Drives Faced oddities

Re: Drives Faced oddities

Postby C-Bailey24 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:30 pm

CoachC wrote:i'll resummarize my point as well... total drives faced i've not seen go up or down...it depends on your personnel on both ends of the court and the defenses you run and the defenses you face. If you have few drives faced on your end of the court, and aren't giving up a lot of 3s, or jumpshots overall...you are in good shape. on the offense end, if you aren't getting enough drives, examine your offenses and your personnel. That being said, there is nothing you really get from recruiting that tell you how players get their points...you only get that once you have them. Like i said, i haven't seen any big difference in the NUMBER of drives on each end of the court, and if you have, perhaps you need to examine your sets. It's one of the reasons i've never simmed games other than during beta. A legit 3 that can drive and shoot outside, AND play defense is perhaps the most valuable and hardest to find asset of all. Especially if they can rebound as well. phemomenal sfs have always been the most difficult to find asset in the game, as well the hardest to stop!

I think you're over-analyzing. Here's his post..

Okay, I think folks are missing my real point: it is not that I am seeing too few drive STOPS, it is that I am not seeing drives at all. Albany's opponents only tried to drive the ball 12 times in 18 games. It is NOT drive stop percentage, it is that other teams aren't even trying to drive.

That is what is strange.

And i think Gary pretty much answered his question. More man defense will see more drives faced statistically.
C-Bailey24

Postby deftones » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:04 pm

NCAAhoops wrote:Is your team athletic? One of the things I look at is how athletic my team is. When I scout my next opponent I look at their drive ratings 8 men deep on their depth chart. Then I adjust my defensive intensity to accommodate my scouting. In other words if a team drives a lot and your not athletic you better play off and set defensive intensity lower. I've gone from my default of 6 defensive intensity to 4 in some cases. If I'm athletic and they have high drive ratings then I just back of defensive intensity from 6 to 5.
If your athletic and at least average defensive rating or better your less vulnerable to drives and not fouling when they do.

NCAAhoops - Quick question on your comments above. When scouting an opponent's drive ratings, isn't that a defensive number? So, under MISC stats it's defensive drives faced and drives stopped? How would I find the drive ratings for an offense to understand how to setup my defense?
deftones

Postby Tim Moungey » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:55 pm

This is directly tied to your high zone. The same is true of the pro engine - high zone = low drive numbers. Gary's post clarifies why that's the case. It does make those of us who rely on the advanced defensive metrics have a more difficult time in evaluating the defensive effectiveness of players (PA/SF then becomes far more important a metric. TOFC is too system dependent).

To calculate drive ratings of opponents, it's a combination of SCR rating, ball action preferences of individual players, and offensive system being run. I can't speak to the offensive systems (still feeling my way around that), but a good baseline is to look at the distribution of SCR ratings and what the drive preference of the highest SCR players are. Admittedly, this works better in the pro game, where the ranges are much wider. But I think it's worth looking at in the college game, too.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby NCAAhoops » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm

deftones - I look at my opponents player cards, then you have two pie charts. I scout about 8 players deep for their ratings in the following, Scoring, Drawing Fouls, Inside, Efficiency ratings, and on the Pie chart Outside, Post, and Drive. I use this to decide my defense. If some of these ratings are hi whomever is guarding them is going to get in foul trouble so I might play more zone or back off Defensive Intensity especially if they have Hi scoring, Draw Foul and Post or Drive ratings you can almost guarantee it. My teams best players are my center and my two guards so I want to be sure they don't get in foul trouble as that's one of my teams weakness' especially my center. If you don't pay attention to some of those ratings your player may end up with two quick fouls early in the game and with my team it just makes it hard as my bench is not very good. My backup center has a 10 defensive rating so now that center with those hi ratings will have a field day.
NCAAhoops

Postby deftones » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:19 pm

ncaahoops - Awesome, thank you for the quick reply. I need to start paying attention more to the opponent's ratings, but wasn't sure of the best way to go about it. Thank you for the helpful information!
deftones

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion