Tempo

Tempo

Postby jbergey » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Average NCAA Tempo this season was 67.7 possessions per game.

Currently I dont have a team below that tempo with an average in the mid-70s.
It appears turnover percentage is a percentage point or two off as well.
jbergey

Re: Tempo

Postby PointGuard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:53 am

I'm not sure where you got your tempo ratings for real life Division 1. I had a rather tough time finding that rating online but here's what I got from teamrankings.com (provided as possessions/game) and how it compares to my most recent full season team stats in DDSCB2019 (provided as tempo):

Range:
Division 1: 81.9 - 62.6 possession/game
DDSCB: 79.6 - 70.0 tempo

Median:
Division 1: 71.1 possessions/game
DDSCB: 75.5 tempo

That would make DDSCB2019 much closer to real life stats for tempo/possessions per game. But the tempo for DDSCB2019 IS a little higher than the Division 1 possessions/game.

Team scoring is a tad high in DDSCB2019 compared to real life Division 1 in the 2018-2019 season and I just provided some data on that to Gary for his review and possible tweaking. Maybe the slightly higher tempo in DDSCB is creating the slightly high team scoring.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby NCAAhoops » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 am

Quick question, are you using the Full College mod with Real Coaches import or Game generated coaches (no real coaches).
The Real Coaches assumes 5 is NCAA Average over the last 3 years of Pace/Tempo weighted to last season and I have considered dropping the average down to 4. It doesn't make a huge difference but I don't want to skew numbers too much as the Max and Minimum numbers will be out of wack. But I think the Minimum # 1 pace does not go below 70 as I have tried to get Virginia down into the hi 60's without success. I have run some trials with 4 as average and I still can't go low enough.
One of the things I have found researching pace is how it is calculated by the website. For example Sports Reference Pace and Kenpom Tempo do not match as they calculate it differently. Another site I pay to get some stats calculates it if a team takes a shot if the first 10 seconds of the shot clock, so its how they interpret pace, is it a fast pace if you take more shots in the first 10 seconds (sounds more real) or just overall number of possessions per game (which is really an average)? I use Sports Reference Pace for coaches in the Mod as I assume Wolverine use possessions to calculate Pace in the game stats screen. It would be nice if the minimum 1 and the max 10 would have just a little more spread but overall.

It's a small thing for me in the overall game as far as Wolverine making everything perfect is something I think they strive for which is why I throw all my time into this game, its just not always easy to do with just numbers and programming, even the big boy like EA Sports had stats issues back when they made NCAA games. This is the best college basketball game all inclusive for recruiting, game play, and tournaments that I have seen in over 20 years of trying different games. There are other games that do match stats fairly well but, no recruiting, tournaments are limited, or they are no longer current or supported but did do a fairly good job at stats but always had some not right on including pace. So I think this shows how hard it is to do in real life programming.
NCAAhoops

Postby jbergey » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:59 am

PointGuard wrote:I'm not sure where you got your tempo ratings for real life Division 1.

I get my information from kenpom.com. It costs $20 to get all the information but inside the teams it gives you the national average which is 67.7.
jbergey

Postby NCAAhoops » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 pm

2019 season as of 3/11/2019 Sports Reference average was 69.5 which which is about what I used for files with coaches for a 5 Average Rating back in February, there again Kenpom and Sports Reference calculate it differently. I use Sports Reference as I think the game calculates it like they do, estimated possessions. Where Kenpom calculates based on possessions but adjusted based on opponent which isn't very clear on how the opponent affects the number. Probably more accurate but probably not how the game calculates it so I don't think Kenpom and the game will match. Hard to say who's right, but I still believe the game needs minimum 1 to slightly lower so you can get down into the low 60's pace.
NCAAhoops

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion