game...has anyone ever established a successful league there?
CoachC

Postby CoachC » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:30 am

pointguard has always followed the pro game..maybe he can answer.
CoachC

Postby obituaryconch » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I would love to host a website on my hosting provider, probably wordpress or something similar based on what stats need to be posted etc. I also would love to be the commissioner of a league like this. I have time, not a ton, but something that I can easily do in my spare time especially if we do it on a day to day basis.

Let me know what everyone thinks or who is interested as I would love to get this going and I love College Basketball.
obituaryconch

Postby CoachC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 am

still interested! like i said , keep me updated via pms if you get it going! It ain't easy to get it done! But love to see that there is fresh blood with the desire!
CoachC

Postby Magic Bird » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:21 am

CoachC wrote:yep, that's why it's never happened even though the capability was there since CB1. i don't follow the pro game...has anyone ever established a successful league there?

Quite a few online leagues have been established over the years that use games from the Pro series. Some have even used the first DDS:PB for most of their existence. At least a couple of leagues have been active for several years. Golden Age Hoops and the Champion Sim League have probably been the most successful online leagues for the DDS:PB series.
Magic Bird

Postby Magic Bird » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:34 am

obituaryconch wrote:Hello everyone,

I would love to host a website on my hosting provider, probably wordpress or something similar based on what stats need to be posted etc. I also would love to be the commissioner of a league like this. I have time, not a ton, but something that I can easily do in my spare time especially if we do it on a day to day basis.

Let me know what everyone thinks or who is interested as I would love to get this going and I love College Basketball.

Glad to see your interested, obituaryconch, and welcome to the forums! :)

If you have the space or money to host a website, that would be great! I don't know if Wordpress would work well for hosting a league; as far as I'm aware Wordpress is typically used for hosting blogs. Most online leagues that I am familiar with have used either a forum or Discord to host information and discussions.

Your mention of "a day to day basis" reminded me of another important part of organizing online leagues: how quickly would the league progress through a season? I'll have to think about how this would work with the College game and carefully research and compare how other online leagues handle their schedules.

*LATER ADDITION TO POST*
As far as being commissioner is concerned, I personally think that someone who has been active in the community for many years should be the initial commissioner. People like CoachC, PointGuard or Wayne23 would be my first choices, and others including Valdarix, bloomington, Slybelle1, NCAAhoops, and C-Bailey24 would also be nominated on my ballot. If the first commissioner no longer wishes to be commissioner after the league has operated successfully for some time (after the first season has been played), and if you or I or others prove to be dedicated, active, capable, and congenial members, then you or I or someone else could step up and become commissioner. These are merely my opinions and my standards. If you are the one who is responsible for hosting and/or maintaining the website, then you should have a leadership position; maybe you would be designated as an administrator.
Last edited by Magic Bird on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Bird

Postby PointGuard » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:06 am

I recall seeing forum postings for a college basketball online league back when Gary was first developing the game and called it Total College Basketball (TCB)...the precursor to DDSCB. That league (TCBA) went on for quite a few seasons, seemed to have some long-running members, and had some interesting reports in the forums. The online reports in the forums were done by a member called painmantle, but haven't seen him on here for a long time.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion