10 attempts in and I still suck

Re: 10 attempts in and I still suck

Postby Drewdaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:47 pm

So I know we all think that all the lower ranked teams use a zone defense, however Im looking at all the coaches that are loaded into the game, and I think I've seen 3-4 teams actually who try and use a zone based on coach preferences. Hmmm
Drewdaddy

Postby JHopkins19 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 am

Regarding redshirting, for what its worth, I never do it anymore. I've had every version of this game going back to Grey Dog and have never successfully developed a guy via red shirting. Thats not to say it can't be done, but I've always failed. If a freshman comes in 1 star out 4 possible, that seems like the ideal guy to redshirt, but my experience is the following season he will be 1 out of 1 or 1 out of 2 regardless of your or your assistant coaches rating, low major, mid major, or high major. I have only found guys to really get better with playing time.
JHopkins19

Postby NCAAhoops » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:53 pm

In real life D1 not many teams play zone more than 75% of the time. Here is a list I am aware of that do. While a lot of teams hardly ever play zone and a lot play about 25-30% zone.
Here's a list of the ones over 75% of the time do play zone.

Syracuse 100%
VCU 90%
St Johns 90%
Washington 90%
Maryland-Eastern Shore 80%
Illinois State 80%

There are possibly a few missing from this list as I don't know every team of the top of my head. But I did get many of the % from an article about zone defense with interviews with coaches. Over all zone is played about 20% of the time in NCAA D1 over the last 10 years. Here's an article that's a little old that says 21.6% back in 2013-14 season and it was up because of rule changes that caused more fouls to be called so coaches used zone to help with foul trouble. https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2013/12/04/college-basketballs-use-of-zone-defenses-up-six-percent-from-last-season/

Here's another more recent article showing zone has dropped back down since then below 20% in 2017 (See the Chart) so I use 20% as the median for teams that I do not know. https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/the-change-in-zone-defense-in-college-basketball-and-does-it-pay-off-all-season

Also you can make a coach controlled by the game and not human that has been set to 90% zone usage but if the CPU evaluates the roster and the talent is good enough to play man to man then it will change that zone% down in the strategy screen. It might go the other way as well if its set to low zone it might raise zone usage base on player defensive ratings as that's what the game is supposed to do, evaluate the talent and set strategy accordingly so it can also depend on what players the game generated at the start of the season. For instance Duke ran Zone about 80% of the time at the end of 2017-18 season but rarely ran zone this year because of roster talent differences and the game does the same thing.

But 20% of possessions or less today is not a lot of zone being played among 353 teams. As a human coach you can do what ever you wish as far as the % goes and I think that is what you're seeing on the board.
NCAAhoops

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:45 am

Drewdaddy wrote:So I know we all think that all the lower ranked teams use a zone defense, however Im looking at all the coaches that are loaded into the game, and I think I've seen 3-4 teams actually who try and use a zone based on coach preferences. Hmmm

Not true at all. If you look back at my thread about not seeing drive stops, you will know that only teams that have no drive stoops are playing 100% zone. It is rare to see a team with no drive stops at all for the season. So very few teams play 100% zone.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby Perfekt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Your_Imaginary_Friend wrote:
Drewdaddy wrote:So I know we all think that all the lower ranked teams use a zone defense, however Im looking at all the coaches that are loaded into the game, and I think I've seen 3-4 teams actually who try and use a zone based on coach preferences. Hmmm

Not true at all. If you look back at my thread about not seeing drive stops, you will know that only teams that have no drive stoops are playing 100% zone. It is rare to see a team with no drive stops at all for the season. So very few teams play 100% zone.

Yeah, I mean I see a lot of people who say that bad defensive teams SHOULD play more zone. But I didn't think we all knew low ranked teams used zone, that would've surprised me, if true, for sure.
Perfekt

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am

One thing I'm paying closer attention to is that using more offensive freedom against zone teams is producing good results. I think that is an indication zone teams can't set up on D as well when you bring the ball up and freelance rather than get into the zone attacks. At least that seems to work with my pressing pressure team.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby cloudstryfe » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:58 pm

I don't tweek the team strategy whatsoever......what I do is tweek my coaching philosophy to compliment the team strategy in itself. I did this my first year as the Kansas State coach and struggled at the start of the season, but, found the effective recipe towards the end of the season(9-9 in conference play and 18-10 overall). I did not get an NCAA tournament bid, but, did get a #1 ranking in the NIT and actually won the darned thing. I go all-out on defensive tenacity and crashing the boards defensively, and made sure the recruits I offer scholarships to have c or above defensive grade to pull this off. Remember, your coaching philosophy also dictates what type of player you want to recruit.
cloudstryfe

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion