Ratings Question

Ratings Question

Postby predsfan215 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Hey all, new to the game.

I’m just getting into my first association, and I have a question I haven’t been able to find the answer to. I understand what most of the ratings represent except for Scoring.

Can someone explain what the difference between Scoring and Inside/Outside Shooting is?
predsfan215

Re: Ratings Question

Postby Tim Moungey » Wed May 01, 2019 5:35 pm

Scoring = Ability/Propensity to take shots

Inside Shooting = A combination of shots from FGD to FGI
Outside Shooting = A combination of shots from FGJ to FG3

Both shooting ratings are approximate levels of ability. To get the true shooting ratings, you'd need to export the database and look at the percentage ratings for each shot type, which is the percentage they'd shoot of that type of shot based on infinite attempts
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby Tim Moungey » Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Further:

If you have a high scoring rating player but poor shooting, that's going to kill your offense's efficiency.

Multiple high scoring rating players can present a problem. Too many scorers, only one ball issue. Personally, the pro game (which I play the most), I like have to 3 high scoring guys with good shooting and rotate the matrix so at least two of them are on the court at all times.
Tim Moungey
Elite Member

Postby PointGuard » Wed May 01, 2019 6:54 pm

To add to what TIm said: remember...scoring and shooting ratings (like all other ratings) are based on the quality of your coaches evaluations. Sometimes they are pretty accurate, other times not so much.

If a player has a very low Scoring rating and during a timeout you set up a play for him to shoot, he's probably more often than not going to pass it off rather than putting up the shot (can be very frustrating).

If you're going up against a team who's highest scorer (who probably has the highest or nearly the nighest Scoring rating) is averaging 17 ppg, but he's averaging 5 of 20 FG's per game and 2 of 10 three's per game...don't double team the guy (unless he has a rare very hot shooting game)...better to let him drag down his team's shooting percentage.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby hefewe1zen » Thu May 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Tim Moungey wrote:Scoring = Ability/Propensity to take shots

Inside Shooting = A combination of shots from FGD to FGI
Outside Shooting = A combination of shots from FGJ to FG3

Both shooting ratings are approximate levels of ability. To get the true shooting ratings, you'd need to export the database and look at the percentage ratings for each shot type, which is the percentage they'd shoot of that type of shot based on infinite attempts

Outside is pretty clear, except that it covers both jumpers and threes so a PG could appear as an okay shooter and still be a bad 3pt shooter (.260 to .290). Limited big men have 3P% near to 0 but still have a rating of 5 if they are decent at jumpers.

Inside is much more confusing because it's not only the raw drive and inside FG%. Most of my guards are 1 FGI yet one of them has better FG% than my centers who are in the 7-8 range. So it seems it somehow includes the tendency of taking inside shots.
hefewe1zen

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am

Another very important aspect of scoring that most everyone forgets:

viewtopic.php?f=262&t=28512
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby hefewe1zen » Fri May 03, 2019 10:34 am

Your_Imaginary_Friend wrote:Another very important aspect of scoring that most everyone forgets:

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/board/v ... 62&t=28512

Gary's statement needs clarification:

"That's true - the sim engine will need a bit of an overhaul for the d-league much like the college game engine works differently for two small schools playing each other"
hefewe1zen

Postby predsfan215 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:27 am

Thanks for the answers. That makes sense to me.
predsfan215

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am

The implication is clear: For more scoring in the D League, the same boost to scoring that occurs when two small schools (with obviously lower rated scorers) needs to be implemented.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion