How do you manage team relationship and coach relationship

How do you manage team relationship and coach relationship

Postby uknownick » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi all, new player of CB19 here. I just want to know how you manage team relationship and coach relationship. Also how do you manage attitude problem?

I have a stud player 4.5/5 as a freshman averaging 17 and 10 a game but he always wants to transfer out (tried a few different saves and same thing happens over and over again). I have noticed his team relationship bar just drops like crazy over the course of the season. And by the end of the NCAA tournament, he will be at almost 0 on Team Relationship. Is there a player he doesnt like?

Is it because my prestige is too low? 54 as Northwestern but we were #13 team in NCAA and second in Big 10.

I dont know what to do here. Should I just let him walk after one year? He is the cornerstone of my team and best player on the squad.
uknownick

Re: How do you manage team relationship and coach relationsh

Postby NCAAhoops » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:50 pm

One important thing to pay attention to is the emails you receive saying there was a fight, argument or some type issue between him and other players. You need to respond to those with a phone call to him or the player you think was the cause of the issue.These type things are important if your player liked discipline when you recruited him and you as a coach are not doing that with the trouble makers.
There are a lot of reasons a player will leave but with your issue being "Team Relationship" it sounds like other players and him don't get along and you most probably have emails about it.

My best guess...
NCAAhoops

Postby PointGuard » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:41 am

Good points by NCAAhoops.

What's his personality rating? Sounds like it is probably VERY LOW and he just doesn't get along with people. He's likely to transfer no matter what. Also he may feel like he's a big fish (4.5/5.0 and good scorer and rebounder) in a small pond (Northwestern) and thinks he deserves to be a with a premier Division I program since he continually opts to transfer rather than go pro.

Try what NCAAhoops suggests, but I wouldn't be surprised if his rotten personality is creating a corrosive chemistry within the team and he will leave you and try to find greener pastures...but the others on your team are likely to be happy to see him vamoose and the team may be play more cohesively with him gone.

Another factor may be discipline...what did he express about discipline when being recruited? Does that match what your coach is like related to discipline? If they're totally out of synch, that may be a deal breaker. Also when you recruited him did his High School coach mention he had disciplinary problems with him? That's a big hint that he could create friction within the team and with coaches.

I still think he is probably a very talented player with a personality that keeps him from getting along with anyone. Some of these very low personality guys transfer after their freshman year, sit out the required year, and then as sophomores the next year wear out their welcome at the new school and transfer a 2nd time. They're unhappy wherever they go.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby uknownick » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I have noticed his personality is almost far left to Disruptive. I think he might just be a cancer in the dressing room. I guess I have to treat him as one and done, and say thank you and good luck.
uknownick

Postby cbraddy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:19 pm

I was coaching Buffalo and brought in a center transfer from Georgia. Super talented for my team at least. But I kept getting emails about him causing trouble. I tried calling and addressing attitude problems but he always said it wasn’t him. He transferred after one year. So 3 schools in 4 years. I think sometimes players are just like that, same as real life.
cbraddy

Postby PointGuard » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:47 pm

cbraddy wrote:I was coaching Buffalo and brought in a center transfer from Georgia. Super talented for my team at least. But I kept getting emails about him causing trouble. I tried calling and addressing attitude problems but he always said it wasn’t him. He transferred after one year. So 3 schools in 4 years. I think sometimes players are just like that, same as real life.

EXACTLY!!!
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby CoachC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:23 pm

uknownick wrote:Hi all, new player of CB19 here. I just want to know how you manage team relationship and coach relationship. Also how do you manage attitude problem?

I have a stud player 4.5/5 as a freshman averaging 17 and 10 a game but he always wants to transfer out (tried a few different saves and same thing happens over and over again). I have noticed his team relationship bar just drops like crazy over the course of the season. And by the end of the NCAA tournament, he will be at almost 0 on Team Relationship. Is there a player he doesnt like?

Is it because my prestige is too low? 54 as Northwestern but we were #13 team in NCAA and second in Big 10.

I dont know what to do here. Should I just let him walk after one year? He is the cornerstone of my team and best player on the squad.

As always, stay true to your coach model and his discipline rating. Especially if you are using at as a pitch on home visits to recruits. If you are promising them high discipline they'll expect it even if they don't need to be disciplined themselves. Your coaching relationship with THOSE players will suffer if you don't attend to problems. You have to be gentle at first with Freshmen though, because they all start with fairly low team and coach relationships, but they get better as they mature. You may have let some of the sillier stuff like "arguing about who has the uglier girlfriend" go. I never let a player hangup on me though til he tells me what i want to hear (with a high discipline coach, that is), if i give him enough opportunities to apologize, he'll get a suspension. If he continues to be a problem he'll get less rope. Usually by the time the season starts they fall in line. Obviously if you aren't high on discipline you are going to have to let more slide.

In the dynasty i was just coaching i inherited a player that was a pain in the ass. Even by his senior year his relationship with his teammates was rocky, and I had to suspend him 2 or 3 times before he left school. Quite frankly, i didn't ever care if he transferred, because he sucked anyway. Funny thing though, even though he had a lousy relationship with the team, he had a good relationship with the coaching staff, probably because my coach was high discipline and took the time to call him on the carpet. Most of the time he'd apologize and behave himself for a good long while. If he'd been a walk-on i would have cut him. You need to be careful of that with scholarship players though.

Side note: ALWAYS pay attention to the notes your assistant gathers from their coaches before offering scholarships. Attitude problems, and laziness usually cut them from my list. Injury proneness usually does too, but occasionally you'll get a really talented player that's not being highly recruited because of that reason, and you can snag him at a school where he'd normally be out of your reach. It sometimes is worth that gamble in hopes you get enough playing time out of him that he'll have an impact. It would help if DDS:CB had medical redshirts.
CoachC

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion