Low shooting percentages.

Re: Low shooting percentages.

Postby CoachC » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:18 pm

Gary Gorski wrote:The inside shooting rating has nothing do with their ability to make a layup or something like that. It's a measure of their shooting ability in the paint in combination with the probability of them shooting from there. If a player does nothing but shoot jumpers then he's going to have a low inside scoring rating because he doesn't go inside. He might actually shoot 75% inside but the fact is that it is because he made 3 out of 4 layups on the season and that's the only time he got anywhere near the basket. If it was just a straight measure of the ability to make a basket from a certain distance then you could see some PG with a inside rating pretty close to that of a center who is the next coming of Shaq on your team. Instead the game rates that PG as a 1 or 2 and Shaq a 10 to show there is a clear differentiation in their games - not in their ability to make a shot from 5 feet away.

I'll also point out that the game does give the coach the opportunity to ask players to adjust their games. It takes time, and willingness on the player's part to make those changes, but it does happen, just not overnight. I've had success getting players to drive more, e.g. when I see that they are successful at it when they do. I usually have to ask them multiple times, sometimes over the course of multiple seasons, for the change to be really apparent, but I've seen it happen. If the player flat out refuses to work on the changes, I usually don't bother with it and either bench him, or accept his game-style for what it is.
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Previous

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion