2020 Version idea

2020 Version idea

Postby alternativestats » Thu May 30, 2019 4:36 pm

I can't remember if I posted this idea before, but the Real World mod's plan to update academics reminded me. I would like to see a school's academics rating change over time if you make it a point to have your team improve their GPA or completely ignore it. Then academic rating would adjust, the same way the coach can build prestige and facilities over time.
alternativestats

Re: 2020 Version idea

Postby PointGuard » Thu May 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Not sure, but do academic ratings for a college really change much in real life? Seems to me that they don't. But I may be wrong. I don't think that a coach coming in who stresses academics (and his players consequently doing well academically) really changes the college's overall academic rating or SAT minimum.

So I think academic rating differs from facilities which can be altered by a college improving them by spending money or not spending money and thereby experiencing a gradual downgrading. The same with prestige which can be improved or lessened by how the team does over time.

Just my opinion.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby alternativestats » Thu May 30, 2019 7:50 pm

I agree on minimum SAT scores not necessarily changing. But if a coach has a reputation for having a team that consistently graduates/has a higher average GPA than the overall student body, academics could be part of the pitch, even at a school that isn't necessarily thought of in that way. And I think of that rating as being part of how recruits consider a place where academics is important to them. So I think it's a rating that should change over time

Maybe because it's a factor that doesn't affect the school's minimum SAT or overall grad rate/GPA it can change much slower than other ratings, but I would be interested in seeing some change. Especially when a coach finds a landing spot that they occupy for ten plus years.

Another idea is comparable to the pipeline change I'd like to see. I think pipeline states should be attached to the coach as well as the school. So if I am in California and manage to make Arizona a pipeline state... if I transfer to say Missouri, I would still have a link to recruiting Arizona. I also would love to see pipeline cities but I understand if that becomes too complicated to code in with all of the different subdivisions/counties in a major metro area.

So in the portable scenario a coach would have an academic rating that moves with the coach from job to job and is merged/factored into a school's rating.
alternativestats

Postby PointGuard » Thu May 30, 2019 10:56 pm

OK, some good points.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby Your_Imaginary_Friend » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:48 pm

alternativestats wrote:I agree on minimum SAT scores not necessarily changing. But if a coach has a reputation for having a team that consistently graduates/has a higher average GPA than the overall student body, academics could be part of the pitch, even at a school that isn't necessarily thought of in that way. And I think of that rating as being part of how recruits consider a place where academics is important to them. So I think it's a rating that should change over time

Maybe because it's a factor that doesn't affect the school's minimum SAT or overall grad rate/GPA it can change much slower than other ratings, but I would be interested in seeing some change. Especially when a coach finds a landing spot that they occupy for ten plus years.

Another idea is comparable to the pipeline change I'd like to see. I think pipeline states should be attached to the coach as well as the school. So if I am in California and manage to make Arizona a pipeline state... if I transfer to say Missouri, I would still have a link to recruiting Arizona. I also would love to see pipeline cities but I understand if that becomes too complicated to code in with all of the different subdivisions/counties in a major metro area.

So in the portable scenario a coach would have an academic rating that moves with the coach from job to job and is merged/factored into a school's rating.

I think the coach's ACADEMICS rating as currently used in the game provides this boost already. That is, a player for whom academics is important is currently programmed to like that kind of coach more. How much more of an advantage does one need?

If you have been playing/coaching for 10+ years, your ratings across the board should have increased--either that or you did not set them rise which is too easy to overlook. So again, what you are looking for already happens in the game.

Pipeline states following the coach feels realistic to me. I've seen it in ACC recruiting, in particular. Also, countries as pipelines happens, too.

Again, when you switch jobs your ratings move with you and they already bring the advantage you seek.

So other than the pipeline refinement, I think the other points you bring up already exist in the game.
Your_Imaginary_Friend

Postby alternativestats » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:08 am

I began a new career as a third assistant which allows you to set the weekly practice focus by percentage. I think adding this feature to a user controlled head coach would be a nice addition to the game.
alternativestats

Postby PointGuard » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm

alternativestats wrote:I began a new career as a third assistant which allows you to set the weekly practice focus by percentage. I think adding this feature to a user controlled head coach would be a nice addition to the game.

As head coach you can already change the practice schedule (by percentage) each week.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby alternativestats » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:03 am

Just to make sure we are on the same page. You are saying as head coach I can adjust the focus on free throws, rebounding, etc. of practice each week? If so, I would be interested in knowing the steps to do that. As an assistant those practice options pop up at the start of each new week. But I have never seen the practice popup as a head coach. Just the strategy/practice plan options
alternativestats

Postby PointGuard » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:58 am

No, I thought you were talking about off/def strategies.

Added your request to the Suggestions List.
Dynasty Threads:
PointGuard

Postby Double Dribble » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:12 am

My requests include a bit more dynamic historical and season info in the selection sunday show and hoping the ratings from 1-10 get properly translated to 1-100.

Also in 2018 college version of the game (I didn't get 2019) even on easiest recruiting with a high prestige team, I wasn't on many player's top ten lists to start the pitch.

Also there is a college basketball game out for mobile (which is not nearly as good as yours and I never played more than one full season on it) but it had a 15 page preseason magazine and i think it had a season recap magazine. It might be fun to incorporate that idea.

I am looking forward to this release. Definitely a day one buy. Can't wait to merge it into my pro basketball universe.
Double Dribble

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion