Multi Offense/Defense Advantages?

Multi Offense/Defense Advantages?

Postby Perfekt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Love the game, but there are so many questions I have about how the game actually works.

I've upset quite a few teams even making a Sweet 16 with Alabama State in my 3rd Season running Full Princeton focus inside, Look for 3s. I play Man to man only, but I should probably be running exclusively Zone, since my players defense is garbage, but it hasn't mattered. My team is top 10 in scoring since the 3rd year.

None of that matters really, just wanted to know if people had similar experiences with putting "Look for Threes" as a part of their every game plan?

Are there any real advantages in running multiple offenses and multiple defenses. Like running Triangle and Princeton and 3-2 zone and Man. IS there a throwing off the other team factor at all?

If I run one offense and defense couldn't I put 10 points into each of the zone beaters to auto-win against those?

I guess I just had a few theories I wanted to ask about and see other people's experiences.
Perfekt

Re: Multi Offense/Defense Advantages?

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pm

This is where I like to scout my opponent. Check out more than the scouting report about your opponent where it likely says they run Man-to-man. How good are they at it? check the players who play the most minutes for their proficiencies at the various defensive schemes. also, if they are quite adept at zone defense, they will likely be running that a lot of the time. Which means your team will NOT be in your scheme, rather they use the appropriate ZONE ATTACK offense.

On defense, if a team uses High Post, you can counter with 3-2. However, they will be using their zone attack, so things get murky.

I also check out which of my opponents players are poor on defense and focus my attack there, if possible. By that I mean, if my opponent has crap big men, I pound it inside. And shoot three's when the outside men are not good.

plus, even if you are putting 10 into each offense, you will likely not get to 'auto-win' status since you will still have to have better ratings than your opponent to win.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby Perfekt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 pm

I guess it just seems to me that it is best to practice and use a single offense and defense so that you don't spread you practice time thin. Because all those adjustments can be made without committing to another defense or offense, right? Also, teams don't practice as much against zones, so wouldn't it be best to run zone 100% of the time?
Perfekt

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 pm

I'm exploring offenses right now. When I'm playing normally I actually go with Princeton and Triangle. I use 3 Ds, 50% of the time it's Man, 25% 2-3, 25% 3-2. Not sure how well that works but I recruit for good defensive players and my D is usually very effective.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Perfekt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 pm

I imagine the developer isn't keen on sharing if there is an actual advantage to showing different looks on offense/defense, but I would definitely think that it is awesome if it is coded in there somewhere.

How good do your players get at those defenses if you are doing so many? It seems your players wouldn't be great at them until way late in their career. Whereas if you focused on a single offense/defense they would be pretty good after a season. What is the reward in doing multiple defenses? I guess if you practiced multiple offenses at least if you can't find guys who fit one scheme you can run the other.

The more I play the game though it is starting to feel like loading up on 3 point shooters and running a defense that defends the 3 well like 3-2 and 1-3-1 is the way to go. Surely there are many ways to strategize, I guess I'm just excited about the game and wanted to theory craft with more experienced coaches. Thanks for the response.
Perfekt

Postby Wayne23 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:55 pm

The best strategy is to keep trying things and then see what works best for you. The "regulars" all play differently from each other. Keep asking though.
Wayne23
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby Perfekt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:09 pm

Wayne23 wrote:The best strategy is to keep trying things and then see what works best for you. The "regulars" all play differently from each other. Keep asking though.

I did think that was really cool. Looking through old posts about what people do, it seemed like everyone had varying opinions on things. Which is obviously a great sign for the game.
Perfekt

Postby Gary Gorski » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:06 am

The truth of the matter is that there is no "right" or "best" way to do it. Because there are so many options specializing in one area is likely to make you very proficient at that one thing and you might be able to beat a bunch of teams because of it but you also might run into a team that can totally negate that one thing leaving you at a disadvantage with nothing to fall back on. We've seen teams make tournament runs IRL because they do something unique but eventually it seems somebody figures it out or they rely totally on being a three point shooting team and for some reason their star player who is a great three point shooter goes 0-12 that game :)

You also have the issue of new recruits - if you are highly specialized in something like the Princeton offense what happens if you get a good recruit? Are you going to sit him because he doesn't know the offense until he gets up to speed? Are you going to play him and then be less effective because you have one guy who keeps screwing up the flow and positioning of the offense? That is my absolute most favorite thing about the game - there's no automatic path to victory and you can always choose your own path and make decisions to support that choice rather than everyone sort of being forced down one particular path in the end.
Gary Gorski
WS Development

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:40 am

"even making a Sweet 16 with Alabama State in my 3rd Season running Full Princeton focus inside, Look for 3s"

How does one run focus inside, Look for 3's? If you are running inside focus the ball is going inside, not outside. When I do this, fewer three's result, so I'm curious.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby Perfekt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:27 pm

I'm not sure, but they seem to pound the inside when it is available, and if they get a open look at three they seem to just take it. It seems like it limits midrange jumpers which I as a coach absolutely despise. Which is also why I'm starting to think zones that take away the three are the best defenses in this game. Lets you not recruit toward defense and still be decent. (This is strictly speaking from starting with Rookie level coaching stats and at a really low prestige school) This could all be way different at a Duke where you probably just want to run a free form offense and press constantly because you can just out athlete everyone. Can't really do that when you are getting 4-year 3 star guys that are gonna have a weakness somewhere.
Perfekt

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion