Recruit Evals?

Recruit Evals?

Postby medical3072 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:44 am

I'm having some trouble understanding recruiting evals. I signed a recruit that had the following eval:

SCR - PAS - HND - IN - OUT - FT - DEF - REB - BK - STL - ATH - OVR
B - B - B - D - A - D - B - D - D - C - D - B

16.4 ppg, 4.8 apg, 5.6 rpg, 2.3 spg, 1.8 bpg

Magazine: regional 25 (OV), 7 (POS)
WSSN: regional 25 (OV), 7 (POS)

He's a 1.0/1.5 freshman. How?
medical3072

Re: Recruit Evals?

Postby medical3072 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:23 pm

Anybody? Am I just on the extremely wrong side of variance, or am I misinterpreting the eval? I'd like to run more simulations but it takes so long to sim a single season...
medical3072

Postby PointGuard » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:17 pm

His recruit skill-ratings are good but not great. And 25th ranked regionally means he's probably 100+ ranked nationally, so not a sure thing.

The 1.0/1.5 does seem a little low (especially the potential rating), but he may have been mis-rated as a recruit or as an incoming freshman by you and your coaches.

Play him and see how he does...he might perform better than you'd expect of a 1.0/1.5 guy. If not, his ratings may change a lot as a sophomore or junior. Of course, you might just have recruited a bust. Life's uncertain. :rolleyes:
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby NCAAhoops » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:46 am

The big thing I see is he isn't very athletic and that means he will have trouble getting himself open for shots on the college level where in high school against lower competition it was OK. That maybe why his levels are low by your scouting coach.
I agree with PointGuard, play him and see. I currently have SF one was rated 3.5 an another 1.5, but the magazine ratings had the 1.5 guy ranked higher. I always play two exhibition games before I play real games and the 1.5 out preformed the 3.5 in both exhibition games. So I still started the 3.5 SF at the beginning of the season but substituted so each played about half the game and the 1.5 still out preformed slightly. So I made the switch and low and behold his rating came up later in the season. So I believe my scouting ratings caused a bad eval of his talent. Now he is rated about the same as the 3.5 SF at 3.0 but scores better so I start him as I don't have a lot of good scorers. It could well be your scouting ratings are poor and the magazine rating may be more correct. If so use the magazine over your own ratings.
NCAAhoops

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:59 pm

medical3072 wrote:I'm having some trouble understanding recruiting evals. I signed a recruit that had the following eval:

SCR - PAS - HND - IN - OUT - FT - DEF - REB - BK - STL - ATH - OVR
B - B - B - D - A - D - B - D - D - C - D - B

16.4 ppg, 4.8 apg, 5.6 rpg, 2.3 spg, 1.8 bpg

Magazine: regional 25 (OV), 7 (POS)
WSSN: regional 25 (OV), 7 (POS)

He's a 1.0/1.5 freshman. How?

First, remember his letter scouting grades reflect POTENTIAL, not CURRENT.

Secondly, I've found far too many recruits/players whose overall ratings bounce around meaninglessly. This is a prime example of a player whose overall is likely to bounce up next year, then plummet back to 1.0/1.5 and end up 2.5/3.0.

Compare his actual ratings to your other players for a better indication of how good the player is for your team. I've also had many players go up across the board in ratings and drop in overall rating to have any belief in the overall ratings.

As has been suggested, play the kid and see how he does.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion