Hiring assistants

Hiring assistants

Postby daltontr » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 am

If this has been previously discussed, I apologize. I didn't find anything in the search.

Just my opinion, but the hiring of staff is kind clunky. Having to fire an assist, before you have his replacement under contract is a major role of the dice, because you basically get one shot at signing his potential replacement. This is made even more difficult by the WIDE range of salary requirements of the potential hires and you really have no choice but to offer the maximum to ensure that your potential hire will take the job...and that doesn't always guarantee that you'll get him.

More often than not, I sign the assistant that I'm targeting, but it's not uncommon to have fired a perfectly good assistant, to go after a great assistant and then be force to offer the position to a graduate assistant. There are obvious ways around this and I will admit that when this happens, I simply edit my "Rookie" to reflect the same attributes of my previous assistant. Some might consider that less than ethical, but I prefer to think of it as a work around, because the punishment for attempting to hire a better coach and failing, is rather punitive imho.

In a perfect world, I'd love to be able to "Recruit" assistants, just like we do players. Is that hotshot assistant from Duke ready for his first coaching job, is he interested in my program, can I woo him to seriously consider the job and then finally negotiating his terms. If that were all possible, then I'd have no problem firing the assistant first. Just food for thought.
daltontr
Elite Member

Re: Hiring assistants

Postby Wayne23 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:29 am

This has changed and it's probably my least favorite change.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion