Defense rating

Defense rating

Postby hefewe1zen » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:56 pm

One could probably figure out how offense works in PB/CB but the lack of documentation means that defensive performance is difficult to explain.

Stealing and blocking are clear. I couldn't find anything about defense rating though or whether height and weight are factored into anything.

In PB2018, opponents are usually averaging around .490 FG% against my team, way over the league average. Blocking directly lowers FG% but it's not explaining the difference. Defense rating could, I guess.

My CB2018 college team, Tulsa from Middle States Conference, currently full of freshmen and sophomores, faced #2 Maryland. I was heavely outrebonded and outblocked, turned the ball over a lot. However, the real difference maker between a small team and an elite one seems to be FG%. My team was shooting a ridicoulus .291, 3PT% was .200. It was also obvious that my big men couldn't post up and most of the shots came from outside. However, Maryland didn't shoot especially well (.462).

But I'm not sure if my team's poor shooting was caused by the opponent having much better defense ratings or the game engine adjusting to reflect the difference of general skill level between the teams, effectively crippling my players to get realistic result.

So I'm wondering what exactly defense ratings does (lower opposing players FG%, denying shots?) and if height and weight matter anything.
hefewe1zen

Re: Defense rating

Postby Tim Moungey » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:51 pm

If it's like PB, height/weight ratio matter for Drive Stop Rate - generally the lighter you are, the better your DSR is relative to your height, but your PA/SF ratio worsens.

However, because CB has Athleticism, I wonder if that's mitigated. What's the Athleticism of your guys like?
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:22 pm

I do not know this for certain, however this works for me: Defense rating is subtracted from the inside/outside shooting rating (and adjusted for ht/wt as suggested above) to get the effective chance of making a shot. So better defenders cut down on shooting percentages. then there is the chance of a block.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby NCAAhoops » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:36 am

When I was playing around creating real players mod back in 2015-16 season I found Discipline rating seems to effect FG% along with other ratings combined. I think Discipline rating effects FG% and Fouling so I think it may be how well a player can stick with the guy he's guarding. When I was working on the mod I was trying to create more fouls and adjusted Discipline down and what I found is FG% went up. So I can't say for certain but it is what I saw and had to choose a happy medium between the two. And of course Defense plays in there and maybe Athleticism.
NCAAhoops

Postby Tim Moungey » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:07 pm

NCAAhoops wrote:When I was playing around creating real players mod back in 2015-16 season I found Discipline rating seems to effect FG% along with other ratings combined. I think Discipline rating effects FG% and Fouling so I think it may be how well a player can stick with the guy he's guarding. When I was working on the mod I was trying to create more fouls and adjusted Discipline down and what I found is FG% went up. So I can't say for certain but it is what I saw and had to choose a happy medium between the two. And of course Defense plays in there and maybe Athleticism.

While we've long-known Discipline affects foul rate (its most obvious and primary influence), OPP FG% is an interesting angle - one I don't think we've explored at the pro level yet.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion