Why are AI schools' budgets and facilities static?

Why are AI schools' budgets and facilities static?

Postby knolysis » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:06 pm

I play the game strictly as an "observer" of the game world. I will often modify coaches/players to create situations interesting to me to see how it affects the world.

One thing I have noticed is that if I pick a low prestige team and modify the coaches/players to make them outperform and increase prestige, their budget and facilities never change. I have done this with teams for 25+ seasons several occasions and I have never once seen the budget or facilities change. Inevitably, the school in question gets its prestige high enough that it hires coaches at/beyond its budget and can no longer recruit, causing a death spiral.

What is the reasoning behind this? It would seem to greatly favor the player actively coaching a team - the other schools in the conference will never be able to keep pace and you will eventually dominate simply because you have so much better budget/facilites to work with.
knolysis

Re: Why are AI schools' budgets and facilities static?

Postby PointGuard » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Very interesting. That's not something I've ever checked. The AI should be trying to get budget and facility increases and if it's not, it seems to me something that needs correcting. It sounds to me like something Gary needs to know about so I am forwarding your comments to him.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Gary Gorski » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:52 pm

I've been through the code and I can tell you that if you're actively coaching a team the code functions exactly the same for your team as the AI. AI teams make requests and get accepted or denied on the same criteria. I'm looking into right now if something is different if you're not coaching a team like your situation.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby knolysis » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks for looking into this, Gary. I realize I play the game very differently than most of your customers so this is likely a very small issue. I'll try making myself an active coach and see if the results are different.

I don't want my play style to reflect on the game itself (I play all sports sims as an observer if the option is available) - you have a great game on your hands. The game results "feel" good, the teams have play style personalities, the UI is beautiful - so many great things. I have played various incarnations of the game (back to the TCB days with GreyDog!) and this is certainly the best version yet!
knolysis

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:02 pm

I know facilities change for all teams over time. I have noticed that for many saves. I have seen a 'small' team with, say B- facilities after a few seasons and thought they I would like to try playing as them, only to find they start out C- in the game.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby PointGuard » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Your_Imaginary_Friend wrote:I know facilities change for all teams over time. I have noticed that for many saves. I have seen a 'small' team with, say B- facilities after a few seasons and thought they I would like to try playing as them, only to find they start out C- in the game.

That could either mean they never requested a facilities upgrade or requested it and were denied each time (and thus their facilities atrophied over time).

I haven't watched what happens with AI coached teams, but have you seen AI controlled teams get IMPROVED facilities or an INCREASE in budget?
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby knolysis » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:29 am

I finally tested a career where I was an active coach and yes, other schools facilities and budgets did change.

I suspect the issue is that the code that actually changes all of the schools is only triggered by the email you get as a coach to make a board request. Since I am not an active coach, I never get the email, thus the board request code is never triggered and no schools get changed.

I just have a different play style that the game really doesn't take into account.
knolysis

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 pm

PointGuard wrote:
Your_Imaginary_Friend wrote:I know facilities change for all teams over time. I have noticed that for many saves. I have seen a 'small' team with, say B- facilities after a few seasons and thought they I would like to try playing as them, only to find they start out C- in the game.

That could either mean they never requested a facilities upgrade or requested it and were denied each time (and thus their facilities atrophied over time).

I haven't watched what happens with AI coached teams, but have you seen AI controlled teams get IMPROVED facilities or an INCREASE in budget?

You have the wrong end of the stick there. The team moved from C- to B- in the save. That is an improvement. When I started up a new save, they were at C- so I know they improved to B-.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby PointGuard » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:39 am

Ah OK, Cool!
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion