Job Security

Job Security

Postby MrHoncho » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:18 pm

Little bit of a long winded lead in. Running my first dynasty in the series, and ran into something that left me confused.

Started at Cal-Poly. Made 2 NCAA Tournaments, with 1 win, in 6 years. Job Security never fell below 100.

Took job at St. John's. Asked to qualify for NIT, finish above .500, finish in top half of conference, and improve prestige. First year was bad, didn't accomplish any of the goals. Security drops to 60. Makes sense. 2nd year goes great. Meet every goal, surpass NIT goal by making NCAA, and even win a game. Job security moves up to 80. Third season starts, and at some point during the transition between the offseason stage of practice and recruiting, my job security went from 80 to 2, and I have no idea why. I didn't pay any recruits or have any academic problems. No probation. I had what looked to be a second consecutive top 35 class coming in. I did cut one walkon, who was becoming an issue, and had one player, who was already on the team, be ruled academically ineligible during the spring semester, in my first year. He has a 3.5 gpa as a junior now. Those are the only thing I could even think of triggering negativity. St. John's was set as the coaches dream job, so I don't know if something about that is potentially bugged. I thought it was just a glitch in the display, at first, because the meter was probably 20ish% full, but just said 2; but then when I get to the offseason, of the following season (3rd season at St John's) , I got fired. I completed 2 of the 4 goals, didn't repeat the tourney appearance went 16-11. Had the security never taken that unsuspected plummet, the job never would've been in danger. I'm not sure what happened.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a known issue, or is there something I could've done to prevent that, in game? Was I potentially doing something wrong, and the drop was actually meant to occur? Wish I would've had a backup save, for when I noticed the sudden drop, to see if it was repeatable, avoidable, or just some one off thing. Just confused by what happened. I still have a save at the Final Four, before I get fired at the advance to the new offseason, if there is something I can do from there. St John’s also ends up hiring a coach that went 6-22 last year, and has never had a winning season, at a mid major to replace me, and I can land the Indiana job, that becomes available, which just seems weird. I guess I could create a storyline about some sexual scandal or something, and move on, but my strong preference is to remain at St John’s, and I don’t really want to go somewhere else, get attached to the program I’m trying to build, and have it happen again, if possible.
MrHoncho

Re: Job Security

Postby CoachC » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:12 pm

Was it the final year of your contract? that can cause a drop in security, but that seems pretty radical given that you met your goals the previous season. I've never had an association where I got fired, but may be getting close with the current one in cb19 even though my job security is still at 80.
CoachC
DDS:CB Support Squad

Postby CoachC » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Also what level did you have performance pressure set to?
CoachC

Postby MrHoncho » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:34 pm

I believe the performance pressure is set to normal, or whatever the default is. That’s not something I would mess with, on my first real dynasty run.

I won’t be back around the game until Monday, but I want to say that I wasn’t in the final year of the deal. I’ll be able to see that from the save at the Final Four though, to make sure that’s not it. St. John’s wasn’t listed as an available job, and I got an email, stating I had been fired, so I don’t think that’s what it is, though. I think it was originally a 4 year deal, so I would’ve been entering that final year, when they fired me. There would’ve been 2 years left, on the deal, when that massive drop in security happened, though. Do they extend your contract, without really prompting you? I feel like after the 2nd year, with the NCAA tourney win, my years left increased, but I could be misremembering that.

Really enjoying the game, outside of that, so I’m just hoping it’s something I can either correct, or learn how to avoid, in the future.

Cutting a new walk-on wouldn’t impact your job security, would it? Maybe the kid was the University President’s son, and I had no idea, haha.
MrHoncho

Postby CoachC » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:37 pm

Yes, when they extend you they just go ahead and do it. They don't ask you to re-sign. Cutting red-shirts never has any fallout. Cutting scholarship players gives a small hit to prestige. I can't really see any reason they would have fired you under the circumstances. Did you have any academic ineligibility among your players?
CoachC

Postby PointGuard » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:00 pm

Did you testify at the impeachment hearings? That seems to ensure getting fired. :p

This all doesn't make sense. From what you've provided there is no reason for the drop in job security and firing. Agree with Coach that cutting players wouldn't do it and being at the end of your contract (which it sounds like you were not anyway) would not have done it. It doesn't sound like you changed any of the database and that for some reason caused it. What mods are you using? Again, I've not heard anyone say that using a mod that is on the forum pages has caused anything like this, though.

I always run my associations with the most difficult level of job performance and since I always use brutal for recruiting, there are times when I take a new job at a school with a crappy previous record and with lousy players and I don't meet goals but this has never happened.

So I would think either this is a weird glitch (which I've never heard anyone report before) or there is something else going on. Since you don't have a save, I don't see any way for you to continue at St. John's. If they fired you, they aren't going to immediately re-hire you. I see no reason that this would recur in the future though. BUT...it does serve as a reminder to save, save, save.
Dynasty Threads:
Fedora-CB;Town Crier-CB;FIve Friends/Foes-CB;Media Perspective-CB;Whatever It Takes-CB;Who's Bret Vandergard-CB;Gym Rat-CB;Repairman-CB;S. Mastroani-TPG;V. Stevenson-TPG
PointGuard

Postby CoachC » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:17 am

There is one other possibility I suppose. Even though your school hasn't received any sanctions, there is a possibility you have been placed under investigation. You should check the news log in that Final 4 save you have. I believe investigation can occur even if you've done nothing wrong. My coach was actually mentioned in a report of an investigation going on at another school! Nothing came of it, but it was a curious thing!
CoachC

Postby MrHoncho » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 am

CoachC, I had one guy that was ruled ineligible, in my first year. He was a freshman the previous coach had signed. He dropped to a 1.9, got ruled ineligible for the spring semester, but as a junior, I had him up to a 3.5. The year I got fired would’ve been entering his senior year.

PointGuard, I haven’t personally touched anything in the database, I don’t believe. I’m using the full college mod that I found in the forums here. I can’t remember the exact name, but it sounded like it was the one most people here were using. It was the version with the teams, logos and coaches (V3, I believe). I do think it’s a glitch, just by the way it happened, and the way that the job security meter displayed. It said 2, but the blue bar of the meter was probably around 20-25% full. I kind of kept an eye on it, but didn’t let it bother me a ton, because I thought it was just displaying wrong and would eventually correct itself at some point. I do wish I had a save before that sudden drop, but I do have a save in the tournament, before I advance through, and get fired. Is there a way to access the database, at that point, and correct the job security, before advancing to the new season?
Last edited by MrHoncho on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrHoncho

Postby MrHoncho » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:33 am

CoachC wrote:There is one other possibility I suppose. Even though your school hasn't received any sanctions, there is a possibility you have been placed under investigation. You should check the news log in that Final 4 save you have. I believe investigation can occur even if you've done nothing wrong. My coach was actually mentioned in a report of an investigation going on at another school! Nothing came of it, but it was a curious thing!

That’s a good call, that I didn’t think about. I will look for that in the other save. I looked in the news for something, at the off-season stage, but never during the previous season. May also explain why they ended up making a low end hire, after firing me. No body else would take the job, due to the investigation or incoming sanctions.
MrHoncho

Postby CoachC » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:48 am

It's the only thing i can think of that would explain the huge sudden drop in job security other than a bug. I wouldn't have even known about my coach being mentioned in an investigation if I hadn't been making a habit of reading the logs every week.
CoachC

Next

Return to DDS: College Basketball 2019 General Discussion